I point the blog to Daniel’s comment to that post, which pretty much disproves Jim’s assertion that our commenters don’t bring something to the debate:

Schutze has not been doing his best work lately. He’s degenerated to unsubstantiated innuendo (“I’m not saying 3, I’m just saying 1 and 1, which sure makes it look like there’s another 1 out there somewhere, which I’m not saying there is and everybody tells me there isn’t, but if there were, and it sure seems like there might be, then that would then make 3, but I’m not saying 3.”) and the occasional phoned-in screed. He rattles on when it’s clear he has no real inkling of what he speaks. He’s a talented man, but he’s coasting.

Comments

40 responses to “Re: Jim Schutze Thinks Our Commenters Are “Worse” Than “Straight-Up Racist and Vile””

1. Sam Merten says:

I thought about a lot of different things to write, but I think it’s best to keep it short.

Tim, this crossed the line. YOUR. WORST. POST. EVER.

Technically, it was Daniel’s, if you’re trying to be you know, accurate. We still like accuracy, yes?

3. Trey Garrison says:

Oh come on. Tim’s made much worse posts, and he’d be the first to tell you that.

4. Sam Merten says:

I was referring to Tim creating a separate post to bring special attention to Daniel’s comment, Bethany. I was being plenty, you know, accurate.

I think he had it framed and mounted on the wall next to that big D, too. He really, really loved that comment. If it were a kitten, he’d still be petting it, and buying it cute little feather things to play with.

6. Jack Jett says:

Trey

Can you give some examples….you know, where he would be the first to tell you?

7. Tim Rogers says:

@ Sam: Jim assailed our fine commenters. By drawing attention to Daniel’s thoughtful observations, I was merely doing the honorable thing by defending the people who make this blog a special enterprise. You are one of those people, Sam. You should thank me.

8. Jim says:

Anyone else agree that Sam’s writing usually feels like a make-out session with Jim Schutze or Angela Hunt or is too gawd-darn long? Lighten up dude.

9. Jenny the Elephant says:

Everyone leave Jack Jett alone. He “saved” me. I’m still going to die sometime soon, but he, um, saved me. A-hole…

10. Sam Merten says:

Tim,

1. You wrote: “Jim assailed our fine commenters.”

In his column, he pointed out that comments on Unfair Park regarding the Cesar Chavez renaming were “straight-up racist and vile,” and those on FrontBurner “have been worse.” Now, perhaps you want to argue that the overall comments left on both sites were a tie or whatever, but fact remains that racist and vile comments were left on both sites. It’s not an indictment on your commenters as a whole, only the ones insensitive enough to leave such comments.

2. You wrote: “By drawing attention to Daniel’s thoughtful observations…”

Referring to Daniel’s comment as “thoughtful observations” is an assault on Jim, and I merely did the honorable thing by defending one of the people who have made journalism in Dallas such a special enterprise. You are one of those people, Tim. You should be thanking me.

For what it’s worth, I think Schutze is the best investigative journalist working in Dallas. I stand by my critique, though. Entertaining insinuations make for good — or at least compulsively readable — writing, but not good journalism. Schutze can do much better, and has, quite often, in fact, but apparently no editorial presence is insisting that he do so uniformly.

Okay, I’ve topped myself. That’s Tim’s worst post ever.

12. Dallasite says:

“For what it’s worth, I think Schutze is the best investigative journalist working in Dallas.”

You’re right, and that’s sad because Schutze really sucks at being an investigative journalist.

13. Andrew says:

I don’t see how a line was crossed. Schutze can’t get through a column without accusing various targets of being corrupt, incompetent, venal, racist, etc. Yet his work cannot be critiqued?

14. really though says:

they’re just being exposed at DO for what they are…they’re losing stature in this town with blogs that show them to be phonies. they think they’re too cool for school but they can’t take the heat when the tables are turned.

15. Becky says:

Umm.
    Most every blog on this site that is about race/bigotry/prejudice/sexual orientation/right wing is slanted to an ultra conservative side. Most commenters agree 100 percent with the blog posters. It is the Dallas version of Limbaugh, Savage,
    Hannity, and Beck. I always thought D was proud of that as their success was based on that. It seems odd that you would deny it as it is right there, in front of your face.
    Just look to the right, it is called
    Browse the Archives. Demeaning dissenters will not make it go away.

16. Zac Crain says:

@Becky: I’m not so sure I trust your police work.

It makes me giggle when I get called a right winger and ultra conservative.

*dusts off thigh-high patent leather boots with my riding crop*

18. Becky says:

No police work involved. It is right there in front of you Mr. Man.

