An Open Letter From Macie Jepson

Jepson says that ever since we reported that she’d been let go by WFAA Channel 8, she has wanted to write in and share her thoughts. She restrained herself, sounds like, and made sure she drafted the below with a clear head. And she says:

I loved my job at WFAA. I loved — truly loved my co-workers. My friends. I am thankful my WFAA career ended on the top. I am proud of the work we did and enjoyed it immensely.

Many thanks to everyone for your kind words and prayers. I’ve read a few of your blogs and am grateful. Blessed really. I am pleased that I will be remembered as a “real” person who delivered your news of the day with compassion and conviction. I believe those qualities are still important and can serve me well on the air again in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

In the meantime I’ve already enjoyed spending extra time with my husband and daughters, who are the real blessings in my life. As always I wish everyone the best and thanks to all for making my time at WFAA so enjoyable.

Thank you for allowing me some “down time” to regroup and make decisions about my next career steps. Please keep me and my family in your prayers.

Comments

53 responses to “An Open Letter From Macie Jepson”

1. publicnewsense says:

Bless her heart — Belo obviously dumped another class act…. Be nice if she could stay on the local air.

2. Kersten says:

Good luck, Macie. Many people miss seeing you regularly. On a positive note, at least you didn’t have to go to Louisiana and get beat to heck by high winds and rain like that smokin’ hot Pete Delkus. Enjoy the time with your family and I hope you land on your feet soon. Keep us posted.

3. Spamboy says:

She should team up with Rebecca Miller and all other wrongly-let-go on-air personalities and form a new regional TV station. Like an old-school Channel 11. πŸ™‚

4. We wish you the best, always, Macie. You always were fair and good to work with. It was always much appreciated.

DC

5. brett says:

she could take the place of jane mcgarity and inform us of which household products will kill us…tonight at 10

6. LakeWWWooder says:

“Class” is indeed the first word that comes to mind with Macie. And professionalism. Good luck to her – I have a feeling some other organization will treasure her and make bumbling BELO rue the day ‘she left’.

7. Drew says:

Enjoy your family time and read these comments with a smile and know how much you will be missed.

Hopefully, we’ll see you again soon. There is no one with more class and professionalism on air.

Best wishes

8. Brandon says:

I assume if one is let go, there wouldn’t be a non-compete. Therefore, I would be surprised if she didn’t get back on the air real soon…right here in DFW. I sure hope so.

Old-school 11 (The Super Ones) with Becky Miller? Not so sure about that one…

9. Towski says:

8 responses, and not one Greggo reference?

10. mm says:

I was disappointed, too.

*sigh*

Here:

Where’s Greggo? Maybe they can hire Greggo. Then arrange a cage-match between Greggo and Dale Hansen.

12. Towski says:

Thanks, Bethany. You are a peach.

13. PB says:

Such disappointment with the choices Channel 8 management is making these days. Do they ever do focus groups? I think not because sometimes I feel I’m the only person in my zip code who still watches 8. Best wishes to Macie and her family … a news source to be missed.

14. Larry T says:

BTW Macie: How worried are you now about rain messin’ with your weekends?

15. A.Stewert says:

I remember seeing you on channel 8 the first time thinking a natural sweet and pretty women who comes across as a southern debutante. I wish you the best and the Lakewood area will miss you. Remember FAMILY FIRST! That being The Channel 8 Motto…keep smiling

16. SueT says:

Just don’t get this… Top in the ratings, yet…Macie is a class act, and loved her at 5 and especially when she sat in for others. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? Hope you land soon, and I agree– you and Rebecca Miller would be a great team. Professional, classy and one of us.

17. Larry T says:

You folks need to find a life!
    She was an actor for Christ’s sake!
    She worked for a biased “media” whose only aganda is to sell product and mention “North Texas” as much as possible!

Sheeesh!

18. John E. Smith says:

Well I’m not going to be nasty like Larry, but Macie was an attractive person who read the news. No more, no less. No one would accuse her of being Edward R. Murrow. I’m sure that she is a nice woman with a nice family and is sweet to all whom she encounters. While it is sad that she lost her job, your neighbor down the street might have lost their job as well. Why don’t you go down the street and console them? So good luck Macie and all unemployed people everywhere.

19. Lisa says:

I simply don’t understand this decision. WFAA doesn’t know class when it’s right before their face. If Shelly Slater replaces Macie i will quit watching channel 8 all together. Talk about acting!

20. bighead says:

Macie, i wish you the best….it was enjoyable watching you….but at your next job please don’t cover your best assets up with a sport jacket πŸ™‚

21. Barbara Blanton says:

Macie, you will be missed! I don’t get all the changes but then I’m not too fond of Belo either. Hope you find just the right job to replace this you. I often watched you and will miss you.

