Leading Off (8/26/08): Delayed By Denver Edition

Turns out Tuesday is Eric’s Leading Off day. And Eric is, well, you know. Indisposed in Denver. Speaking of which, expect a post soon-ish from Eric explaining what’s transpired in the past 48 hours. Should be interesting. So, begging your forgiveness, we press on:

1. I’m just going to give you the lead to this story, because it’s so awesome: “A man accused of stealing bottles of BioSilk shampoo from a Frisco Target and hiding them in his pants may also be responsible for a similar theft in Lewisville, police said.” I guess he didn’t make a clean getaway. SCORE! ROGERS!

2. The Dallas County Young Dems are having a DNC-watching party tonight at La Condesa, in Victory Park. That’s what Dave Levinthal is reporting from Denver. [cough, cough]

3. Dr. Roger Unger, chair of diabetes research at UT Southwestern Medical School, has successfully treated mice and rats dying of insulin-dependent diabetes without using insulin. That’s great and all. But they’re just mice. I’d like to see these people working on more cures for humans.

Comments

13 responses to “Leading Off (8/26/08): Delayed By Denver Edition”

1. Trey Garrison says:

I hate you, Eric.

2. zigzagger says:

The shampoo thief was granted a conditional release.

3. LM says:

Tim, you obviously don’t understand that scientists spend years toiling away working with animals, DNA, stem cells, etc., until they are sure that a human trial would be prudent. Once they have a therapy, they conduct clinical trials on people. The rules for conducting rearch on people is VERY strict so that physicians can diminish harm to patients. I can assure you there are human medical trials all over the world involving thousands of physicans and other scientists frantically working on cures.

4. Rico says:

To LM: Geez, it was a JOKE.

1) One time when I was in college, I shoplifted a frozen pizza by sticking it down my pants — I had a really baggy shirt on. I’m not proud of this episode. Why am I reporting it, then? Good question. (BTW, I got away with it, and later, after I’d rescued several children from an apartment fire, I raffled off the pizza to help find a cure for diabetic mice. Thanks in part [okay, mostly] to my fine efforts, scientists are making some strides with the diabetes part, although mice are still tragically all-too-common. Ohpleasewontyouhelptoday?)

I’m never eating pizza at Daniel’s.

It was — er — shrink-wrapped.

I have a no pants-pizza policy.

9. Wes Mantooth says:

If you try the same thing with a frozen lasagna, you will get frostbite in a very delicate place. Don’t ask me how I know.

10. AS says:

Tim, that’s definitely a 3 pointer.

11. Instructions for handling this particular prisoner:
    Arrest. Release. Repeat.

As for the mouse/cure thing: Mice are people, too.

12. Oh bother. Your comments don’t take html tags.
    Here’s what was suppsoed to be linked to my mouse comment: