Leading Off (9/17/08)

1. A Coppell homeowners association forced a resident to pull up his Obama yard signs. I haven’t seen it with my own eyes, but I’ve heard Wick has a larger-than-life animatronic statue of Obama in his yard that waves to passersby.

2. DISD is preparing to call a financial exigency,” which would set the table for layoffs. Knowing what this will likely mean to my son’s elementary, and projecting that effect across the district, makes me profoundly sad.

3. Here’s what I don’t get about the newly renovated Cotton Bowl (at a cost of $57 million): in 2010, the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic moves to the Cowboys Deathstar. That’s where the Cotton Bowl will be played, in Arlington. But the Cotton Bowl remains the Cotton Bowl. If the city owns the Cotton Bowl stadium, shouldn’t it own the “Cotton Bowl” name? Take the game, fine. But how’d we lose the name?

Comments

35 responses to “Leading Off (9/17/08)”

1. I Love Google says:

Stupid DMN … according to the article I linked to above (which doesn’t want to work)

The Cotton Bowl Athletic Association registered the name “Cotton Bowl Classic” in 1999 with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, according to the agency’s Web site and documents obtained by The Morning News.

The organization confirmed that the document was in use in 2004, as required.

Michael Drucker, vice president and associate general counsel for Collegiate Licensing Co., which numbers the Cotton Bowl Classic among its clients, notes that the name goes back to the bowl’s infancy.

“That’s almost 70 years of continuous use of the Cotton Bowl name,” Mr. Drucker said. “Together with the registration, it gives the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association very, very solid and strong rights to the name regardless of where they play the game.”

Cotton Bowl president Rick Baker said the name represents a valuable brand as one of the original New Year’s bowls.

“Not one time have we been challenged as to the ownership of our name Cotton Bowl Classic or any variation thereof,” Mr. Baker said. “I think it’s obvious that the Cotton Bowl Athletic Association has had the rights to this brand for a long time. We are the entity that’s brought value to it, that’s nurtured it, that’s protected it.”

Example? The Orange Bowl is no longer played in the Orange Bowl.

2. Nathan says:

When are you guys going to talk about Harlan Crow and the hotel referendum?

3. Michael says:

I Love Google – Your link works except there is an extra “/” at the end of the link. Take it out and you can go to the story. Thanks for providing that link.

4. Laying off more than 700 innocent people doesn’t make me sad, it makes me angry. But hey, if you multiply 700 by a starting salary of $40,000, you only get to $28 million. There’s still another $36 million to go here fokes.

5. IMH says:

Same way the Dallas Cowboys get to keep the “Dallas” in there name despite having left, and now never to return, to Dallas. They own the name.

6. GuiltyBystander says:

If DISD can declare they have the power to lay off folks with contracts, let’s make sure they start at central office where there are quite a few principals who couldn’t get the job done and were “kicked upstairs” because they were under contract. Cut the fat before we cut the meat.

7. Glenn Hunter says:

To say that Obama offers a “deeply conservative view” of anything seems wrong-headed, Wick. He’s a European socialist-type who will eagerly expand government in every realm. McCain says he’ll rein in spending, if that’s what bothers you about Bush. On the other hand, we’ve spent so much because wars aren’t cheap. No one likes war. But sometimes, when fanatics are strapping on bomb vests en masse and blowing up kids on buses and slicing the heads off Jews, you tend to say, Enough is enough, and want to hit them back.

8. Amy S says:

Daddy, at PR you’re great, at budgeting, not so.

For each employees salary, an entity can expect to add at least an additional 40% to cover taxes, paid time off, workers comp costs, health insurance and pensions. Your figures also assume a starting salary for a base-level experience rating, what about bilingual teachers that were hired – don’t they receive extra? As do teachers who perform after hours programs (i.e. tutoring)?

