Former Dallas Writer Gives FB Some Love … Sort Of

John Gonzalez used to work for the Dallas Observer, and now he’s a sports columnist for the Philly Inquirer. In today’s column, he talks about the worst things in Dallas and names FrontBurner as one:

FrontBurner: It’s a reasonably successful blog in Dallas that enjoys making fun of the Eagles and our fair city. I encourage you to visit the site and introduce yourself, Philly style.

I suppose he means by commenting in barely literate prose, riddled with exclamation points. I think that’s “Philly style.” BTW: His column is called “Gonzo.” Seriously. I’m not making that up.

Comments

31 responses to “Former Dallas Writer Gives FB Some Love … Sort Of”

1. Jay says:

Yum, FrontBurner Philly-style. I’ll take mine with extra cheese sauce and onions please. And a large Coke. I mean Pepsi. Sorry.

2. The Ghost of Buddy Ryan's Cheesesteak says:

Youse guys are gonna eats it bad tonight. Screw T.O. War Eagles Nation. Romo is gonna pull a Irvin neck. Philly rules.

Rocky!!!

3. Towski says:

I’d like to apologize for the above. It was a lackluster effort on my part. I think I’m having a low blood sugar.

I already hopped on there and mocked them. We should do that. All of us.

5. amandacobra says:

Oh man. I cannot wait.

I like his theory that a popular topic on FrontBurner is the town of Philadelphia. God, how I tire of our ENDLESS discussions of Philadelphia! It’s always Philly this and Philly that.

Here, let’s get the ball rolling: if there’s one thing that Eagles fans love more than Philly, it’s convincing themselves that every other city they play thinks or talks about Philly as often as they do.

6. Towski says:

But Philly is so progressive! Not even San Francisco has the testicular fortitude to derive their nickname from hot man on man action…

7. Jay says:

I think John may have just Googled Frontburner and Eagles and saw a bunch of posts. I guess he didn’t read that they were actually lyrics from “Life’s Been Good”.

btw John, your quarterback Don Henley SUCKS!

8. Bleacherbum says:

Philadelphia is actually a pretty good college town. Not something you’d ordinarily associate with the “City of Brotherly Love,” I know. But you’ve got U Penn, Temple and Drexel U, for starters. I’d take any of those over Bush U.

9. amandacobra says:

I guess that’s how Gonzo journalists roll. Just google stuff and read the bold words in the results but not within their context.

Yep, those Gonzo journalists have the cojones to Google the way the rest of us only dream of Googling.

The men of Philly are jess s’damn fearless!

11. dave little says:

Philadelphia, when you think about it, is really just Pittsburgh without the glitz.

12. IttyBittyWussy says:

Which is, in turn, Wheeling WV without the glamor.

13. Maz says:

To quote (misquote) James Carville, Pennsylvania has three distinct parts: “You’ve got Pittsburgh in the west, Philly in the east and Alabama in the middle.”

14. jrp says:

hey, yo, what am i chopped liver, over here, huh?

tell your boy Gonzo i introduced myself to the FB nation a few years ago and have been extolling the virtues of my beloved hometown ever since

and Dallas, when you think about it, is really just pretentious

15. michael says:

Pretentious? Really? There are too many goofballs and cartoon-like characters to elevate it to the level of pretentious.

Dallas is Los Angeles without the A/B list movie stars and ocean.

But, darn it, we have lots of D listers and bathwater quality lakes.

16. jrp says:

second definiton: characterized by assumption of dignity or importance

’bout sums up much of the Big D i’ve come to know the past three years

and i’m saying Birds 31-17 ‘Boys

17. brett says:

Philly is the Houston of Pennsylvania

18. amandacobra says:

Yeah when your city wins that ‘honor’ of a George W. Bush Presidential Library, the one name no one can ever call you is “pretentious”

How’s that coming along, btw?

19. Not in my neighborhood says:

I know that this isn’t accurate, but I prefer to think that the library is being built in the Park Cities, not Dallas proper. It helps me sleep at night.

20. vceleste says:

Gonz is HOT.

21. JB says:

Really, if it wasn’t for the Liberty Bell, and a Rocky Balboa statue, Philadelphia would be just another Cleveland or Iowa City. Hell, I bet Waco is more interesting. All Hail the Romo Empire!!!

22. Josh Pearson says:

I just turned down two great seats to this game. Wanna know why? Philly fans and the concrete toilet. Need I say more?

23. Josh Pearson says:

And, by the way, JRP, are you smoking the root again? 31-17? Really? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t trust the Cowboys secondary, and McNabb and Westbrook are great, but they have nothing else on offense. If T.O. doesn’t get the yips because he’s so jacked up for the game, the ‘Boys take it by 13 points. Easy.

24. Kid Philly says:

Dallas fans being scared of Philly fans in their own stadium…priceless. And no, I think you’ve sumed it up quite nicely, JP.

25. dave little says:

Why doesn’t he call his column “Scattershooting Because
    I Live in Philadelphia”

26. Squier says:

Gonzo doesn’t speak on behalf of Philly, to be honest.

And I’ve been to both Philly and Pittsburgh, and Philly is much better. Pittsburgh’s a tad bit more clean and new looking, but Philly has much more to do, much more atmosphere. I’ve liked all the Philly people I’ve known.

And Dallas bored me the couple of times I’ve been there. It seems like the whole city is practically shut down by 6.

27. dave little says:

We only shut down at 6 when you come to town, Squier.

28. Gonz leading a sports column with a food reference? It’s like 2001 all over again.

29. jrp says:

i hate yous all

great great game and i had a blast with all the cowboys fans in section 102…lots of give and take in the trash talking department but plenty of respect all around

didn’t see one fist fight

and, yes, i still partake in the sticky icky

did i mention that i hate yous all

30. Josh Pearson says:

I wish all Philly fans were like jrp. Maybe then I wouldn’t be “scared” to go to the game. And it was a GREAT game. Not sure how many more of those my heart can take, though.