Immigration is Complicated, and So is Spelling “Waxahachie”

Stories like this one about 13-year-old Julie Quiroz, forced to abandon her mother and live in a place called “Waxahatchie,” are why I think, no matter what side you take on immigration, you have to admit there’s got to be a better way to handle this situation. What that is, I couldn’t say. Of course, knowing some of our semi-regular commenters, and the people who will drop in based on this post, there is no chance anyone will be admitting or agreeing on anything. Except for the fact that CNN.com probably has the resources to figure out how to spell Waxahachie.

Comments

10 responses to “Immigration is Complicated, and So is Spelling “Waxahachie””

1. OneArtDirector says:

I feel sorry for those kids. It is too bad that the mother put her family in this predicament by not entering this country via legal means.

2. Spamboy says:

I think Waxahatchie is just outside Bear County.

3. JAX says:

It’s all about supply and demand. As long as we American’s make it easy on immigrants by paying them cash when they clean our houses, mow our yards, babysit our children and enable ourselves to be consumers of companies that employ immigrants, we will have to deal with the exodus of those who are desperate for a better life.
    I would flee Mexico if I lived there, because after all, it’s not all cerveza, white sand and sun in Mexico. And as long as the Mexican government encourages migrants to leave their country to send money back to support their economy, then we will always have to deal with immigrants. Migrants are not motivated to cheat Americans out of public services. They are motivated by the desperation and hopelessness that permeate every facet of their lives.
    On that note, Mexican’s are not the only people here illegally. My sibling is a director of a non-profit in Colorado and the illegal’s are not always, ‘brown’. They also consist of Middle Eastern, Asian, Australian/New Zealand and European descents. They just fall off the radar because they AREN”T Mexican. Sure, you Texans are hypersensitive about the illegal issue and will try to argue that it’s always the Mexicans fault. However, we should all educate ourselves before we judge. They are so many issues to consider and too many sad stories like this one.
    I will not deny that I am sick of the immigrants that get arrested and flee to their mother country for protection, I will not deny that if I see one more pregnant Hispanic teen I will scream, and I will not deny that I am angry at that mother for putting her child in that situation.
    But how many homeless people do we see downtown who are white and black? Do you think they will wash dishes? Mow lawns? Babysit in the upscale neighborhoods? Hell no. We are all pawns in this game of politics, Democratic or Republican, rich or poor, legal or illegal. And until this country stops using this issue as a political game, it will never change.

4. JB says:

……”because after all, it’s not all cerveza, white sand and sun in Mexico.”

I reject that. There is beige sand and Margaritas too.

5. Tom says:

It’s both funny and sad that the story has been on CNN.com for more than 6 hours now and they still haven’t corrected the spelling of Waxahachie.
    If “Waxahatchie” native Stone Phillips worked at CNN, the person responsible would have been escorted from the building.

6. skeptic says:

I am sure the schools in Mexico will conduct classes in English for all the returning ‘anchor babies’.

7. Dave from Ennis says:

All they have to do is say it and spell it like we do in Ennis…

‘Hachie. (sux)

🙂

8. Saakashvili says:

I love Mexicans and welcome all of them to this great state and country of mine. In 50 years everybody’s going to be a nice shade of mocha…

9. Spamboy says:

@slerriet’s comment looks like spam (and I would know)