Comments

15 responses to “Amy Severson Looks at Liquor Sales in Dallas”

1. Eric Celeste says:

Let’s talk for a minute about how much AmyS loves me.

2. Lindsay says:

Sorry, that’s me. Following Eric’s lead, trying to lose a little weight. The liquor has been cut back.

I will drink more. I will.

4. Dallasite says:

August wasn’t that bad for us; we lost money, but alcohol sales were up overall. July was nothing but ugly though. We did a third less in July than we did in June or August.

5. Sabrina says:

She must be keeping The Beaverhausen family out of her statistics then!

6. Puddin'Tane says:

Sobering Times.

7. Amy S says:

@Dallasite (xoxo) – which is why I didn’t detail any specific licensees. Your place ran against the trend, many of the places had much higher July sales than August.

Looking at one specific place’s numbers doesn’t necessarily give an answer – I mean look at Ounce, they were one of the few that paid their taxes ahead of deadline. Yet two months later they were closed.

I’d also like to point out that alcoholic beverage sales generally count for 1/3 of a restaurant’s sales, so the numbers could be extrapolated to how much food sales MAY have decreased (and thus sales tax revenue). Except that the TABC numbers do include many bars which do not sell any food. But I think I say that the trend is for a decrease, and that fewer investors will be willing to accept the increased risk of opening a restaurant.

Oh, and I told my husband we started the wrong concept – we should have gone topless. It was an awakening experience to see their monthly tax bills. Eric, I would have hired you, For Sure.

Those are restaurant/tavern licensees. I’d guess retail sales are correspondingly up.

9. Amy S says:

Retail alchol sales only collect an 8.125 percent sales tax, vs. 14% gross receipts tax. And on food at the grocery the sales tax is zero.

10. Bill says:

It probably does not help revenue now that the “in” thing to drink in bars are whole bottles of Boone’s Farm wine. How this started I have no idea. Screw Cap Boone’s Strawberry Hill is now all over Uptown. Like a plague. PBR, we hardly knew ye as a fad!

11. Is Boone's ... says:

really that much worse than White Zin? Why don’t they just start putting sugar in the house red …

12. Billusa99 says:

It would be interesting to know how much of this booze tax downturn is related to people not eating out at all, vs:
    – buying less expensive bottles of wine at dinner, or
    – forgoing the pre-dinner cocktail, or
    – only getting 2 glasses of wine total with dinner.

I suspect a lot of that is going on.

13. Puddin'Tane says:

Billusa: it’s all about finding out the restaurants that have half price wine nights and setting up a schedule to make the rounds.

True wine-o’s know this.

14. Dallasite says:

Amy S,

I know our restaurant may be atypical, and the TABC does their best to rape us every month, but luckily we are holding our own (so far). I hope your place is doing so as well.

We considered topless as well, but the customers kept telling me to put my shirt back on.