In Jim Schutze’s latest column, he tackles the hot-button topic of the day, renaming Ross Avenue for Cesar Chavez. Somehow, our beloved commenter community found itself staring up at the undercarriage of the JS Express:

Many of the comments on the Dallas Observer blog, Unfair Park, have been straight-up racist and vile. One commenter asked, “Why don’t we just rename the city of Dallas ‘Puffy Taco City’? That should make everyone happy.”

The comments on the D magazine blog, Frontburner, have been worse:

“Great! Now I know where to pick up all the day laborers!”

That is what we call in the business “cherry-picking.” Maybe in terms of the quotes he chose to use from the respective blogs, ours was worse. Sure, I could see that–exclamation points are certainly more confrontational. But overall, there doesn’t seem to be much need for that “have been worse” remark aimed at our commenters. (You could absolutely call them nerdy, since one post degenerated into a full-on grammar war.)

I’ve looked at all the comments left on Cesar Chavez-related posts on both sites. If anything, it’s a tie, though I feel like I saw more “go back to Mexico” chatter around Unfair Park.

Comments

68 responses to “Jim Schutze Thinks Our Commenters Are “Worse” Than “Straight-Up Racist and Vile””

1. Towski says:

Fuck Jim Schutze.

Frankly, that’s a kinder sentiment about him than one often reads on Unfair Park.

2. El Rey says:

And so goes the city. While we bicker about who offended who first and grammar wars, the city metaphorically gives the citizens the shaft. In the end, we get stuck with the bill and the heartache…

3. Whitey McWhitepants says:

I hate white people. They should go back from whence they came.

4. Zac Crain says:

@El Rey: Point taken.

5. mediawonk says:

I enjoy reading Schutze, but he’s a “cherry-picker” if I ever saw one. He is extremely adept at wordplay in which he takes a particular argument someone puts forth and then twists it ever-so-gently to meet his “everything is wrong, it’s all a conspiracy” agenda – or in some cases grabs it and beats you over the head with it until you’re on the floor, recoiling in submission.

6. jrp says:

said it before, say it again: much ado about nothing

unsure how we get the shaft, as who really gives a flying fluck what the street name is? sure the Ross family has a valid beef, but otherwise, who truly cares? i mean, is there someone out there that’s going to stop driving on Ross once it become Chavez? and if so, WTF is that about?

and people that gripe about the crudeness of blog comments need to join the rest of us in the 21st century, man, grow some thicker skin, grab a keyboard, and start yammering away

7. Andrew says:

If there’s nothing to care about, why change it?

8. Zac: We also call “cherry-picking” something else but such words aren’t suitable for print.

Schutze’s writing used to be more interesting from a city perspective but it’s really isn’t right now.

I subscribe to D, I wouldn’t subscribe to the Observer. I get more insightful stuff about the hood & uptown in one issue of D than I do in a months worth of the Observer.

Ex: The Jubilee Park article, Rawlins’ street food article, Trey’s article on Brett Landes, etc.

9. Emilio Velasquez, Jr. says:

Do not be too hard on Señor Schutze. It is clear from his frightened leaps and starts on this issue that the hand of El Decherd Grande has descended heavy upon his knee and has begun its evil tickle.

Retirement looms, and lo! comes ¡Señor Steve!, loping and grinning, bearing the temptation of his lucrative JennyBurger franchises.

It is a difficult time when El Diablo takes a man up high upon the mount.

Now, where are our cabras?

Emilio

10. Patrick says:

I do kind of like Puffy Taco City! Can you imagine Jerry changing the name to the Puffy Taco Cowboys and the Puffy Taco Cowboy Cheerleaders!

And if there was already a restaurant called Puffy Taco of Dallas- would they change the name to Puffy Taco of Puffy Taco?

Jim Schutze is a teapot desperately searching for a tempest.

12. Scooter says:

Oh, come on now. Jim Schutze is a Dallas treasure. For really vile and racist comments, go to Dallasblog.

13. jrp says:

didn’t Puffy change his name to Diddy or Shitty or something else useless like that?

14. allison says:

Puffy Taco Cowboys, I love it!

15. Puddin'Tane says:

I bet you can get a puffy taco AND day laborers on any given Sunday down at Our Lady on Ross. The parishioner’s are selling all kinds of things down there these days.

Sh*t, every time I drive by there I feel like I’m in Saltillo!