I think it’s maddening that we had $125M sitting on the frigging sidelines while kids were being failed. A bond market that devours “zero-verification” mortgage loans is going to consider a school district a bad risk if their reserves drop – what a bunch of “spin”. I think current headlines shows there’s a disconnect – Wall Street bond buyers should be more concerned if our district is failing it’s goals to educate kids.

Personally, assuming it all went towards front-line personnel, I think the $64M spending issue was brilliant. The maddening part is that the superintendent is being forced to undo it.

And how about Plano, and other cities in Texas, today’s DMN pointed out that PISD is dipping into their reserves for the second year in a row. As are other districts around the state – because the state is not sending them the proper amount of funding to educate the kids.

Any word yet from the state how this year’s revised Franchise tax fared – income wise? It was supposed to be the saving grace for school districts – did it deliver?

9. Chris says:

East Dallas, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out.

10. Gwyon says:

“But sometimes, when fanatics are strapping on bomb vests en masse and blowing up kids on buses and slicing the heads off Jews, you tend to say, Enough is enough, and want to hit them back.”

And so you hit back without thinking.

11. Josh Pearson says:

Agreed, Glenn. And I’ll go you one better. Whomever gets elected in November will be bringing troops home from Iraq in their first term. That means more consumers coming back to the states and the war spending gets reduced dramatically. So, the next president already has an advantage as far as government spending and economic strength. Unless, of course, they try to funnel those funds into “other” government programs and expenditures.

12. Bob says:

Actually, prior to the Cotton Bowl name, the facility was Fair Park Stadium. Could revert to that.

13. Sway says:

Cotton Bowl moving = sad subject for me. OU Texas weekend won’t be the same once it goes to Arlington for me. Having the Cotton Bowl in Dallas provided such an atmosphere around Dallas that reminded me of my college days. Moving it to Arlington only forces me to pay more for a ticket, drive farther, and forces me to make new memories that won’t be as sweet as those created at the Cotton Bowl, the Cotton Bowl is home to the classic rivalry between two truly great teams, Jones’ Palace is not worthy of such a magical event that is OU Texas Weekend! In my opinion they should rename the game to “The Guy with Too Much Money and his Mayor Buddies Bowl”.

Yep, that was Iraqi all right — a hotbed of Islamic extremism until we came along and brought law and order to the place.

Thanks for the refreshingly nuanced geopolitical analysis we’ve come to expect, Glenn.

15. SB says:

Oh man, I just looked at the woodwork and I can already see the crazies crawling out to attack Josh and Glenn. This post is gonna get out of hand and fast.

I have a divot in my forehead from banging my head on my desk now.

17. Matt says:

The Cotton Bowl Athletic Association filed for the term “Cotton Bowl Classic” for “entertainment services, namely, organizing, promoting and staging an annual intercollegiate football game, parade and related events” in 1997, claiming a first use in 1938.

State Fair of Texas Corporation has a senior mark, though, for “Cotton Bowl” for “PROVIDING STADIUM AND FIELD FACILITY SERVICES FOR FOOTBALL GAMES”, filed in 1987 and claiming a first use in 1936.

I think if they wanted, the State Fair of Texas corporation would have a fair shot at getting the “Cotton Bowl Classic” mark canceled, and preventing Jerry from using it.

18. Tom says:

The “paid blogger Bat signal” is now visible over North Texas. Hang on to your hats.

19. amandacobra says:

I wasn’t aware that we were currently at war with the area formerly known as Palestine. Weird.

The strapping bombs on themselves and blowing themselves up in markets seems to have really risen exponentially in Iraq since we came in there.

I love the phrase “war on terrorism” because it really takes chutzpah to declare war on something that has existed worldwide since the 11th century, if not earlier.

20. SB says:

Actually Daniel, the more of your comments I’ve read over the past few months, the more I’ve grown to like you. I’m not taking a stance on this one. I’m just gonna sit back and watch the havok ensue.

21. Jason says:

Josh and Glenn,

Thanks for reminding us all that Republican’s are the party that will shrink the government. Now I’m just trying to find a good chart that I can show all my social commie friends, so we can get them on board too. All I can seem to find is this chart from that crazy Perot guy:

For some reason, it seems to show the giant growth in gov. beginning in 1980. Who was President then? I can’t seem to remember? Help me sculpt my message because these crazy kids have too much access to all of this quantifiable data these days.

22. yikesdallas says:

I know the Cotton Bowl game is moving to Arlington, but isn’t Texas/OU during the State Fair staying? Or at least, an agreement moving it hasn’t been signed off on?

What I think is most annoying is that Jerry Jones’ son Stephen is on the Cotton Bowl committee, which then “magically” proceeds to move the game to Jones’ new stadium. That just doesn’t sound on the up-and-up to me.

23. Tim Rogers says:

@ Amy S: You’re the reason I have faith in commenters. Thank you.

24. yikesdallas says:

And on another note… it’s the Republicans who have been expanding the gosh darn government lately! To keep spouting off the old “crazy socialist liberals are gonna spend all our money!” mantra is just proving you haven’t been keeping up with the facts.

25. Tom says:

@yikes: From the bottom third of the story linked in No. 3, “…the historic game that is set to continue at the Cotton Bowl at least through 2015.”

26. Spamboy says:

@Tim I fondly remember Wick’s animatronic Obama statue — everytime I went to Showbiz Pizza, I put a few quarters into it and he & the Rock-afire Explosion would perform a few tunes.

27. orange u on vacation says:

Tim/Amy: Right on. When I first saw that $64M number and that it was blamed on hiring teachers, I thought there was something up. But when you divide it out to the number of positions, you end up with about $80K per person, which is about right.

Not saying it wasn’t a stupid screw-up, though…

So who is looking into all these “bumped up the ladder” folks who don’t do anything, that we are always reading about? Is the DMN or D or Observer or anyone going through the payroll and knocking on office doors to see if there’s really a bunch of Rojas rejects partying it up at double salary out in some remote DISD office somewhere?

28. Josh Pearson says:

@ Jason
    Look, nobody can look at the past few years and claim the government has been fiscally responsible with the growth rate and with spending. What I am looking at are the platforms of the two current nominees for president. Hint: Bush isn’t one of them.

What I see when I compare those two platforms is mostly “I’ll put a coke machine in every hallway and extend Spring Break and Christmas vacation by two weeks.” But, when you dig into the meat of what each person seems to think is important over the next four years, I believe you will see that one candidate appears to be very serious about curbing government growth and spending and one candidate appears to desire to expand the role that government plays in just about every arena.

That approach doesn’t appear to be very “conservative” to me. IJS.

29. Jason says:

Come on, Josh. You can’t point to election drive rhetoric as a true gauge of what a party will end up moving forward with.

Take a look at W’s archived Issues during the 2000 campaign:

Or better yet…remember the Contract with America?:

Exact same promises. IJS.

30. Josh Pearson says:

The truth is, you can’t tell what the hell a party will end up moving forward with, especially since both parties this year are running on campaigns of “reform” and “change”. Maybe I’m just slow, but as poorly as the government has performed over the past years, I don’t think more government is the right answer…

31. JB says:

I think in 2010 they are going to call it: The Arlington AIG/Lehman Bothers Bowl.

32. JB says:

“Brothers” -sorry

33. SB says:

On a side note, Jason, I wouldn’t knock someones else’s ability to source their argument when you back yours up by citing Wikipedia.

34. Jason says:

Honestly, I don’t think talking about shrinking our government at a time when powerhouses like AIG, Fannie Mae, Bear Stearns, and Freddie Mac are having to run to the federal purse to stay alive, is productive. This meltdown occurred due to lack of federal regulations, exactly what you get when you throw a business/wealthy-first political party at a problem. Their mantra of “smaller government, less taxes”, was actually a veiled cry of “stop getting in the way of my corrupt business practices”. Now that they’re floundering, they’re needing every bit of those tax dollars that they were railing against just to keep them on life support. If these guys collapse, we’re all gonna pay…much more than we are now.