Dallas Heavyweights Get All Political

First, Fred Baron and that whole John Edwards thing. Then Harold Simmons and that whole anti-Obama ad thing. You know who’s been quiet? H. Ross Perot. Oh, wait. There he is, harping on the deficit, education, and other political hot topics. Who needs to go to Denver, when there’s so much political grist in our own backyard?

Comments

59 responses to “Dallas Heavyweights Get All Political”

1. I wonder where the outrage is about Harold Simmmons from Wick? I haven’t heard anything about this through the liberal media? The DMN has already defended him.
    I bet Fred Baron had something to do with this. Let us all rally behind a rich white billionaire who is trying to discredit the nation’s first black presidential candidate.

While you may win a race by sucking from the bottom of a scum bucket, the country will be destroyed in the process. BTW, why is it that this blog never ever mentions the biggest crook of all that lives among us?
    Harriet Miers took our constitution and shredded it. Got away with it. Is profiting from it.

2. Trey Garrison says:

Obama is not the first black presidential candidate.

He’s not even the first black major party presidential candidate.

“…the country will be destroyed in the process”?

Oh good lord.

Thumbelina:
    Never mentions Harriet Miers?

OK – there’s this thing, in the upper right hand corner of this screen, that has a button named “search” next to it. Type in Harriet Miers, then click on the search button.

Because this is what you’ll find:

4. Trey
    If you claim to be a journalist. Then answer the questions that are brought up.
    Do you defend Simmons? Or are you just looking for way to avoid it.
    Will history be made tommorrow night with the first black candidate accepting the nomination? The country has already been destroyed. So while you oh good lord me, be a man, for gods sake and deal with the issue and stop acting like a prima donna…

A) Tomorrow.

B) What are you talking about? Did Timmy fall in the well again?

6. Bethany
    Either participate in the debate or not.
    Those are your rules, so try and stick to them. Your grammer corrections are absurd and your humor is humorless.
    Grow up. Get a life. Debate, or get teach 8th graders.
    BTW, check the articles about Miers vs Edwards. You are going to be so bummed if they never offer you a job.

7. BTW Trey

Why do you find it important to call our your attack girls? Be a man. Stand up for yourself and your views. We all have our friends willing to do verbal attacks, but feel secure enough to stick up for yourself.
    Now, have a great day.

8. Wes Mantooth says:

Ban.

I think it’s cute how obtuse you are. Adorable. I have a job. I also have a blog, where I’ve actually disagreed with Trey, so I’m hardly his attack girl.

10. Gadfly says:

Bethany, I’m thinking pink would be a good choice.

11. Trey Garrison says:

“Your grammer corrections are absurd and your humor is humorless.Grow up. Get a life. Debate, or get teach 8th graders.”

Or get teach 8th graders?

What?

12. Trey Garrison says:

“Do you defend Simmons?”

Should anyone have to?

Trey, Potemkin Village High, you think?

John McCain’s wife Cindy has had surgery to tighten her hoo-ha, at her shrivelled hubby’s insistence. This is a fact, insofar as it’s impossible to disprove. Since the media won’t report this, I’m going to exercise my rights as a hundredaire and get this nebulous assertion lodged in the public’s collective cranium.

When? Um, you’re lookin’ at it.

15. mm says:

First you get some 8th graders. Then you teach them. You teach them grammer.

Oh good Lord, do I have to explain everything?

16. Jesse Jackson and Alan Keyes says:

Thumbelina Low – Take your meds.

17. Becky says:

If you read your own response, you prove the point that TL is making. Respond with content. 82 percent think this country is headed the wrong direction. If you are worried about grammer, talk to your President. “You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.” GW Bush
    Simmons is trying to Swift Boat Obama over something that happened when he was 8 years old. At least be open enough to answer the question.

18. El Rey says:

Daniel – well played!

T-Low and Michelle Obama are one and the same. Niether were proud of their country until Barack started winning some primaries. All history before then is regarded as rumor, propaganda and political innuendo.

