Oh, Goodie. Another Thing For The Magazine Industry To Worry About.

Want to read magazines page by page without having to buy them? Welcome, Mygazines.com, wherein user scan publications, upload them, and share for all to see. Of course, magazine publishers (and editors and art directors and sales people and production people and circulation types and all other magazine employees) aren’t so enthused.

Comments

25 responses to “Oh, Goodie. Another Thing For The Magazine Industry To Worry About.”

1. Mike says:

Welcome to reality!

People in print are like Soviets back in the 90’s trying so hard to hold on to their
    lofty positions. While the world changes and demands changes around them.

It is so funny!

Mike: When attempting to be astute, it is always wise to make sure your grammar is correct.

People in print are like (the) Soviets back in the ’90s trying so hard to hold on to their lofty positions, while the world changes and demands changes around them.

3. Tom says:

Print publications may be on the way out, but there will always be grammar for copy editors to correct.

4. El Rey says:

Isn’t this the same thing as reading D Magazine in the waiting room of my dentist or doctor. I didn’t pay for the magazine either… Magazine publishers (and editors and art directors and sales people and production people and circulation types and all other magazine employees) don’t seem to be up in arms about it – or are they?

5. Meredith says:

People spend time reading web content on their iPhones instead of actually picking up a publication so this was bound to happen.

6. El Rey says:

I gave the first sentence a period instead of a question mark. Please forgive me.

As in the earlier ‘Booker T’ post, way to miss the forest and focus on the trees (or apostrophes)!

7. Brian says:

What a bunch of mommies and daddies
    these copy editors are.

There won’t be copy editors, because most of your jobs have been replaced already with wire news services.

Get a real job!

Copy editors have to correct wire services, too.

They also help trim down stories when they’re too long. And a wire service can’t write a headline to fit – mostly because the wire service doesn’t know what spot you’re putting the story. This means that someone must make sure that headline is also correct.

There’s a lot more to copy editing than correcting grammar, actually. It makes me tired to think about it. I may need a nap.

9. The Evil Brian says:

Stop your whinning, copy editors!

10. amandacobra says:

I just heard that people are downloading music off the internet instead of going to the store and buying the record/8 track/cassette tape/CD/download card! Someone should sue Napster to stop this. I’m calling Metallica!

Print media is in a whole heap of trouble. Trying to stop downloading and pirating and people getting stuff off the internet for free is like trying to get pee out of a public pool.

11. Susie Q says:

Amandacobra, I want to marry you.

Great point!

12. Danno says:

Welcome to reality!?
    Soviets?
    Get a real job?
    Napster?

REALLY?

Wow, such disdain for your content providers.
    Most are missing the point. INTELECTUAL PROPERTY is the key, not Paper vs. New Media. Music and words are different, I like to hear a song over and over, but how many times do I want to read an article? I too am constantly finding my works of art on peoples sites that were not paid for.
    I have never had a problem getting it removed or paid for, once I discuss it with the web publisher. I’m pretty confident Mygazine will be shut down by someones Lawyers. Itunes and Amazon have proven that the majority of folks are wiling to pay for downloads. I’m not a Lawyer or a copy editor, so feel free to critique my indignant post for the above posts, I look forward to an enlightening response.

13. Sophie says:

And when magazines were using writers’ work without permission/payment, they told us we were being a bunch of whiners to complain.

14. hammertime says:

Would it not be easier to send your resume and writing samples rather than add suck-up posts or show off your knowledge of the A.P. bible? Pretty please?

15. Tom says:

Since I’m a copy editor and not a lawyer, I can’t comment on the legality of posting content to Mygazines.com. You’d think they would consult an attorney before going online, but my stints in the dotcom world lead me to believe otherwise. But they do have a Terms of Use page with proper grammar: http://www.mygazines.com/terms_of_use

AP Stylebook? Shucks, this is just 5th grade grammar.

17. amandacobra says:

Maybe for something that is hard to find or for something that they feel so strongly about, ethically (support the band, maaaaaan!). But my amateur research supports the theory that people can type the words “(anything) torrent” into google and sleep ok at night. Or say, for instance, there is a TV show (Mighty Boosh) that they love but it’s not available in the US. Now, they could order it off Amazon.co.uk for a hefty price, pay the awful exchange rate for a sinking dollar, then shipping, oh yeah then get it converted to the correct format. Or they could type “Mighty Boosh torrent” into Google and watch it that night.

Intellectual property IS the key, true. But this is the part where telegraph companies had to figure out what to do now that the big mean telephone was putting them out of business.

18. hammertime says:

Needs improvement.

19. Sky Masterson says:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds…

Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations is the antithesis of original thought.

21. hammertime says:

Only a fool posts their real name on a blog.

22. Bill Marvel says:

There is a lot gloating on this forum over the predicted demise of newspapers and, more recently, magazines.
    Hey, gloaters: Where do you imagine all this stuff you’re reading on blogs and websites, including this very one, comes from? I love these smug little yelps from soothsayers who keep telling us that the electronic media have made print obsolete. Yeah. In the same way that sausage has made cows and pigs obsolete.

23. Pointy Finger of Doom says:

For those of you who think that wire services will replace copy editors, I give you this:

10th graph. I don’t think they meant to call Lieberman that, do you?

24. Oh My Eyes says:

Pointy:

When I think of Lieberman… that is the nicest comment I usually use.

25. Sky Masterson says:

Hmmm. I thought it was Strunk & White…