Comments

24 responses to “Nove in Victory Park is Closed”

1. JS says:

You could just as easily say “Another overpriced Italian restaurant with mediocre food bites it.” The only one off the top of my head that I miss is Bice.

2. Jason says:

Get ready for more. I have eating at several overpriced eateries there. Never been back sense. Just like the W, it is too turbo for a sustainable audience.

More $8 to $20 meals will be needed.

3. amandacobra says:

In a more general sense, I am wondering how well the whole Victory Park thing will fare with the economy taking a nosedive. All those condos aren’t even finished but it seems like other than Mavs game nights, I never see foot traffic through Victory Park. I work in VP and I can assure you that very few people that work in the area can afford to lunch at the places in VP and it’s tough to navigate due to construction.

4. wes mantooth says:

Although it would surely portend the end of civilization, can you imagine how busy would be a Chili’s in VP? At least on game nights, that place would be packed. Same thing for an affordable bar, not a high-end chi-chi place. Open a Louie’s in VP and the place would blow up with business.

5. ^ There is a Chili’s that will be opening October and open year round at AAC/Victory Park.

6. km says:

The economy is fundamentally sound.

7. Jason says:

I am sure Hillwood already knows this. VP restaurants need to look more like Knox area that what they are today. High end restaurants are nice, but people don’t need them. The people down in VP want a $10 lunch and be able to pickup something good to go on their way up to their condo.

8. Jason says:

Oh yeah – replace Nove with Buca di Peppo with single serving portions. Then see what happens – $$$$$$$$$$$$.

9. SB says:

How about a place that is just as much of a bar as it is a restaurant? I think people want to hang out in Victory Park. Not take their family down there for a nice sit down dinner.

10. SB says:

And by bar, I mean a Vickery Park-type bar. Not a Ghost Bar/Ultra Lounge type bar.

11. amandacobra says:

@ SB

You could make a killing doing a cool, dive bar (corporate owned, of course because we’re being realistic here) catering to people who want to hang out in the last place downtown that doesn’t shut down at 5 (actual downtown) or smell like bus fumes and failure (West End). Add in a Mavs game and some pre/post drinks for those without kids in tow/not Ghostbar types? I can’t see it not working out.

12. SB says:

@amandacobra

I could not agree with you more. You throw a couple of places resembling the City Tavern in Victory Park and the money will flow in.

13. Buck says:

I’d vote for a Dunstons.

14. Jenn says:

I’ll put in a vote for another Italian place that needs some love. I went to Capriccio (next to the old BLT space) on Friday night. The food was very good, and the service was excellent. Clearly a local operation, and unfortunately empty. Prices were moderate (entrees ranging from about $15 to $30). This is the sort of place that could do well in Dallas, although I fear that the location may do it in because of no street frontage. If you’re a North Dallas-ite, give it a try.

15. Me says:

Yes! Agree about Capriccio. I had a great meal there a couple of weeks ago. Bad location, but food was fantastic. Prices were reasonable. Rooting for this one to succeed.

16. Bill says:

The painted plywood covering the old proshop on the SW side of the AAC says that a Chili’s is under construction there. Basically right across the driveway/paved street thing from Nove.

Sorry, but all those nouveau riche people throwing money around in the last couple years were using their homes as ATM machines. That money is gooooone. Those people would now be lucky to afford the valet parking.

17. Mark Cahill says:

It’s not the restaurant’s fault – it’s the LOCATION. Not enough peo0ple living in the area. This morning one of the workers said Nine Steakhouse was next. Retailers in Victory Park are lucky to get 2-3 customers a day.

The place needs the 6,000 units of housing promised by Perot when they made the ACC-VP deal. So far, they’ve only built 600 – about 10%. How can anyone expect the retail or restaurants to work?

It’s not just the price-points, people. Face it: VP is too soulless even for Dallas. You couldn’t open a Vickery Park or Louie’s there by definition. You could open something called Beauchamp’s Ragin’ Cajun Food Friends & Fun, which is precisely the kind of place I suspect you’ll find there once it all shakes out. Basically, the West End II. And this time, it’s still impersonal!

I don’t think VP ever attracted an actual clientele — just curiosity seekers who went there oncee or twice and saw what all the hubbub wasn’t about.

19. mm says:

@amanda and SB: City Tavern IS in downtown, which is cited as shutting down after 5 PM. I’m so confused.

Actually, there are lots of places open after 5 PM downtown nowadays.

20. Danno says:

Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got. Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot. Wouldn’t you like to get away? Sometimes you want to go
    Where everybody knows your name,

21. Bryan C says:

22. Cali says:

VP is a set piece for Pete Delkus other people paid for.

23. Mike says:

“I heard that the n9ne group is pulling out of dallas, the steakhouse is next and the plans for the new nightclub are off the table and Ghostbar has been on the decline”

Do these companies write into their business plans that we’re going to gear our establishments strictly to the douchebag crowd? In a city with this many bars and restaurants, focusing on exclusivity is only going to work for a select few new ventures. Appeal to the masses, or at least the common man with a dollar in his pocket and a taste for a cocktail, and you might stop losing millions.