22. Cliff Meadows says:

Well Macie it is Sept.16 and I just realized that you was not on Vacation.I am truly sorry to here that Belo had let you go. We loved your presence on channel 8s news. We will not continue to watch channel 8 news without you. Hope you an recca Miller both find a new home in the Fort Worth area.

23. dlm says:

I am not very happy with this decision. Macie was one of those you could count on not to do the “fluff” presentation. She came across as a natural.

Too bad.

Macie, I hope you find another place here in the DFW market or doing something even community-wise because you are a great addition to our community.

Good luck.

24. Eathan says:

I was unhappy to hear about them letting Macie go. I’m sure it has left her very frustrated, esp when you spend so much time and energy in your work. I hope we see you soon. You will be missed.

25. BL says:

I miss Mrs. Jepson and I miss seeing her friends every day at five. There’s little reason to watch Channel 8 news now, except maybe for Shelly Slater.

Seriously, I thought Macie was great, and WFAA showed what a bunch jerks they really are.

But, man, am I going to miss her friends…

26. TGC says:

My wife & I will really miss Macie! She was a major reason we watched WFAA afternoon news.

Now, with Charlie Gibson’s “attack” mode towards Sarah Palin, we are disgusted with ABC so we’ll be watching another news channel.

Macie, please land somewhere locally. We miss you.

27. Spamboy says:

@TGC Do you really think that Charlie was “attack”ing Sarah? Because he had a vendetta against her? Or that he was asking out-of-line questions? Most people would say no all these questions — he was very fair, and even let her get away with some answers that warranted additional followup.

28. Joseph says:

Hi Macie! This is Joseph! We shared some small talk (you were covering the corruption in the Dallas Sheriff Department)in the basement of the Lew Sterrett justice cener , about things you had coveredent and what i did for a living I just wanted to let you know, that after meeting you I started to follow your work and came to a decisive decision that you were a very genuine and compassionate person. I sincerly want to wish you the best at what your destiny has for you. I am confident and hopeful that it will be staying in the D/FW market. BYE

29. JMH says:

Macie,
    We do miss you. And we do indeed
    hope you land somewhere in the local
    area.
    Enjoy your time with your family!
    But, hope to see you back on the
    air soon.

30. TexasFred says:

First time I met Macie she was reporting for KTBS in Shreveport… She was a class act then and remains one to this day!

31. Lannie says:

Macie,
    I was really disappointed to see you go. Just want to let you know that a Shreveport native enjoyed watching another doing good work. Like the others, I hope to see you on another news team soon.

32. sherry says:

Macie,
    Don’t feel to bad Belo let a great guy like Scott Sams go.I know we will see your pretty face soon.
    A fan!

33. Larry T says:

I’m……trying…..to….post som……ething…..re…guarding…..the statement…..about Ccccccharlie…..Gibson…..attacking….The Lipstick……okinker……but……I ccccccan’t…….stop…..laughing…..long eno…ugh!

34. John says:

She was let go for expressing her religious beliefs in the form of a necklace (cross) worn on TV..Scott Sams was let go for similar reasons years before…I think it’s pretty black and white that news personalities cannot express their beliefs in an open forum as the news….SAD!

35. BobRippner says:

Macie
    Good luck to a very sweet professional newscaster who was a very welcome person into our home via television.Enjoy your time with your family , they are forever and the jobs show no loyalty or in WFAA’S case no brains either.I’m sure you will surface soon and look forward to seeing you again.

36. alicia says:

I am sorry that WFAA let Macie go. I don’t understand why the would let a classy lady go like that who was not pretentious or fake. She didn’t take alot of time off like some of the rest do. Gloria Campos takes more time off than Dale Hansen does. It must be nice to have a job that pays you not to be there. But then Macie was there and she got canned. Go figure! I’ll miss you Macie and will be praying for you and your family.

37. Larry T says:

Gloria “Compost” will never be fired. She has shown many times over the years that she uses the threat of “racial prejudice” to secure herself. Hansen is just a miserable ego infected self rightous old fart and a waste of salary.

38. Debra Beck says:

Macie, I have missed you. You were my favorite announcer. I can’t hardly watch Channel 8 anymore. Please go to Channel 4 because I have switched.

Enjoy your time off with your family.
    Good luck….and I will see you soon.

39. B>T. says:

TO Larry T

Seems to me you have nothing better to do than to blog and aggravate classy people. Or is this your daytime job. Macie Jepson, HONEY you have been set free, now it’s your time to FLY Girl FLY!!

