Murder in Highland Park

Gosh darn those copy editors and their misleading headlines. But comes news from an outraged FrontBurnervian about trees that were cut down in Highland Park:

Yesterday more than a dozen trees were murdered at the corner of Cowper and Harvard. I could only get three in the picture, but there are many more. I am quite certain that it was done in the name of progress — real or imagined.

Comments

22 responses to “Murder in Highland Park”

1. Dallasite says:

I’m pretty sure that the FB’ian who submitted this has murdered a few too many of his brain cells during his life.

2. 1) Confirming the theory that if a tree falls in Highland Park it does make a sound.

2) Someone in Dallas took up the Chicago street naming idea where they also place a wooden shingle on the Ross Ave signs saying Cesar Chavez and needed a bunch of overpriced, eccentric and high-grade lumber.

3) “…And this stump was just the right height.”

Now where will Thurston Howell III string his hammock?

4. jrp says:

you can almost see the A/C seeping out of those 50+-year-old windows and the electric bill going up and up and up

i’m no tree hugger, but cutting down trees is almost always a dumb thing to do

5. allison says:

I didn’t know people took “The Giving Tree” seriously.

6. Bobby Ewing says:

Perhaps the house is next to undergo the axe in order to cram another 5,000 s.f. house on a 100×150 lot.

It’s Bob Decherd’s new “one tree at a time” plan. Newsprint’s expensive.

8. Spamboy says:

And thanks to HP’s elaborate Wergeld system, the offending horticulturist now owes the oak clan several thousand shillings. Murder, I say!

9. Tey says:

I’m pretty sure I’m known as a serial killer to many lawns.

Wait, that sounds kinda harsh.

Mortality technician.

10. Jack E. Jett says:

Sad. I use to date that Sycamore in the background in High School. She always had some shady friends so I always worried she might leave or fall if she didn’t branch out.

Sorry for that. I am feeling puny and hackish today.

11. James says:

Is that Leppert’s house? The trinity came back to get their tree’s.

12. Mr. T says:

Those fools gonna get sued! Mmmmm!

13. Tom says:

I’m thinking Mr. Leppert has to live in Dallas to be the mayor. But his giant hands could have been responsible for the tree cutting.

14. MIssing Dots says:

I knew Jackie would have a comment about wooden stumps.

15. LakeWWWooder says:

HP now ‘a sunny place for shady people’?

Apologies to Mr.Maugham..

16. Peterk says:

I guess someone’s getting a head start on winter firewood. they may be speculating that natural gas prices will be going up and therefore the demand for firewood will go up.
    D*mn speculators

17. dazzling urbanite says:

“Fiesta Day: Revenge of Leaf-Blowers”

18. Bill says:

That’s a wittle lot. Even by HP standards. Since it has a “Sold!” sign out front I’d give that house no more than a day or two before it is nothing more than 6 feet high.

The trees are left that height so that the bulldozer can rip ’em out of the ground, roots and all.

Nice house. Looks like it was remodeled not too long ago. Not that it matters now.

19. Bev says:

Outrageous. I realize HP isn’t a “suburb” but this seems to apply, regardless:

“Suburbs. Where they rip out all the tree and name streets after them.”

20. Abby says:

This was a beautiful lot and a great house- its a shame people dont consider the architecture and historic value of houses anymore- Highland Park was once an area of great landscaping tree lined streets and tasteful houses….now builders are taking over and building mcmansions-they are turning HP into Plano…

21. PLM says:

The house was built in 1901. It’s a beautiful classic that has been well maintained for over 100 years…..and yes, it will be torn down this week. Shameful!

22. CGK says:

To use an old expression from the 80’s: Save HP; shoot a developer! And what makes you think it’s only going to be 5,000 sq ft?