Comments

38 responses to “Forecast: Sunday’s High, 105º; Heat Index, 1004º”

1. Could be worse. Say, if you’re about to fly out of LUV where the A/C is out for the next 10 hours. Which I just happen to be…

Free drink tickets anyone?

2. Cindy Garrison says:

Nice photo. Eric, it’s a shame you’re so slim now. Otherwise, I could see you and Tim cast as Heat Miser and Snow Miser in a live action “The Year Without a Santa Claus.”

3. amanda says:

Eric, I get it, you’re hot.

Got any more pictures? Jpeg us, por favor…

4. jrp says:

i love how some Texans/southerners/West Coast folk say they’d never live in the Northeast/Midwest because of the cold

well, this is my third summer here now and it only gets hotter

i’ll take Jan/Feb/March in the Northeast any day over late June/July/Aug/early Sept down here

this is freakin’ ridiculous…i feel faint every time i’m outside for more than five minutes

do you people even know how much fun it is to get drunk while underage in the woods/parking lot/anywhere outside during a snow storm around Valentine’s Day or play football in the rain in October when it’s 54 degrees?

beats standing in line at Six Flags or a water park with your blood boiling that’s for sure

5. LM says:

That’s why I go to Six Flags only in winter. I’ll take a Texas summer over a Boston March and April any time, not even couting Dec-Feb.

6. Adamundo says:

JRP – go home! JK! It is rediculously hot at times, but cold goes to the bone. Plus, with the flat ground, you can see real far!

7. monkey god says:

Where’s Freeze Miser? You know, Mr. 20 below.

8. AnonyMouse says:

Here’s an anecdote for you…

Last afternoon, my apartment AC went out. Blowing hot air. Called the office they came out and replaced the compressor. Worked for about 2 hours, then started doing it again. Called it in again, about 5 PM. Got a call back at about 6 PM, that some motor part was going to have to be replaced, but the part had to be ordered and it wouldn’t be in till the next day (today).
    Well, I used my handy dandy Sprint Mogul phone to find the nearest hotel (La Quinta on Knox/75) and book myself a room for the night.

The funny part: While I was checking in, TWO other check ins were by people whose AC had died.

True story.

9. allison says:

Please, jrp, my veins would freeze if I moved any further north. I’ll take 105 over 25 any dam day of the week.

As for my grandma, she used to always say “hotter’n blue blazes.” I think might start to throw in “h-o-t warm” to mix it up a bit.

10. jrp says:

the problem with the Texas summer is that it’s 365 days long.

many of you are ignorant about the change of seasons because you’ve never experienced it (and don’t gimme no crap about the three months/years you lived in philly, nyc, boston, D.C.)

the incessant heat has fried your collective brain

there’s a reason no one lived in the Southwest pre-AC: it’s a freakin desert

just understand that, please, you advocate living in a desert, are we clear Adamundo? hot, flat and illiterate are no way to go through life

it’s little wonder to me why Texas ranks dead last among the 50 states in air quality, but i guess most of you think a 5,500 sq ft home kept at 65 degrees all year with 3 SUVs in the (climate-controlled) garage are your birthrights

according to a report from last year by state Sen. Shapleigh, Texas ranks first in air pollution emissions, pollution released by manufacturing plants, greenhouse gases released, amount of carbon dioxide emissions, toxic chemicals released into waterways and amount of carcinogens released into the air.

but, hey, it’s too cold to live anywhere else, right?

11. rollin says:

you yankees can go home. here’s about the right time of year for us real Texans.

12. jrp says:

as you can guess, i’m in a bad mood, due not entirely to the freakin’ Sun that’s in my back pocket

so if you wanna spar, bring it

otherwise get you arse to the air conditioned bar for happy hour

13. amanda says:

Allison, that is why the stupid tax on hotels was a bad idea…we were told it would be out of towners paying it? Wrong, it’s you and me every time the power goes out, no a/c, etc.

14. AnonyMouse says:

jrp: and yet, here you are.

Maybe YOU should go to the bar. And away from your computer.

15. Kristin says:

JRP- methinks that if you spent the summer in Houston with the heat AND almost 100% humidity, you wouldn’t complain too much about summertime in Dallas.

My husband spent his high school years in Alaska and would take our heat over 80 below any day.

16. jrp says:

yeah, rollin, that’s it “Yankee, go home.”

that a step sideways from your boy, Adamundo

lemme guess, DISD edjamacation there, huh?

how is three weeks (soone to be two more months) of temps of more than 100 degrees acceptable? what’s in that damn cactus juice anyway?

17. drew says:

This winter someone remind me to look for the blog for M Magazine so I can rant and rave about how much Milwaukee sucks.

18. jrp says:

true, here i am. in need of a drink and some snow. but i’m here for my wife, as we all make sacrifices. we’ll eventually move and the weather will be a big reason why. another will be the ignoramuses.

i thought Manhattanites were parochial, myopic and delusional until i moved here.

19. rollin says:

it was the yankee liberals who planted all the trees and made it humid down here.

And you are a texan because you got here as quickly as you could.

20. Elizabeth says:

jrp, if this weather simply isn’t “acceptable” for you, go home. Also, if you plan to critique someone else’s grammar, perhaps YOU should start using something called a capital letter in the beginnings of your sentences. Your punctuation fails to meet standards, as well.

21. m2thej says:

JRP, i’m a midwesterner. i really miss the changing seasons you don’t get down here. all the rest of you, its not like you can just pack up and leave if you are here for work. I mean, seriously? i don’t see you all out on patios loving how hot it is… even my fellow co-workers who are Texan through and through are complaining.

it does really make you question what is worse? Extreme hot or extreme cold… Because you can only take off so many clothes to cool off but you can put a lot on… and sit by a fire, get drunk, and laugh that you don’t have to work tomorrow again since you’ve gotten 2 feet of snow!

And flag football in the fall is much more fun when it is still not 90+ in September.

22. m2thej says:

I should also mention I have not complained once about the heat other than a “yep, its hot”. and I”m pregnant

23. rollin says:

m2thej:
    I applaud you for your courage.

It doesn’t make sense to complain about it. It Summer. Its Texas. This isn’t an anomaly.

24. amanda says:

Right on rollin, it’s Texas, summer, so get over it. I went to school in NH, walking to class when it’s “0” or below has it’s drawbacks as well.

Everyone play nice, please…

I wouldn’t mind more than one week of spring and fall, IJS. Mostly because I have some really cute coats I could be wearing.

I mean, girls, think of the shopping if we had more options when it came to seasons. I saw what happens when that happens – I wept.

That being said, it IS Texas. Mentioning that it’s hot is like mentioning there’s a Hummer over there and that lady over there has fake boobs.

Duh.

26. drew says:

fake i-d-i-o-t-s?

Yes. The ones that rest on your chest.

28. Kristin says:

Bethany, I have some really cute coats…but what happens when I go somewhere and have to hold it AND my purse AND hope I don’t spill my drink since my hands are full? Plus, bathing suits cost less than coats. IJS.

Isn’t that why God invented men?

30. jrp says:

Elizabeth, go crap in your hat. Seriously, is you life view so skewed that using CAPS or employing the proper comma usage on a blog are of any import? God, Bless Us. go teach grammar to kids or something. seriously, get over yourself.

and it’s not that the weather is unacceptable or anything remotely close to that, i’m just still trying to figure how so many people actually prefer this heat to living somewhere (milwaukee, bangor, berlin, moscow) that has four discernible seasons

and those that say “just move back to where you came from” clearly have never lived more than 20 miles from where they were born

m2thej, thanks a bunch for some support. i guess the joys of getting drunk with family and friends on a Tuesday night as feet and feet of snow comes down isn’t something everyone should be lucky enough to enjoy. and best of luck with the pending birth.

c’yous suckers next week

31. amanda says:

Is it just me or is jrp on his period?

32. rollin says:

I take offense to the why God invented man line. But I guess thats what I get for the liberals created the humidity bit.

I kid you not. I have heard that one before.

33. rollin says:

jrp:
    loved your examples. although, which city doesn’t fit? Bangor, ME? Pop. 30K? Are you kidding?

I always get bangor confused with moscow, milwaukee and berlin.

Today, rollin, I was looking through this trivia book by Ken Jennings and was reminded that in 1980, Ronald Reagan blamed 80 percent of air pollution on trees.

35. rollin says:

Genius, “Mommy”!

I’ll never forget one time he said, “I notice the people for abortion have already been born.”

36. AJ says:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it’s hot. On a separate note, Scott Murray is still alive with weird hair. Some stupid Barnett Shale thing on Ch. 5 tonight and Mr. Murray is doing a kick *ss job! He’s alive!

37. Harvey Lacey says:

Double doggone darn folks. It’s not that complicated. Every area has a little something to keep it from being overpopulated by those that tend to do so.

Up north they have the cold and that funny way of talking.

The east coast has the hurricanes and old New Yorkers to contend with.

Out west they have the earthquakes and fruitcakes.

Here we have the heat and Baptists. Or is that Baptists and the heat.

Every spring and fall I walk around being thankfull that it’s not like that all the time. If it was there would be so many people on top of us that we’d all want to become Baptists to get some relief.

38. tom in dallas says:

Actually I wish my ancestors had made it to California rather than staying here. Now that is a nice place to live. Lowest electricity rates in the USA because you do not need to heat or cool that often.