Rod Dreher Explains Himself

If you hadn’t noticed, Rod Dreher is kind of a big deal. So much so that when Mike Hashimoto does a Q&A with him to explain how Dreher does his job at the Morning News, the back-and-forth draws attention from Romenesko. I myself have broken bread with Dreher and consider him a friend (though apparently not a good enough friend to refer to him by first name, which is strange). I’ve fielded the same questions from people that Hashimoto has gotten. In short: “Is Rod really like that in person?” From my experience, no, he’s not. He’s a lot more easygoing than he comes across in print. Certainly more profane. And taller, too. But here’s the way he sums up himself:

“I believe the world is going to hell in a hand basket, but I just want to make sure there’s enough ice around to keep my drink fresh till the end.”

Comments

18 responses to “Rod Dreher Explains Himself”

1. Emilio Velasquez, Jr. says:

Señor Tim, it is always exciting when the journalist looks deeply into the journalist for the true story, it is like the wonder and the mystery of mirrors reflecting into mirrors!

I myself once thought briefly of peering at my own anus, too, but I never did. I am just not that flexible.

2. Rawlins Gilliland says:

In person Rod is like the next-door guy you want to buy a bicycle from and challenge to a tofu pull contest.

3. jrp says:

well said, Emilio, what a bunch of useless navel gazing that shiite is

and i think Dreher summed up his ignorance perfectly in the quote Tim pulled

the world isn’t going to hell in a hand basket and i believe anyone that thinks as much has a myopic world view…actually kinda makes me sad to see such pessimism

sad and sorry kinda sums up my thoughts on the DMN ed staff, as well…not to mention geriatric

4. jdp says:

Journalistic incest is a bottomless pit. Can someone interview Wick on his thoughts of Tim’s article about Hashimoto’s view of the brilliance that is Rod Dreher?

5. bleacherbum says:

Who’s Rod Dreher? And what does he have to do with the price of eggs? Or gas, for that matter.

6. Rod Dreher says:

Tim, you asshole, you’re blowing my cover. I mean, Rogers you asshole. Whatever. Bring me another Geritol and Grey Goose.

7. bleacherbum says:

Tim and Rod: You guys are like a parody of Le Bourgeois gentilhomme. Excusez-moi: a Crunchy Bourgeois gentilhomme, n’est-ce pas?

Et je pense que vous dépensez beaucoup de temps dans un lieu vous montrez le dédain pour, IJS.

9. bleacherbum says:

C’est vrai, mais c’est la vie!

10. Tom says:

Is that beaucoup or boocoos?

11. bleacherbum says:

Au revoir, Bethaneeee. A bientot. Il a été trop court!

Boocoos is an overblown phrase.

Tim’n’Rod. I see a vaudeville act coming on. Make me stop seeing it! Mommy I’m scairt!

(piano vamps
    Bump-bum bump-bum bump-bum
    Bolly-ollee bump-bum bump-bum bump-bum)

TIM: Rod, why do they call you supercilious and smug?

ROD: What’s that, Tim?

TIM: I say, why do they call you supercilious and smug?

ROD (with a great flourish that announces this is his signature line): Because I’m a CRRRRRUUUNCHEEEE CON!

For Christ’s sake, Mommy, make it stop. They’re in my closet!

14. Rod Dreher says:

And they say wit is dead. I’m in here with a buncha fucking Oscar Wildes.

15. Thumberlina Low says:

Wow comment block just to protect Dreher.
    What a fucking bunch a pansies.

16. Grumpy Demo says:

Of course to you guys he’s nice, you’re male and white, and will want a job when the DMN dies.

So in real life he’s not a churlish bulling semi-literate prig?

That’s a relief, since he’s the only blogger at the DMN who’s banned me, my sin was pointing out he used to work for Rev. Moon. Something he’s doesn’t seem proud of.

It takes a small man to block critical posts to make himself look good. Also, on the petty side he also then scrubbed from the site two weeks of previous quotes, were OK.

17. Thumberlina Low says:

Grumps

You will never see a negative word printed on this blog about Rod Dreher. They are trying to keep their eye on the prize here. It is not surprising to find out that Crunchy was a freaking Moonie. Each week he tries a new religion and when he does, he has to condemn all others. Small minded people censor for fear of reality. Let us hear you talk about your days as a moonie mr moon