Leading Off (8/5/08)

1. DISD is finger-printing all of its 21,000 employees to help weed out criminals from its ranks. The finger-printing begins September 5. I think this is a good plan that I hope D doesn’t adopt. For, uh, personal reasons.

2. In some sort of local celebrity trifecta, Arlington’s Melissa Lawson wins the country music version of American Idol, Dallas’ Ally Davidson wins the butt-whipping contest that is American Gladiators, and Tony Romo wins my eternal respect as the British newspaper The Sun reports that Jessica Simpson is doing strip-tease dances for him via webcam to keep him happy during training camp. In a related development, I have a new project for the IT department.

3. Another day, another incredibly dramatic 9th-inning, two-out, walk-off home run for the Rangers. Watch it and do a dorky little fist pump, so I don’t feel like the only one doing it.

Comments

22 responses to “Leading Off (8/5/08)”

1. Brian says:

Does Walk Off Grand Slam cheapen the term?

2. Chris says:

yankees suck.

3. Tom says:

Fans of the Evil Empire seem more worried about their injured starting pitcher than their loss at the Byrd Cage: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/08/04/2008-08-04_joba_chamberlain_leaves_game_in_fifth_ya.html

4. BigRusty says:

Rangers, why must you continue to do this to me? I wish I knew how to quit you….

5. Jdub says:

does anyone have the link to jessica’s webcam?

6. the cynic says:

This team keeps finding ways to win…my respect. I pay no attention to the first half of the season as I’ve had my hopes dashed too many times when they dive into the cellar after the All Star break. But, so far, they’ve shown a lot of tenacity. October is still a long way away, but the boys of summer are hanging in there.

7. monkey god says:

Tom
    I guess their worried about Chamberlain because his ERA is nearly 2 runs lower than the best ERA on the Rangers.If he played for the Rangers he be their #1 starting pitcher. He’s also 23 years of age.

8. Tom says:

Monkey: I understand. Just find it funny that the NY media don’t see the Rangers as a threat to their wild card spot. Sure, our boys could use pitchers like Joba, but now matter what happens, this team is sure fun to watch.

9. Tom says:

make that “no” matter

10. CDD says:

Jessica might be lamenting her breakup with John Mayer if she saw any pictures from his show this weekend at Superpages.com Center where he played sans shirt. Hello.

11. rollin says:

Tom,
    The yanks are more worried about catching boston than being caught by the rangers.

12. monkey god says:

Tom
    The NY media has never been accused of being modest. I do appreciate the knowledge of the baseball fans in NY and Boston.

13. Tom says:

Didn’t mean to bump into a hornets’ nest here. NY and Boston are definitely baseball towns. They also reap the benefits of an uneven distribution of TV and radio revenue that MLB turns its back on.
    I just wish the Rangers — and Rays, who are ahead of both the Yankees and Sox in the AL East — would get half the national coverage that Boston and NY do. I know, they are large markets with tons of tradition, but as a livelong resident of the Central Time Zone (and a graduate of a Big 12 school that won an NCAA title), I feel a lot like Rodney Dangerfield when it comes to the national media.

14. monkey god says:

The Rays’ problem is the stadium they play in and the Rangers’ problem is their history. You can’t expect the national media to respect the Rangers when the local media doesn’t. I usually watch the local sports stations and this week they talked so much about the Cowboys that I rarely got Ranger highlights.

15. Tom says:

Good point, monkey. Our local media ceases to recognize the Rangers after the All-Star break. Would have been nice to see the DMN send a columnist to the game. But the Cowboys are at camp and Yoko Romo is stripping online, so there’s important news to report. Props to Ch. 4’s Mike Doocy for being there last night to anchor his broadcasts.

16. Tom says:

Tell me again why D doesn’t have a sports blog?

Because I can only have so many tabs open at a time. Gosh.

18. Brandon says:

Has there ever been a team like this year’s Rangers (#1 in offense, DFL in defense…more runs allowed than runs scored, winning record)?!?

19. monkey god says:

If there was a sports blog in Dallas it would get highjacked by the Jerry Jones/Cowboys pr machine.Radio example,the little Ticket. Starting with Mickey Spagnola.

20. Don says:

Sigh. Please no conspiracy theories re: Cowboys and The Ticket. Spagnola, maybe. Musers, Norm, BAD Radio and Hardline? Not on your life.

21. monkey god says:

The Ticket is the official Cowboys station. Maybe Spagnola, even the Ticket host think he’s a homer.

22. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

Why is fingerprinting front page news but 103 recognized and exemplary schools is metro below the fold or $8 million in scholarships for 20 kids from TJ not mentioned at all?