Saturday Evening Movie Report

Wick wants us to start blogging some on the weekends, which is a great idea for me, because I lead an action-packed life. For those of you who like to spend your hard-charging Saturday nights like me – on the couch, with just the dog for company – here’s a late-afternoon TV watching scouting report:

• The Sweetest Thing is NOT the worst movie I’ve ever seen. It has the hottest woman alive, Christina Applegate, and Jason Bateman sports a playoff beard. Bonus: because of the network commercials, I know that Clueless is showing on Oxygen tonight. Let’s go ahead and call it a date.
  • Right now, the “PREV” button on my remote is getting a workout between two networks: Chiller (Jaws) and Fox Movie Channel (Big Trouble in Little China). Just fine-tuning the quote-bank. (Odds of me imitating Quint or saying “This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang” in the office this week: 1 in 2.)
  • Oooh. Doubtful Clueless will get much more than fly-by. It’s up against Tomorrow Never Dies AND Breaking Away (“Refund? Refund? REFUND?). You folks can have your “more realistic” Casino Royale Bond. Gimme Pierce Brosnan in a tux any day.
  • Oh, my. Seven at 8:30? Let’s just assume I’m not getting off this couch, OK? Certainly not before Bad Boys at 11.

Comments

24 responses to “Saturday Evening Movie Report”

1. amanda says:

Eric, you are so out of the loop…

Tonight, the made for TV docudrama of the McKinney North HS cheerleading fiasco.

Lifetime. 8 pm. So money.

2. Harvey Lacey says:

Amanda, bite your tongue and choke on that remote. I have my college student ex-high school cheerleader granddaughter in house for a visit.

There’s no way I want her to find out some cheerleaders anywhere could behave so trashy. Not to mention the influence some mothers have over their daughters, of any age.

3. amanda says:

Okay, Harvey…

We are Office (season 3) dvd-ing, and perhaps a movie, not sure which one.

I hear Shawshank Redemption is good…

4. Joe says:

Hello, it’s “Sheets” week. . . I mean, “Shark Week!”

5. Eric Celeste says:

Joe, you know, the thing about a shark… he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be living… until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white, and the ocean turns red.

6. Eric:

How full is the bottle of Jack? If more than half, I’ll be there in 15 minutes. (Once I leave Highland Park, though, I’m a bit baffy about directions. Could you send someone to meet me at the corner of Beverly and Hillcrest?)

Thx,
    MC

7. I saw The Dark Knight at the IMAX. Sick. Just buy your tickets in advance.

8. amanda says:

Michael, by “sick” do you mean “good”? B/c I have a hard time keeping up with the vernacular of the popular kids, or…

Do you mean “sick” like the perfect execution of Man vs. Evil?

9. Sick = hot = real good

I’m not into Batman (I had only seen the first one w/ Michael Keaton) but this was a great flick. Seeing it in IMAX was awesome.. worth paying $12.50.

10. Joe says:

Eric, I know what you and Quint speak. Had some dates that reacted the same way.

11. whackedupside says:

Ahhh, Big Trouble in Little China. Guiltiest of pleasures.

12. Trey Garrison says:

Guilty? Like heck it is jst a guilty pleasure. It’s the I Ching of manhood.

13. amanda says:

Eric, Chrisatina Applegate is currently being treated for breas cancer…just heard it this morning. Question: in the context of your post earlier in the week…does this make her less hot?

BTW, the cheerleader movie did NOT disappoint.

14. Brian says:

I am in my own guilty pleasure… I thought I was the only person sitting in front of old movie tv on weekends.We need a movie party!
    right now I am loving me Greg Peck and every character actor of 1955 in Pork Chop Hill.
    ohhh, BTiLC! thats a greatness in moviedom! Oh My Gawwed! Whats that!

15. Puddin'Tane says:

Tora,Tora,Tora!!!

16. OakCliff says:

[From Breaking Away] Dave: Everybody cheats. I just didn’t know.

Republican response: How can I beat everybody in this war of all against all known as life? Analysis: Republicans are brave.

Democrat response: What laws and institutions can we create and enforce that will reduce the amount, extent, and severity of cheating? Analysis: Democrats are scared of the brave–we don’t want to get cheated or pounded on by those braver than we are.

Conclusion [from Breaking Away] — Dad: I was proud of my work. And the buildings went up. When they were finished the damnedest thing happened. It was like the buildings were too good for us. Nobody told us that. It just felt uncomfortable, that’s all.

17. Bill says:

Thank you for reminding me why I unplugged my TV three months ago.

We actually watched the cheerleader movie. All the way through. It was really, really bad, but I could. not. stop. watching.

19. Eric Celeste says:

I woke up on the floor of some Japanese family’s rec room, and they would not. Stop. SCREAMING.

I ate a big, red candle.

21. billh says:

TELL NO ONE
    Directed by
    Guillaume Canet
    at the Angelika. Very fine French thriller/suspense film, an adaptation of a Harlan Coben novel. Beautiful film. Worth seeing. Also, as far as rentals, if you never saw Pam’s Labyrinth, very fine film. We also just rented Band’s Visit, the Israeli Film, quite subtle and nice.

Eric, I love that scene in Jaws. Two months ago, I went to a WWII veterans lunch with my dad, heard a local survivor of the USS Indianapolis speak. It was quite moving.

22. Eric Celeste says:

Billh: Our staff photog, Elizabeth “Spider Monkey” Lavin, is a big fan of that scene (and the film), too, and she says she’s bringing me a copy of “In Harm’s Way,” the book about its sinking. I’ll give you a book report.

23. billh says:

I’ve read it Eric, and it’s quite good. In many ways it’s more frightening than Jaws.

The speaker I heard was Glen Morgan, from Granberry. He was the ship bugler. I loved hearing this 85 year old sailor tell how it took the ship only 12 minutes to sink, because that’s when his watch stopped, when he hit the water. Out of 1197 men only 317 were saved. After 4 day and 5 nights in the open ocean, they were spotted in the water by a PV-1 Ventura.

He ended his talk by recounting when he was back stateside, he would play REVEILLE, the bugle tune that troops wake up to. His commander told him, he was sick of hearing that tune and asked if he could he ‘swing it’. He recounted that he didn’t use a bugle, but had a trumpet. He told his commander that he could try. He pulled out an old case and pulled a coronet out. He looked at the audience and said, ‘Be patient, This 84 year old man has 84 year old lips.’ Still he pulled the horn up and played a swing style version of Reveille. It was splendid and he got a standing ovation.

The luncheon was the Happy Warriors. They meet every third Friday at the Frontiers of Flight Museum. It’s fascinating to hear all of these men now in their 80’s tell their WWII stories. They are almost always better than fiction.

You’ll like the book.