Layoffs at WFAA

I’m told that 14 positions have been eliminated at WFAA Channel 8. No word on how many are direct layoffs and how many are unfilled slots that will remain so. But one of the people let go was Macie Jepson. And, indeed, her bio has already been removed from the news team page.

Update: A helpful FBvian passes along this link to a profile of Jepson that still remains on Belo’s servers. Though I’m sure it won’t last long.

Comments

39 responses to “Layoffs at WFAA”

1. Spamboy says:

If her bio was removed that quickly, I’m assuming the webmaster wasn’t amongst those laid off.

2. Jay says:

News team disassemble!

3. mediawonk says:

I spent four years at WFAA, and Macie was among the nicest members of the on air staff (although nearly all of them were much more affable in real life than you might expect given the stereotype of the stuck-up anchor). I know her upbeat presence will be missed in the newsroom.

4. Ex-employee, ex-subscriber says:

Sorry to see Macie go. There are some less qualified people remaining on that talent payroll. Unless the webmaster just hasn’t gotten to her yet. IJS

5. Jim says:

There goes any reason whatsoever for me to turn to 8 at 5 PM….

6. ILoveBabe says:

Couldn’t they have just gotten rid of Dale’s ego? I’m sure it uses up the same amount of resources.

7. MacieCrush says:

I’ve seen Macie out-and-about in Plano and I was genuinely surprised on as to how TRULY sweet, approachable and tall she is. WOW. Aside from that, the other thing that really struck me is her beauty – actually, she quite the foxy lady! Will miss seeing her on Channel 8. I am sure that there will be other stations in town clamoring to get her on their staff – she’s got the goods and looks to match!

8. Eric Celeste says:

Jay: So inappropriate. I didn’t laugh out loud. Not at all.

9. Sweet Greggo says:

This makes me very, very sad. Sniff. Sniff. Sniff sniff sniff.

10. SB says:

Highly talented and much beloved Macie Jepson is out of a job, while Cynthia Izaguirre with her overly-Mexican last name and her fear gays still has a job. God bless affirmative action.

11. darley says:

But her pic is still there:

12. regular FBvian says:

Oh, why couldn’t it have been Cynthia Vega? I mean, really. Heaven forbid she has to “wing it” on a remote.

13. Fake Greggo says:

Nooooo not Macie Jugson the Channel 8 Dairy Queen.

14. Ex-employee, ex-subscriber says:

good work Darley, can you find the why guy too?

15. LOC says:

whew – but they still have brett shipp.

16. MacieCrush says:

Actually, the WHY GUY (Mike Castellucci) has moved to San Diego…about 3 or 4 wks ago…an all-around NICE GUY…that WHY GUY 🙂

17. Wes Mantooth says:

I’d take 10 Macie Jepsons over one Dale Hanson. Let him take one of those “national” jobs he’s always bragging about being offered.

18. Brandon says:

🙁

19. Ex-employee, ex-subscriber says:

Yes MacieCrush, i know… what i meant was can Darley snoop around on the Belo servers and find other pictures of former Belo8’ers

20. Michael says:

Uncle Barky is reporting Macie is only on air talent let go. 10 of the 14 spots were vacant and the other 3 were part time off air people. With the DMN, Star-Telegram and layoffs at all the stations, there are a lot of media people looking for new work this year.

21. Ex-employee, ex-subscriber says:

Eliminating vacant positions can hardly be called a layoff, but it can have a demoralizing effect on those left behind who were counting on 10 other folks to come along and lend a hand with those pesky belo buckets. Just the same, there are others who should have gone from the talent staff before Macie.

22. Interested says:

So, they let Macie go, who has talent and presence, and keep Shelly Slater, who is the most annoying person/newsreader/talking head I’ve come across in a long time. I keep hoping that Shelly Slater will go to Channel 5 and be paired with Mike Snyder. You could then sentence crooks to watch Slater and Snyder read the news. Ugh.

23. Wolverine says:

Ex-employee, ex-subscriber:
    You forgot to capitalize “Belo”.
    Wow, some writer. Proof read!

Nuff’ said

24. Patrick says:

Maybe Macie will go to the Naked News!!!

25. Blogjacker says:

Slater’s current schtick is perfect for Channel 5. However, she’d be acceptable at 8 if she’d back off the “leads/bleeds” voice affection.

26. now that is scary says:

Can someone say, “Texas Chainsaw Massacre?” Only the parts are from WFAA. This is a horror! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

27. Fudgy says:

Hooray. They finally made the right decision about Macie. Too bad they can’t remove Delkus. There are more informative and creative weather persons on the staff – right in front of their face. Typical.

28. Dave from Ennis says:

I’ll miss Macie, she’s good at what she does and she’s a babe.

And as far as knocking Shelly Slater, leave her alone. She does bob the head up and down too much but most of the young ones do that. Gina Miller does that and it drives me nuts.

Plus Shelly is smoking hot.

29. TruthTeller says:

Just check which of the female anchors had the biggest paycheck and you will know why Macie was let go and the other younger less experienced female reports got to stay.

30. VivaHoteWomen says:

If they are ugly they should go. WFAA should get some good looking women like FOXNEWS. Can’t wait for the hate posts on this one. But it will only be posts from ugly news women.

31. mikenfrisco says:

She could do agate work at the SD desk in a bikini. Those SD IC’s love big,er, stories.

32. slick says:

Hope channel 11 picks up Macie, that would vault them further ahead. Gloria Compos should have headed the layoff list. SINCE 2000 CHANNEL 8 IS CONTINUING to drop!!!!!

33. Katya Thompson says:

Macie Jepson’s gone – no more reason to watch Channel 8 at 5.

34. Jane says:

Sad to see Macie go- I loved her reporting and always thought it was mean the way the Ticket guys referred to her as Macie ‘Jugson’. Boo to The Ticket.
    Having met Shelly Slater, I will blast anyone who says a derogatory word about her. She is one of the nicest, genuine people who donated her time and money to the Child Abuse Prevention Center. Plus, her brother- in- law is HA HA HA HOOOTTTTTT!

35. John says:

Regret that Macie was separated and separated in the way WFAA handled the matter. She has truly been a class act par excellence! Her beauty is simply astounding; her ability to deliver news stories with a great affect was real, engaging, and she has such a great and creative sense of humor. Never did I see her not perform her on air job with anything short of A++, First Class! I will miss her — wish her and her family all the best.

36. JMH says:

I echo the remarks of “SB” above!!!!!!!

37. TexasFred says:

If talent had ANYTHING to do with it, Cynthia IzzaGGGGGEEEEEEERAAA would be long gone… Disgusting thing that she is…

Macie, hate to see ya go young lady, you are one of the good ones, and I have had the privilege of having actually met Macie, many years ago, and she was class then too…

38. Debbie says:

Macie is a class act! I watched channel 8 news at 5pm because of her! I really liked her style and how well she reported the stories, and ability to connect to the audience. Great sense of humor and likability, so down to earth! Jeff Bradie seems lost w/o her now… I know alot of people will miss you here and think channel 8 made a big mistake in letting her go! BUMMER! Good luck to you Macie!!!! I know my family will miss you!