16. Jack Jett says:

Cherry picking? It would be cherry picking to find anything that remootely resembles
    something of a liberal view on this blog.
    It is by far, the most racist, homophobic,
    bigoted, and right wing blog in the city. Hands down. To deny it would cause you to loose readers and advertisers. You should wear it like a badge of honor. This is the way to keep your gig. Try to have a sense of humor about it as you require of those you bash. You might be amazed at the emails that I get in response to my postings on this blog. It really shows how powerful your organization is and how fearful people are to express any opposition to your views.
    Any liberal view on this blog will be followed with a long series of bashing that commenter. The great thing about a blog is that it is all there in black and white with the exception of censored comments.
    Really Zac, to claim otherwise is a little silly when it is all there, right in front of you. If you can’t see it, then perhaps you should have been mayor.
    You should embrace your wealthy right wing followers just as Fox News and your other media outlet counter parts.
    Only a publication that thinks it has been given the gift to say what is BEST in the city of Dallas would have the arrogance to deny any sort of critique no matter how minimal.
    If you serve Snark, then you should be willing and able to eat it too.
    Don’t deny what has brought you to this level of success. Wear it as a badge of honor as I do.

Now get busy because I heard they are going to rename Maple Ave after Barney Frank.

17. Andrew says:

Front Burner is also the most anti-pachyderm blog of all the blogs in Dallas.

18. JS says:

“who really gives a flying fluck what the street name is?” all the business that have to spend thousands of dollars redoing business cards, stationery, websites, etc. care a lot. For a small business, that cost can take a pretty fair chunk of profits.

Well, dammit, the day laborers really do congregate at Ross — er, Cesar Chavez — and Carroll.

Schutze has not been doing his best work lately. He’s degenerated to unsubstantiated innuendo (“I’m not saying 3, I’m just saying 1 and 1, which sure makes it look like there’s another 1 out there somewhere, which I’m not saying there is and everybody tells me there isn’t, but if there were, and it sure seems like there might be, then that would then make 3, but I’m not saying 3”) and the occasional phoned-in screed. He rattles on when it’s clear he has no real inkling of what he speaks. He’s a talented man, but he’s coasting.

20. Puddin'Tane says:

But we love dogs!

Ask Nancy.

21. Zac Crain says:

@Jack Jett: You’re right about only one thing in that rambling string of words. I should have been mayor.

22. Jack Jett says:

Zac

Thank you. Case made.

Cue Bethany for grammer.

Bring on your cheerleaders and the best of D wannabes.

23. SB says:

Thank you Jack, for once again pointing out that it’s always the overly-gay voice that yells the loudest to drown out dissenting opinions!

24. jrp says:

good point, JS, wasn’t thinking along those lines

25. Jack Jett says:

Thanks SB, for further proof of my point.

I assume that is difference from the overly-straight voice that you are use to.

Keep speaking, keep reading, then go back to the original post. If you are going to cook it, then eat it dude.

I know this has been said before – but why Ross? It doesn’t even make sense. Why not Live Oak, where the Latino Cultural Center is? THAT would make sense.

27. SB says:

I’m sorry if cutting through all your jargon boils your argument down to a very simple point: you’re an angry gay man. Us common folks aren’t gay enough for your liking. I’d apologize, but I really don’t care enough to.

Now don’t you have a very low-rated tv show to go prepare for?

28. Towski says:

Anyone who thinks frontburner is vile, or racist, or even right wing has clearly never perused eleventybillionthblog.blogspot.com

That’s right. It’s the most vile, racist, right wing blog out there. When I read it, I won’t even hold the computer near my ovaries, for fear my unborn children will be tainted.

30. Jack Jett says:

SB

I never claimed you weren’t gay enough.

No need to apologize. I love you. Jesus loves you. So you are loved.

Don’t let it stick in your crawl.

If by TV Show, you mean meatloaf, then yes.

31. Bill Marvel says:

Complaining that some of the comments on a blogsite — any blogsite, including Schutze’s very own — are “vile and racist” is kind of like complaining that some snakes are poisonous.

32. Chris says:

Jett has a TV show? And why is he wearing dishwashing gloves?

33. Towski says:

@Bethany – Thank god. I have to admit, I was in some fear regarding the safety of your reproductive system.

@Jack – Craw. Just to clarify. Don’t let it stick in your craw.

Carry on.

34. Puddin'Tane says:

Jesus loves puffy tacos and day laborers too so why can’t we all be gay and get along?

35. Doesn’t the Observer also have a “Best of”? IJS

36. mm says:

Bethany said taint.

37. Towski says:

@ mm – I know – I almost had to go to my storage building.

38. AS says:

Schutze used to make me laugh. Now Eric Celeste makes me laugh. What does that say about me? Oh dear.