So with props to Daniel, here is my not-yet news:
    Yesterday, Joe Biden and Bill Clinton snorted coke off the abs of David Beckham while June Jones and Paris Hilton made out in a corner. When asked if she knew who scored the coke, Mary-Kate Olson asked to be a part of the Witness Protection Program. John Edwards wife, Elizabeth, refused to comment…

19. DGirl says:

I think Thumbelina Low is nutty like Ross Perot’s nutty. Nutty, confrontational, not afraid to ignore factual evidence contrary to his/her position just so he/she can keep thinking he’s/she’s right, regardless of who gets hurt.

What do you think, Ike? See any similarities?

20. mm says:

TL does have a point, but makes it SO poorly. However, I would also like to hear Wick’s take on the Harold Simmons issue.

Becky, TL said the blog never talked about Harriet Miers. I responded to that. I then, in a subsequent post, snarkily asked TL to please elucidate as to what exactly he/she meant. And I corrected spelling, not grammAr.

And technically, regardless of who you voted for, whoever wins is everyone’s president, not just mine. Because, you know, my personal president would be more judicious about getting into wars on more than one front and over-extending our military. He’d also pronounce nuclear correctly.

22. Trey Garrison says:

“Simmons is trying to Swift Boat Obama over something that happened when he was 8 years old.”

If by that you mean exercise his first amendment rights to criticize and raise doubts about a politician — so what?

That’s the marketplace of ideas for you — everyone gets a say. And no politician is above being attacked.

23. Tim Rogers says:

Wow. Thumbelina Low is my new favorite commenter. Get out the cactus juice and let’s two-step (it’s a country dance).

My Own Personal President would smoke me out of my hole. Each day at 4:20.

25. Grey Tarrison says:

That’s the marketplace of ideas for you – everyone gets a say, proportionate to their ability to purchase access to that marketplace with dollars, not with ideas, and then once there to market their ideas on a scale proportionate to what they can afford in dollars, not in ideas. And no politician is above being attacked.

26. M says:

Having recently had dinner with Harold I can assure you he is totally not prejudiced in any way shape or form. He is completely convinced that Obama is a decent man but that his tax policies are detrimental. I don’t agree but am confused why when he is willing to put his money toward furthering his political belief Thumbelina feels the need to make presumptuous accusations. Remember Harold started life in a house without indoor plumbing and had accumulated 8 billion dollars. We may not agree with his politics but have to acknowledge that he may know more than the rest of us…also remember that he is in the top 10 charitable donors in the country.

Cindy McCain blamed her husband for her addiction to prescription painkillers:

“My pain was more than just physical. The Keating Five savings and loan scandal had just blown up, and my husband was implicated. I became a focus of the investigation when I couldn’t find receipts showing that John and I had reimbursed the Keatings for a vacation we took to the Bahamas. The first time I ever heard of the Keating Five, I was in the hospital, recovering from my first back surgery. A resident came in, threw a newspaper down on my bed and said, ‘Gee, I guess your husband’s not so perfect after all.’ Throughout the investigation, the painkillers cushioned me. The newspaper articles didn’t hurt as much, and I didn’t hurt as much. I can remember sitting in the Senate hearings, listening to Howell Heflin saying terrible things not just about my husband but about me. The pills made me feel euphoric and free.” — Newsweek, April 9 2001.

According to the , McCain told Keating he “had not spent five-and-a-half years in a prisoner of war camp to have my courage or integrity questioned.” (source: The Washington Post, November 21, 1990.

Now, the connection between the two events is dubious to me — though it wasn’t to Bob Dole at the time. Dole: “He has been held hostage before under very difficult circumstances. So let us not keep him hostage here in the Senate.” (source: The New York Times, October 23, 1990.)

I don’t know about you guys, but I demand a President who is so pathetically traumatized from being a POW several decades ago that he feels himself to be above questioning. I believe we should amend the constitution to make PTSD a qualification for the United States presidency.

28. pookie says:

you left out T. Boone Pickens and that whole Swift Boat thing — and Wind Power thing.

