DMN “community watchdog” Jennifer LaFleur (possible wife/sister of failed Cowboys tight end David?) says around 400 of Dallas County’s 8,000 elevators are late for their annual checkups. Which doesn’t sound like a lot, but I guess one is too many. That is, if you’re married to me and are deathly afraid of such conveyances. (If some connected FBvian could send me a map of what elevators to avoid, just to be on the safe side, that would be awesome.)

Comments

21 responses to “Elevators Overdue For Inspection; Local Magazine Editor’s Wife Coincidentally Overdue For Giant Freakout”

1. For the record says:

Snark silver medal of this morning’s events for gratuitous reference to “…failed Cowboys tight end…”, above and beyond mere name trivia compulsory demonstration.

2. NC says:

thanks for totally ruining my day.

3. amandacobra says:

The one in my building gets stuck no less than twice a month. It’s so commonplace now that everyone takes their cell phones with them when riding the elevator so that you can play solitaire or check your email while waiting for the DFD. Not kidding. Good times.

4. JS says:

I was just in one today that was supposed to have been inspected by August 2007. They were nice enough to post the certificate letting you know that it hadn’t been inspected for two years, though, so I got that going for me.

5. Puddin'Tane says:

You know that moment when you step inside the elevator and the door closes? The moment just before it moves…ya hear a sound?

Don’t you wonder every time if the whole thing is about to plummet?

6. jrp says:

i do, puddin’, everytime

here in Elm Place (1401 Elm) the elevators are 40+ years old, the inspection placard on most of them read “last inspected Dec. 2005” or ’06 and it’s like Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride each trip

always have my cell with me and usually take a newspaper just in case it gets stuck, which hasn’t happened to me, but has happened at least 5-6 times the past three years

good times

7. former texan says:

@Puddin’Tane by “plummet” do you mean slam into the TOP of the shaft? cause that is how elevators fall. The counterweight falls, the passenger car goes to the top.

8. For the record says:

So we should be looking UP in case of worry, like that beginning “clunk” Tane references, instead of DOWN? Not that we can see anyting at all, of course, since we’re INSIDE AN ELEVATOR. Still, I do it every time I hear the “clunk”, but now at least I’m staring blindly in the right direction. This important factoid will make me popular among my fellow passengers/tenants while we wait on rescue.

9. drew says:

Interesting about “falling up.” I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of elevator dynamics is pretty much based on the opening rescue sequence in Speed.

10. Puddin'Tane says:

Former: I don’t think it’s a “fall” if something goes up. I believe that cable failure happens and everything eventually goes to the bottom.

Wasn’t there a woman who fell several stories inside an elevator at the Vendome last year??? Right after her husband’s funeral too?

Gravity: it’s a killer!

11. RP says:

Now I have to worry about falling down and falling up. Great. I used to be afraid of elevators and now I’m terrified. Is there a 12 step program for this?

12. Zac Crain says:

Top Three Elevator-Related Action Scenes in Movies:

1. Speed
    2. Die Hard
    3. Ocean’s Eleven

That’s off the top of my head. May revise.

13. drew says:

The first Mission Impossible had a good one as well, towards the beginning. I never understood why Emilio Estevez was uncredited though.

14. Zac Crain says:

Right. Probably bump O11 off for that.

What about the action in the elevator on Fatal Attraction?

16. Courtney says:

I would always cry about not wanting to go on as a kid, and my parents, would punish me for it, but you know what? I was scared then, now, I’m terrified!

17. triapinnova says:

Кто как думает, повлияет ли кризис на итернет? Я так подазреваю что безусловно, подвижки уже есть.И это очень печально(((

18. GreattNes says:

Ты че бредиш? Какой кризис=) Нас это не каснется это там пендосы в своей америке пусть переживают. А интернет он независим от окружающего мира. Только вот будет ли а нас бапки чтоб его оплачивать вот другой вопрос))))