Leading Off (8/28/08): Shiny, Happy Edition

1. According to Jane McGarry’s anecdotal evidence, people are meeting each other online and some even end up getting married! (If you haven’t kept up with Jane’s reportage from the tech beat, here are her thoughts on MySpace, crazy eBay auctions, cellphones, and, um, makeup tips.)

2. Oncor is giving power customers a one-time credit of $12.58. The refund will show up on September electric bills. Woo-hoo! I’m totally going to turn on a lamp for a minute! Maybe two minutes! I don’t know, feeling sort of crazy. Party at the Crain house, aka Fort Awesome.

3. The seniors committee of the Pro Football Hall of Fame is giving the late, great Cowboys receiver “Bullet” Bob Hayes a rare second chance to be enshrined in the Hall. In his honor, I’m totally going to turn on another lamp! That’s right. You can’t stop me. The party rages on.

Comments

19 responses to “Leading Off (8/28/08): Shiny, Happy Edition”

1. ROJ says:

I think what you’re saying is that today’s news makes you want to light one up. And, well, that’s not news.

2. Tom says:

Apparently Jane doesn’t watch many commercials. Seems like there’s an ad for eHarmony during every break. Or maybe she’s too busy looking for household items that can kill you.

I hear there’s a Facebook group dedicated to her blog.

4. John M says:

@Tom

You mean the one with Anne-Marrie and Lee? That whole thing gives me the creeps, especially Lee. I get the feeling Lee beats Anne-Marrie when he comes home after secretly having rough sex with men he met on Craigslist. Then she goes in the bathroom and cries telling herself that he’s really a good man and that eHarmony said that they are so compatible. Then she redoes her make up and goes to scrub the kitchen one more time just to make double sure it is as clean as Lee expects it to be.

Actually, that gives me an idea, someone should tell Jane McGarry about the personals section of Craigslist.

5. Tom says:

@John: I’m not that familiar with the ads, but was happy to see that Neil Clark Warren isn’t included anymore. He was kinda creepy.

6. coley says:

The only thing funnier than the personals section on craigslist is the missed connections sections.
    Yeah, the lady you saw having lunch with her kids and husband/bf is really gonna reply your post and remember the shirt you wore….sure.

Also, Jane McGarry and NBC5 have to be the worst newscaster and late night news show in the country. Someone needs to get Newy Scruggs away from the 2 mins they give him for a sports segment over there.

7. Spamboy says:

Welcome to the 21st century, Jane. My wife and I met on Friendster and were married within 7 months — it was a wonderful experience.

8. amanda says:

@ Spamboy…that’s what they all say…

9. amandacobra says:

I wish Jane had a daily Jane’s Thoughts text message service I could subscribe to. So that every morning it’s just waiting for me there on my Blackberry. First thing I see.

“Hey, this Blackberry kind of neat. It’s like a cell phone which is super handy because it’s a phone that people can reach you on no matter where you go. But it’s also kind of like a little computer. You can even check your email on it. I’m telling you, they sure are coming up with some doozies these days! Now go conquer the day! – Jane :-)”

(Because in my imagination she really likes emoticons too)

10. John M says:

Dear lord, why are Jane’s Makeup tips in all caps and 18 point font?

11. Becca says:

i was sad zac didn’t link to carly-box and snoopy-dogg. overplayed? sure. t.v. gold? you bet! stay classy nbc 5.

12. Spamboy says:

@Amanda It was better than “Cats”.

13. S.E. says:

eHarmony creeps me out, especially the pervy guy in the commercials. A friend of mine met someone on there, and she was great for a few months until she weaseled her way into moving in and eventually marrying the poor guy. It just makes me think all the women are headcases and the men are spineless wimps who are afraid they can’t find another woman.

My husband and I met on match.com long before it was trendy, so we just never admitted it. Until now, since it makes us cool people.

14. El Rey says:

I met my future wife while doing a parallel bars routine. I really hooked her when I became the first guy to ever tell her ‘no’*. Maybe if people got out more and didn’t let computers do the work for them, they would find a mate the old fashioned way.

*14 years later, I have forgotten how to say ‘no’…

15. Wes Mantooth says:

I hope Jane never discovers lolcatz. Once she figures out the dialect, we’d never hear the end of it. So clever.

True story: I once met someone else’s E-harmony match, because she thought we were more compatible. I met him at a bar, and after a couple of drinks and some very tame conversation (I am capable of that, promise), I got up to go to the restroom.
    I walked back out of the restroom, and I hear, “Psssssssst.”

I look over, and Someone Else’s E-Harmony Match is standing in the doorway of the men’s room, with his, um, parts out.

“The bathroom’s empty, it’s cool, come on in,” he said.

I respectfully declined, and beat a hasty retreat. I still get the occasional text message from him.

17. Amy A says:

@ Bethany
    I’m sorry about that. I’ll try to keep a better eye on my Dad when he goes online.

18. Becca says:

@ Wes
    You made me LOL out loud.

19. Spamboy says:

@Bethany Excellent tale.

Awhile after breaking up with one of my ex-es, we met for a friendly lunch. It was then that she told me she was using an online dating service, and I told her it was the same one I was one. She said, “I know. I entered my search criteria — and you came up as my perfect match.” The rest of the lunch was quite tense. And later Dutch.