Random Question About Houses and Streets

Alt. Hed.: Things One Might Wonder As One Walks In The Morning.

What — or who — determines how many digits are in the number of the addresses of houses on a street? Can any smart FrontBurnervian (is there any other kind?) tell me? Do developers get to decide if it’s going to be, say, 1313 Mockingbird Lane versus 131 Mockingbird Lane versus 13131? Does the city? And why are some houses four numbers off from their neighbor, some six, some whatever? If we don’t find out the answer today, I guess we’ll have to wait until Friday.

Comments

10 responses to “Random Question About Houses and Streets”

Teardowns and McMansions? If you buy two lots, with two houses on it, tear them both down, and build one big house, wouldn’t your number be four numbers off?

2. allison says:

I live in one building that has 4 different street numbers and my street number is 20 off from the next closest, which is a mere 50 feet away. I know it has to do with the division of the mailboxes, but other people have a street number that’s 98 numbers off from the main one. Again, we’re all in one building, and there are only 4 floors of apts. Go figure.

3. MIssing Dots says:

answer is on wiki – “House Numbers”

4. KR says:

My townhouse development skips numbers between units. These are _townhouses_. They are _attached_ to one another. Who’s going to build a place in between them?

5. Wes Mantooth says:

In my admittedly limited experience, a residential developer can name the streets and numbers, but there are usually restrictions (like not using a name already in use elsewhere in town) and many municipalities have requirements that are in part to make it easier for fire/rescue to find a house in an emergency. But this is how we get subdivisions where all the streets are named for the developer, or the developer’s favorite classical composer, or other ridiculous conventions.

And is it just me, or does anyone else have to stifle their inner 13-year old from snickering when they hear “Brown Trail” on the morning traffic report?

6. Candy Evans says:

Hmmmm maybe we ought to post this question on our company’s Real Estate blog, DallasDirt…

7. Spamboy says:

Thanks for asking this, Adam. When I was running this past weekend, I thought of that question but didn’t know where to start (as only one person reads my blog, and I know they don’t know).

8. lee says:

Numbers in Universtiy Park and Highland Park get larger as the streets go west. I lived in the 7400 block of Caruth (Dallas) and the next block was the 3100 block. It is especially confusing where Dallas is on one side of the street and University Park on the other.

9. Lydia says:

In North Dallas, even numbers are on the south side of the street and odd numbers are on the north. However its the opposite in the Park Cities.
    How odd.

10. Mission says:

When the streets are developed the civil eng.& developer follows the number sequence approved in the adjacent tract already developed and approved by the city. The problem is for years every city made up it’s own rules.
    When streets cross into others citys it can go hay wire. The city is the control point.