Leading Off (8/21/08)

1. Jenny the elephant is staying in Dallas. Yay! Right? Yay? No yay? Turns out, Concerned Citizens for Jenny still wants her to be moved to the sanctuary in Tennessee. So does Mitch Rasansky. And Lily Tomlin, I guess. A bunch of other people, too. Me? At the beginning, I was rooting for Jenny. Now I’m simply pulling for an end to this story. So please, just move her to Tennessee.

2. If you’re an elderly woman in North Dallas who parks in parking lots, beware the Good Samaritan robber.

3. Are you excited for the next non-issue scuffle? Get ready for once-a-week trash pickup.

Comments

21 responses to “Leading Off (8/21/08)”

1. Nathan says:

Zac, are you getting a “Jack Floyd Headache”? You now, the type that is caused by a local controversy that just won’t go away. Symptoms include writing blogs/columns about being hassled into voting. You should see a doctor.

2. JS says:

If Jenny is so miserable, let’s just shoot her and make us all some real nice boots.

3. AnonyMouse says:

JennyBurgers for all!

4. Mike says:

Why can’t they keep her with the other elephants at the Ft Worth Zoo? Or would that make too much sense?

5. drew says:

Apparently all the FW zoo elephants are Asian. Jenny’s an African elephant, and the two types supposedly don’t get along.

I fear that a future elephant-race-relations symposium is inevitable.

6. Towski says:

Couldn’t we just paint her toenails pink and white and hide her in a jelly bean jar?

7. Tim Rogers says:

Zac, where are your images? Every post MUST have an image. If we’re going to make this thing ugly, we’ve all got to pitch in.

8. Blogjacker says:

Perhaps Jenny Burgers would be an enticing and short term treat at Stephen Pyles’ or Fearings?

JennySausage? Jenny Pate? All this Jenny talk is making me hungry for elephant.

9. Tim Rogers says:

Yeah, that was EXACTLY the sort of (copyrighted) image we don’t need to be posting.

Adam and I just had a conversation with Wick. Here’s the new edict about images: use them when appropriate. They need not accompany every post. Thank you. That is all.

10. Andrew says:

For instance, it’s appropriate to use an image on any post concerning Casey Thompson.

11. confused says:

I’m still a little unclear. What about a post regarding Amber Campisi? Should you include a picture with it? And if so, what kind of pic can/should you use?

12. drew says:

I’ll bet the publisher of Minding the Store (the new one, I mean) would have left that image up.

13. nmlhats says:

When did “yea” become “yay”? Do Gen X and Y have a spelling problem?

14. nmlhats says:

We fill our blue recycling bin to the brim with everything allowable and compost almost all of our food garbage (not meat or seafood scraps).

It takes us at least a week–sometimes two–to fill up a big trash bag. I used to be opposed to the idea of once-a-week trash pickup until I realized that we didn’t even put trash out twice a week.

15. Spamboy says:

Welcome to our world, Big D — McKinney’s been once-a-week for quite some while. And yet somehow, we survive.

16. Wes Mantooth says:

It bears mentioning that Casey Thompson looks rather fetching in that hat-and-bikini combo. Was that a Top Chef quickfire that got left on the editing room floor? Some kind of team seafood-relay-race thing, I’d bet.

17. Zac Crain says:

@nmlhats: Decide for yourself if I was just using a colloquial version of “yea” or if I was making an odd reference to a branch of the Tai languages.

18. Zac Crain says:

Also, I’m more than ready for once-a-week trash pickup. Cuts one of my chores in half.