Leading Off (9/15/08)

1. Hurricane Ike didn’t do much damage to North Texas. But we’ll be seeing the effects for at least the next few weeks, since evacuees won’t be going home anytime soon. I plan to use them as scapegoats the entire time.

2. In case you haven’t been warned recently, go ahead and put another hand on your hat and hold on as tightly as possible. If you need me, I’ll be melting down all my gold jewelry.

3. Dr. Cliff Spiegelman is the latest to raise doubt that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. He’s also the latest who will never be able to remotely prove anything.

Comments

15 responses to “Leading Off (9/15/08)”

1. amandacobra says:

On NPR this morning, in reference to the Lehman/Merrill Lynch/AIG meltdowns, I heard this:

“The Feds are also starting to revise, reconsider and expand what they will accept as collateral when considering bailout loans, particularly in the case of AIG”

See this water cooler does cold water AND it can do hot water for soup and tea too!

2. Spamboy says:

1 = Am I the only person who thinks that Galvestonians that ignored evacuation orders and then called for rescue should be charged with something, as it puts their rescuers in danger?

3. Lisa says:

Spamboy – I think people who ignored the mandatory evacuation should be charged with the cost of their rescue. These were the same people casually strolling along the sea wall on Friday insisting there was no problem with riding out the storm.

If they charge people when they drive around barricades and end up stranded in high water during flash floods, I think that charging them to rescue them if they ignore evacuation orders is also reasonable.

5. John Bacon says:

Ike’s death toll is going to be in the thousands. It will take weeks if not months to figure out the #.

The first bands of Financial Ike started hitting late last week. When the Asian markets tanked early this morning, I knew the economic storm would be massive as well. The eye of this hurricane is well defined; Wall St. Its effects will be felt globally.

What a wild week this will be. At first I felt bad for friends who work at ML and Lehman. After seeing my scottrade acct spin out of control, I now feel bad for me.

6. You plan on using them as scapegoats, I plan on taking a roadtrip to loot their stuff (or what’s left of it)

=w=
    healthryder.blogspot.com

7. SB says:

Anyone else notice that the comments on Wick’s DISD post (right above Leading Off) were briefly on and now have been turned off? Wonder why that is?

I think it’s because folks were pointing out that they obviously don’t discuss how not to use logical fallacies in your arguments at the Rich Old [email protected] Club.

There were two comments shortly before comments were turned off. Maybe they were particularly vile.

9. Wes Mantooth says:

Non-evacuees in Galveston and the geniuses on Wall St. provide solid evidence that Mencken had it right when he said that nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

10. amandacobra says:

Even if it is an exaggeration just to scare people into leaving, when I am on an ISLAND and the words “certain death” are mentioned and there is a ferry readily available to take me off said island, I just can’t see what the reasoning for NOT evacuating would be. Your house is going to be damaged regardless of whether or not you are inside it.

I read in the DMN Sunday that one couple decided to leave after hearing on the TV that those deciding to leave should pin their Social Security cards to their chests, to help with identifying bodies.

12. Jay says:

I watched the news last night (Hi Gloria!) and was dumbfounded at all of the angry people. One mom was PO’d at FEMA because her infant had only been “given a Pop Tart in 3 days”. I guess the hurricane snuck up on her or something. Hey, where’d everybody go? Oh snap, storm surge!

Now I realize that there are plenty of good folks down there that were physically and financially incapabable of leaving. And those poor souls were and are in my prayers and deserve all the help we can give. But when the National Weather Service says “Certain Death” in a friggin’ advisory and you ignore it, well caveat surfer.

Seems like we a 2,000 way tie for 2008 Darwin award winner.

13. Wes Mantooth says:

Has the copy editing at the DMN gotten that bad, or does that couple just have a deathwish?

14. amandacobra says:

All the city workers, police and emergency personnel who had to stay on the island did have to write their Social Security numbers on their arms in permanent marker before the storm came just in case.

I know this is morbid but that’s actually SOP for coastal police that have to stay behind and stand down a hurricane per what my police officer father tells me.

15. Randy Brown says:

I don’t think Oswald acted alone.