40. Larry T says:

To B.T
    So many morons so little time.
    It is taxing…but…people like you “classy” one’s require my diligence and dedication.
    Aggrivate and Classy. Isn’t that an oxymoron?
    Can you really be one and experience the other?

41. Raque5000 says:

Macie, you were the reason I watched channel 8 news. It’s not the same without you!!

42. Rick DeBeer says:

Macie,

The best to your and yours. You are sorely missed as the classiest act on Channel 8.
    Success elsewhere is the best revenge. You go girl!

43. Ted Moffett says:

You are really missed. All I can figure is that you made a lot more money than some of those inept reporters that are still at Channel 8 and that the poor econmoy has caused Belo to cut costs. it certainly wasn’t due to quality. Why not that ASS Hansen, he says he makes lots of money, why not cut him and let you know sports, he doesn’t understand them.

44. John says:

Macie, you are the greatest. We’ve loved you ever since you arrived at Ch 8, and we were shocked – shocked and appalled – when Ch 8 let you go. What were they thinking!? You’ve demonstrated what a class act we always knew you to be by deferring your comments on your departure until now, and by keeping your remarks completely positive. Best of luck to you; any station would be lucky to have you. We’re very hopeful that you’ll remain in the Dallas market — I might even consider switching stations (we’ve watched Ch 8 for over 35 years) if you show up elsewhere. πŸ˜‰

45. Gail says:

Macie, I have missed seeing you so much. I did not know of WFAA’s decision. You are such a class person and a real professional on the air. I pray you will be picked up by another Dallas station and we will see you soon.

46. Lynette says:

Our family in Hillsboro misses seeing you on the evening news. God bless you and guide you. I am sure that he has wonderful things planned for you.

47. Sharen says:

Macie, I know you won’t remember, but I emailed you about 6 years ago and asked you what your middle name was and you told me. I told you that my son and daughter-in-law were having a baby and it was going to be a girl and they were naming her Macie, just like you. They were trying to figure out a middle name for her so I asked what your’s was. You also told me you were named after your grandfather, Mace. I thought that was just awesome! I also had the pleasure of meeting you in person in Ft. Worth one year at the Stock show. You are a very genuine person and I loved talking to you. You were a real asset to Channel 8 news and are truly missed. God bless you and your wonderful family and I hope to be seeing you again on the air!

48. Robert says:

I guess I’ve been living in a cave somewhere…it just dawned on me the other day…where’s Macie been. Now I know. I watch 8 news for one reason only and that’s sports with Hansen. maybe macie can learn to do the sports and take over for that Newie guy at channel 5….he is just to painful for me to watch….Macie, I grew up in New Orleans and you seem to be truly a class act. God bless and best wishes….Channel 8 needs to get their heads out of their butts!!!!

49. K9 says:

Macie, I hope you stay in the Dallas area. As for WFAA / Belo, I dumped them the day after you left. You were the last straw. I will NEVER understand why WFAA dumps their BEST people. As someone in the business told me back when Tracy went to Ch 11, the crew over there was lovingly called the BELO MAFIA. There will be a day of reckoning at BELO and when that happens, and their ratings TANK for lack of talent, you can sit back and just SMILE. Think back a few years Macie, the last time we talked was when our department burned down.

50. Kim says:

Macie, you are still missed! You lit up the studio and our homes with your smile and your beautiful laugh. Wishing the best for you.

Please let us know how you are doing.
    Sending thoughts and prayers to you.

51. Joelle says:

A few things that bother me. First letting Scott Sams go was the first HUGE mistake, and then Macie Jepson. My parents only watched channel 8 news and as a middle aged woman I chose to watch another channel in hopes I would see their faces. What is the problem with the Belo Company? Why let go two outstanding anchors who were never fake and just happy and upbeat. Makes me wonder! From what I have heard Channel 8 has lost alot of their fans due to the fact that they let their best people go. Channel 8 IF you listen you need to look at the people you keep as well as the ones you let go!! If not, I promise others wont be watching your channel much longer.SCOTT SAMS and MACIE JEPSON know that North Texas loves you and you are always our favvorites!!

52. Clarence says:

I THOUGHT I WAS NOT SEEING YOU LATELY!I MISS YOU ALREADY. I SEE YOU AS A BEAUTIFUL PROFESSIONAL.HAVE ENJOYED YOUR STYLE!I PRAY AND KNOW THAT A LOUISIANA GIRL WILL MAKE IT!
    I HOPE TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE BACK SOMEWHERE SOON!

53. Chris says:

Sorry to hear about what happened. I was wondering why I hadn’t heard from you in awhile. I know you will bounce back really quick. I can remember when we were kids growing up in LA, you wouldn’t let anyone get you down. I would love to hear from you.