19. bleacherbum says:

Frontburner is not conservative. That would require too much thinking on the part of the bloggers here. It’s just fat, comfortable and sort of trust-fundy sounding. Kind of like a gated community for Gen Xers.

20. Trey Garrison says:

Say there, Becks – what’s an example of a moderate blog, in your view?

21. I’m trying to figure out exactly how I am a conservative. A moderate Dem, maybe, but a conservative? That makes me giggle.

22. Becky says:

Off your list?
    Grits
    KERA

23. Becky says:

Trey
    BTW..Thanks for asking a legitimate question without trashing the commenter. That is a debate. It can be done.

I see this kettle, and it’s black.

25. bleacherbum says:

Here are some moderate or fairly neutral blogs — especially of the political variety:
    1.The Page by Mark Halperin, Time.
    2. Real Clear Politics
    3. The Note, ABC News
    4. CQ Politics
    5. Lastly a range of blogs, left and right, that might have you exercising both sides of your brain, including: The Corner (National Review Online); Daily Kos; and the Daily Dish, by Andrew Sullivan, The Atlantic

26. Becky says:

See Becky, you just can’t take part in a debate with attacking the messenger. You have preached about that. Kettle/Black?
    Is this an ultra conservative blog or not?
    The bits about boots, giggles, kettles, grammer etc. Trey asked an excellent question. I read right and left wing blogs.
    Those middle of the road are next to impossible to find. The first 4 that bleacherbum mentioned are about as close as you can get to neutral.
    I see this as a very conservative blog.
    I assume you don’t. It really doesn’t make one or the other a better person. Just a different view point. My point is, why not be open to another view point every once and a while?

27. Andrew says:

FFS, the arch-conservative on FB, Wick, is voting for Obama.

28. amanda says:

Becky, it’s Bethany (if that’s even her real name), and it’s almost like you don’t know your own name. Being a paid blogger, and relatively new addition to our family, we forgive you.

As for bleacherbum, I’ll have to check out National Review as a blog to understand Becky, TL, and the rest of you who have joined us recently. Thanks for the tip. Good luck in the election…we’ll miss you after the election.

29. Trey Garrison says:

So. How about that Obama guy and his terrorist buddy, William Ayers? That’s some weird, wild stuff.

Becky, I am just so gosh damned conservative. I believe in the death penalty for abortion doctors — because they promote a culture of death. I believe if you allow the seven wealthiest Americans to rule the land with no accountability, it will trickle down and those at the bottom will come to rule themselves — but only if they’re willing to accept accountability for their actions instead of whining. I believe in pre-emptively attacking the enemies of America, whomever my government might tell me those are, so long as Republicans are the ones doing the telling. I believe God spends a goodly portion of his workday getting plenty miffed about homosexuals.

You were spot-on to infer from my above-cited comment that I am conservative. You’re one of the most brilliant political minds of your generation. A generation that will one day be old enough to vote!

31. bleacherbum says:

Very funny Trey. Obviously trying to take the Mickey out of us. Obama was, like, 9-years-old when the Weathermen were throwing their bombs. Here’s a factcheck report on the link between Obama and Ayers. http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html

32. bleacherbum says:

Trey — I think you’re trying to take the Mickey out of us. Obama was, like, 9 years old when the Weathermen were doing their thing.

33. Tom says:

“a gated community for Gen Xers”
    That’s a good description, bleacherbum. Except someone leaves the gate wide open for a couple of hours once or twice a week. We need to ranch up and keep that thing closed.

Do you want us to get off your lawn now, bleacherbum?

35. bleacherbum says:

What lawn? I’m sitting here in the bleachers, looking up at you guys in the luxury suites, enjoying the luck of the gene-pool lottery.

36. bleacherbum says:

The truth of the matter is, while I disagree with a lot of opinions on this blog, the regular writers are bright, spirited and generally-speaking, pretty damn funny. Trey has a very dry humor, which doesn’t always come across in print, but you can practically see the tongue in the cheek. Bethany and Amanda are also very funny, especially with their put downs, and even when they’re aimed at me, I chuckle. So this is sort of like my virtual Cheers…. And I’ll go now, because I’m thoroughly embarrassing myself.

Awww…bleacherbum just wants a hug.

38. amanda says:

Don’t touch him, Bethany.

39. bleacherbum says:

An old fart’s virtual-world dream. Two young, hot chicks fighting over him. Don’t wake me. Please.

40. JimS says:

Bleacherbum is actually a 37-year-old woman.