Comments

19 responses to “Dallas Morning News Shedding 270 Employees”

1. MJL says:

WTF?? Last I heard, they were saying 40 folks would need to leave the newsroom….am I reading this right? Two hundred and seventy??? Please tell me I’m reading that wrong. Please.

2. Texas Flood says:

That number includes all departments, not just the newsroom.

3. Tom says:

That number may not reflect the actual number of humans who are leaving. Either they include vacant positions, or jobs in advertising and production (in addition to the newsroom), or both. I’m sure we’ll see more info/details from those inside the glass doors at 508 Young Street.

4. I'm Just Sayin' says:

The DMN told their staff that about 400 people needed to go. They offered every single employee a “buyout package” that consisted of 2 weeks pay for every year you had been there and 6 mos. insurance coverage (paid to you up front). If you took it (which why would you, because it sucks) your manager had to approve your leave. If your manager said “no” – you stayed and took a risk that your boss was mad that you tried to quit. If you didn’t take it, you risked getting the axe and leaving with nothing. I’m not sure how many people took the offering, but I don’t think it was many.

5. publicnewsense says:

I’ll bet Great Grandpa George Bannerman Dealey regrets not having been neutered.

6. anon says:

the amount of clueless comments people leave on here sometimes is beyond me. The blogs are great, the comments, so misinformed, so often. I guess people like to think (or even believe?) they know actually information. I’M JUST SAYIN’

7. Wes Mantooth says:

Al Dia = El Finito?

8. Cliff says:

With a staff of, wow, 15 it looks like from their Opinion Blog page, is it any wonder the DMN editorial page is the consistently award-winning, multi-page Olympian trove of editorial profundity and richness and letters from readers and purchased and cropped reprints and excerpts and contracted freelance pieces that it is?

Who needs a news and production staff? That’s what the internets are for. Lose any one of these powerhouses of contemporary thought, lights that guide us all through each dark day

Dreher, Rod
    Nelson, Colleen McCain
    Robberson, Tod
    Rush, Jarrett
    Simnacher, Betsy
    Stockdale, Nicole
    Willey, Keven Ann

and Uncle Bob might as well turn the Young St. property into a convention center hotel.

Thank God only the newspaper is being gutted, not our Editorial Page and Opinion Blog.

9. Someone else says:

First of all, I’m Just Sayin, if you have your details right — which apparently is in question — then the buyout package DMN is offering sounds much the same as at many papers going through buyouts right now, including guild-covered papers. The COBRAs vary — but six months isn’t awful by current industry standards, either.

Second, if it’s true DMN offered buyouts to folks in advertising, then DMN quite simply has a death wish. Why would you try to get rid of the people whose job it is to bring in income? Especially during this very rough newspaper market.

So does anyone have a list of newsroom employees who’ll be leaving?

10. jrp says:

Cliff just listed a few…i’m kidding

we’ll all know soon enough and it’s just the voluntary severance offer (or VSO, love that corp speak) that’s just “been completed”

now the involuntary severance program (or the shitcanned plan in my speak) begins

fun times all around
    now pass that bottle of Jim Beam my way please

11. Down the Road says:

Oh, Good Lord. Doesn’t anyone know how to use Google? See here for details not covered in the corporate press release.

The buyouts were hoped to cull 40 out of the newsroom at the DMN. It got about 21-22. Just how many isn’t clear.

Names bandied about include Erich Schlegel, David Leeson and Richard Pruitt of photo; David McLemore of the San Antonio Bureau, and Karin Shaw Anderson, a Metro reporter.

Those folks will be gone Sept. 12.

Next comes the layoffs. AH Belo has decreed that 50 more will leave involuntarily. They will be gone likely by mid-October.

Then, hilarity ensues.

12. AH says:

Advertising Execs (Street people – not management) where not offered the buyout.

All others were.

There were some very good people lost. People who have children and regular lives. Liberals, Conservatives and Indys. Black, white, young old, male and female. People who read D – people who don’t. They all had one thing in common – they believed in what TDMN was doing and many have lost a career that spanned decades.

To all of you at the FB nation who ridicule and bash every move made by Belo – these are your brothers and sisters in the information family.

Don’t be surprised if you are next.

13. anon says:

Actually AH, every advertising exec and sales person (or street people as I guess you call them) was offered the buyout. C’mon guy, KNOW SOMETHING.

14. Snotty-tot says:

Indeed. Damning entire organizations based on the actions of a few is wrong.

15. Long Memory says:

I was out yesterday, so I’m just catching up this morning, and I’d like to offer a Sitting Ovation to Tom, for his post of yesterday at 4:40 p.m, wherein he said: “I’m sure we’ll see more info/details from those inside the glass doors at 508 Young Street.”

Masterfully delivered, sir. (Bartender, I’ll have what he’s drinking.)

16. Tom says:

@Long Memory: Thanks. One only has to know what goes on behind those glass doors to understand how difficult this process can be.
    The good news: There are job opportunities out there for talented, hard-working ex-Belotians. You might have to look in some strange places and put aside some ideas and thoughts about other communications fields, but you’ll find them. The sun shines brighter and the air is quite refreshing once you emerge from those glass doors.

It’s BS to say that it’s difficult to lose your job, or to watch other people lose their jobs, and to point out that life outside of Belo is awfully nice, and you can get a good job that pays well?

18. Oh My Eyes says:

Maybe they can give each of the departing employees a “Cue-Cat” as a consolation prize/memento of the bad decisions that led to their unemployment.

19. RodDreherFan says:

Rod Dreher can teach at Woodrow Wilson. It will be interesting to see him squirm in a flood of poor non-white kids.