Leading Off (8/7/08)

1. Even after adding in 250 offenses generously called “misplaced” here, the crime rate is still on schedule to hit the council’s hoped-for 8 percent drop. Crime in the city fell roughly 17 percent in June and July. Call me a tiny bit of a pessimist, but there’s no way that number holds in August.

2. Speaking of, a local debt collection firm is in dutch with the Texas AG over its alleged use of deceptive practices in order to get paid. Which is shocking. In my experience, those sorts of places are more fond of over-the-top harassment.

3. T. Boone Pickens may stand to make some money from his plan to wean the country off its dependence on foreign oil. No kidding. Score one for investigative journalism. [rolls eyes]

Comments

28 responses to “Leading Off (8/7/08)”

1. Wick Allison says:

Gee, it’s investigative journalism to uncover the obvious? Here is Pickens last week in the NYTimes Magazine: Q: “Is this all about money, ultimately?” A: “Well, that’s kind of a silly statement. I’m worth $4 billion, and I don’t need to make any more money. But I’m not going to invest money if I don’t expect to make money. Here, I feel like I’m putting my money where my mouth is.”

2. Kevin says:

Pickens makes money. So? Clean energy is made, jobs created. These are bad? What do you think Pickens does with his money…mattress?

3. Zac Crain says:

I was being sarcastic. There. I fixed it.

4. Trey Garrison says:

I think it’s time we start to remember the unassailable wisdom of Gordon Gekko — “Greed is good. Greed works.”

5. microdermer says:

“…a company that he (Pickens) founded has engineered a California ballot initiative to put $5 billion toward renewable-energy incentives.”

I have no problem with Pickens making money, but seeking huge public subsidies to make that happen makes me pause to consider. Is this just another corn-based ethanol govt. funded T-Boonedoggle?

6. Neal says:

Well maybe, but at least wind power won’t raise the price of my Orowheat OatNut bread to $4 a loaf or cause starvation in third world countries.

7. Someone else says:

Not to be picky…but isn’t it “wean”? Instead of “ween the country…”

And to the point at hand: I don’t have problem with T. Boone making money, either.

But I would have thought that folks in Dallas know Mr. Pickens and his antics well enough to understand that he’s not to be trusted.

Clean energy is a wonderful thing. But I wouldn’t trust that T. Boone’s version of clean energy is the best alternative we can come up with — it’s simply the one he’s banking on.

8. columbiasooner says:

T. Boone needs the money.

He understands it is going to take way more money than he already has to beat the Sooners in November.

Boomer Sooner T Boone!

Greed works? What, and lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy and pride don’t? Hell, lust has already returned a dozen emails, prepared a report, made a presentation to the brass and commented on a local blog by the time greed has selected a (tasteless) necktie.

10. Gwyon says:

Haha. Greed lives in Plano.

11. Dallasite says:

What the hell is wrong with lust? I mean, gluttony and sloth might need a good PR rep, but lust is just wholesome biology in action, baby.

12. Trey Garrison says:

D*amn straight, Gwyon.

13. Trey Garrison says:

What, how can sloth work? Doesn’t that create a logical paradox and suck all the world into a John Wiley Price hole?

I was just thinking the same thing myself, Dallasite. Sloth and pride are useless leeches, and envy and wrath have toxic properties if not prepared correctly, but the other three make the world go ’round.

Gluttony and lust I dig special.

15. Trey Garrison says:

“Ah hell. I’m a fan of all seven. But right now, I’m gonna have to go with wrath.”

16. red meat says:

The Pickens story wasn’t meant to be an “investigative” story. From what I can see, it’s simply a profile of someone in the news.

17. monkey god says:

columbia sooner
    Don’t OU and OSU usually play each other in December? I guess maybe the end of November. By the way how many Texans are on OU’s roster?

18. columbiasooner says:

It’s been quite awhile since OSU played a game in December.

Enough Texans to win the Big 12 five out of the last eight years.

19. Towski says:

Um, OSU has been to a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years. So, to do the math, the last time OSU played a game in december was, let’s see, carry the one, last december…

20. IttyBittyWusy says:

So they have played in December. How many have they played in JANUARY ?

21. monkey god says:

I just wondered why many Oklahomans hate Texans and are big OU fans but over half of the OU roster is usually made up of Texans. I have no dog in this hunt. I’m a cajun living in Texas and our only pro football is LSU because the Saints don’t count as pro.

22. Brandon says:

No matter how many percentage points the crime rate is down, don’t forget that someone got shot in the face in the Northpark parking structure in broad daylight.

23. monkey god says:

Brandon
    I don’t think the local media has allowed us to forget that. I think it’s mentioned every other day on the local news. I guess crime isn’t suppose to happen ih that area.

If broad daylight is at 9 p.m. at night, and a parking structure is the parking lot by the movie theater, then you are spot on.

25. Brandon says:

Whoops, my bad (feeling the snarkheat)!

26. Tom says:

If you can’t take the snarkheat, get out of the FB kitchen.

27. Brandon says:

Oh I can take it, it’s just that 60% of the time I’m right every time.

28. Towski says:

@ IttyBittyWusy

2004 – Cotton Bowl would be the most recent.

And not many times. Nobody is denying OU’s football superiority. Just pointing out the facts in error. Shrug.