39. randye says:

I always figured Shutze’s “every white person is a racist but me” was projection but Bethany nailed it- Jim Schutze is a teapot desperately searching for a tempest.

40. SDP says:

Jett has a show that airs on 3 continents so says his website.

42. SDP says:

He shares an agent with Elizabeth Hasslebeck.
    Something not right about that.

43. Jack Jett says:

Thanks Bethany

Sometimes you play a pivotal role in my life.
    This is one of those times.

Don’t let me stick in your craw. If you are with child, you should keep your craw clear.
    Or so I’ve been told.

44. Puddin'Tane says:

FYI:

[STICK IN ONE’S CRAW – “When you can’t swallow something, when it won’t go down, or you are loath to accept it, it sticks in your craw. The craw is the crop or preliminary stomach of a fowl, where food is predigested. Hunters centuries ago noticed that some birds swallowed bits of stone that were too large to pass through the craw and into the digestive tract. These stones, unlike the sand and pebbles needed by birds to help grind food in the pouch, literally stuck in the craw, couldn’t go down any farther. This oddity became part of the language of hunters and the phrase was soon used figuratively.” From the “Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins” by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).]

45. Puddin'Tane says:

Bethany: jinx

46. El Rey says:

My show airs to three incontinents. I’m funny, too. How do I know, you ask? They pee their pants when I tell a joke!

47. Wes Mantooth says:

I think it bears mentioning that this entire discussion has gone down a black hole.

48. @ WES: Ex-CUSE me? lol

49. El Rey's Twisted Psyche says:

Quoting my bud Chris-Chris, “I was aiming for the pink hole, I swear!”

Don’t you mean a pink hole?

51. Puddin'Tane says:

or pink puffy taco….?

52. Eric Celeste says:

Can’t we all just go back to trashing me?

53. Don Ho says:

Eric-

Your man parts smell like stale puffy tacos.

54. Jim Schutze says:

Do I need better evidence than this?

55. Brandon says:

Hey Jim! How long had you been waiting to you hit that Submit Comment button?

56. Zac Crain says:

@Jim Schutze: Okay, that made me laugh out loud. Not backing off what I said, but I have to admit, well played.

57. Jack E. Jett says:

I guess when everyone agrees with one another then all you would have left to do is grade postings.

58. Trey Garrison says:

Someone has to, Jack. It’s not like DISD teachers will. Boo-yah.

59. Tey says:

@ Jim…well, some evididence would be a nice change of pace..

60. brett says:

that’s awesome! I got quoted in a Schutze story!

So..speaking of cherry pickers, where could I find them?

Cesar Chavez, Texas, buddy.

62. Becky says:

Brett
    Have you tried the mirror?

63. Zac Crain says:

That doesn’t make any sense.

Yeah. Brett’s not a day laborer.

65. brett says:

@ Bethany…actually i am.

@ Becky…is “the mirror” some type of hip new drug that causes you to senselessly propose changing the names of streets just for the sake of change? Because if it is, no, I have not tried it, but when i do, i propose naming 75 the “Brett Super Awesome Expressway to Awesomeness”.

Brett, we’re gonna need an entire weekend of tagging overpasses to accomplish that.

67. brett says:

Bethany- follow me to Awesomeness

68. Bill Betzen says:

The issues in the change from the name Ross Avenue to Cesar Chavez Avenue are painfully simple.

Six months ago almost nobody, but probably fewer than 100 history teachers, knew who Ross Avenue was named for. Most normal citizens who had any idea of who it was named for thought it was named for an early Texas Governor.

The Ross Brothers are mentioned in almost none of the Texas History books. (I say almost because I presume they are mentioned somewhere, I just do not know where.) I regret that. What I have found about them is honorable and should be known, known in much more detail than a four letter street name. That is one reason why the Cesar Chavez Task Force is willing to pay for a Historical Marker in their honor, with more details than 99,99% of Dallas know, about our pioneers, the Ross Brothers!

In that process we will change the southeastern section of Ross Avenue, from Greenville Avenue southwest, for another great American, Cesar Chavez. Cesar Chavez worked for the rights of the common worker. He helped raise the farmworker using methods that he encouraged, and have been, applied to raising the working conditions of millions of other US citizens! Thousands in Dallas have benefited from his work. The march on 4-9-06 was a peaceful march following the methods he taught to us.

Cesar Chavez did not win the highest honors from both the Catholic Church and the United States of America by being less than the most honorable of leaders in our struggle for human dignity. Naming Ross Avenue in his honor is only to our benefit, and that of our children.