Acciording to the … [Washington Post]

30. amanda says:

TL doesn’t like me, I won’t speculate as to why, but Becky has her back, so I will say this to you ladies:

Bethany will NEVER get a job at D. She can’t pass the background check.

Thumbs and Becks, stay classy, and turn over a tall cold cactus juice while you’re at it.

It’s true. I can’t. It’s that stupid public nudity charge, and the repeated vandalism convictions.

32. Trey Garrison says:

Grey — you are guaranteed the right to free speech. You aren’t guaranteed the same microphone that other people are willing to buy. You have a right to buy a car — no one guarantees you get a Bentley. No one should have their first amendment rights limited — especially political speech — just because of the size of her pocketbook.

Even more, influential outlets aren’t the exclusive province of the rich. DailyKos, PajamasMedia, and Instapundit, for instance, started on shoestring budgets.

The Internets is almost free.

33. amanda says:

Bethany that’s kid’s stuff compared to what I have on you.

TL, you should seriously look into this Bethany person, IF, that is even her real name.

I would say more, but I have an interview at DISD, 8th grade, teaching grammar.

34. diahh says:

John McCain’s wife Cindy has had surgery to tighten her hoo-ha….

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

35. Trey Garrison says:

Tim has a public nudity charge. IJS.

36. IttyBittyWussy says:

It’s a Western dance, not a country dance. Jake and Elwood can explain the difference.

Trey’s right, anybody can see it. It’s free speech plain and simple. But Trey, is there not a line between the substantive and the scurrilous? It may be perfectly legal, but is it really fair play to imply that Obama somehow colluded in the bombing of government buildings?

(BTW, my above post was merely an illustration — I couldn’t care less about the cited events in McCain’s history. Point was, more capable hands than mine could probably make hay out of those non-issues from 18 years ago. They’d need a capable wallet behind them, of course.)

John McCain’s wife Cindy has had surgery to tighten her hoo-ha….

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Well, but it was at John’s behest, you see. Can America afford a President who can accomplish the mission set before him by a flight suit’s codpiece?

Who CAN’T accomplish said mission.

Rough day today.

40. Trey Garrison says:

Look, I don’t want to get too deep into this because I don’t support either McCain or Obama. But I don’t think the ads even remotely suggest Obama had anything to do with the bombings. They call into question his judgment for associating closely — and very recently — to Ayers, including having a kick-off fundraiser at the Ayers’ home.

That’s fair game, in my humble opinion. Same if McCain associated with David Duke, or Bob Barr associated with Timothy McVeigh.

41. Trey Garrison says:

to=with

42. amanda says:

Daniel, I don’t take the ads to imply that just because Obama and (insert target here) are associated that Obama is guilty. This is about that word you are going to hate: character.

For example, I have drinks with Bethany. Bethany is a known person of nefarious (thanks Bethany for the college word) intent… Oh, crap, I can’t run for office.

Thanks, Bethany.

I don’t think Obama was bombing buildings in 2nd or 3rd grade, I just don’t think he has the ability to lead, or he wouldn’t be hanging out with terrorist. (Funny how the counterpoint on McCain always comes us. To most of us, he’s a “settle” at best.)

YOU ARE KNOWN BY THE COMPANY YOU KEEP. This applies to both sides, and, for me, is why I don’t like my party’s choice.

Sorry I ruined your political career, Amanda.

I knew being a hit-woman to fund my education would come back to bite me in the butt.

Fair enough, but it’s also about that word you’ve been know to like, Amanda: classy. The Simmons smear ad isn’t.

I think both the Obama and McCain camps are discovering there’s no such thing as “a new kind of campaign.”

FWIW, I support neither McCain nor Obama myself. And I blew any chance of running for office a long, long time ago. But at least I’m the King of the Night Time World.

45. amanda says:

Daniel, you are so much more than that. TL, though, is the co-queen, with Sandra, of cactus juice, and that is everything. Bethany is queen of everything else. I said so.

Policial ads are political ads. I believe the “daisy-chain” started it… They are never (or rarely) “classy.” They aren’t supposed to be.

I so need a tiara.

47. Grey Tarrison says:

No one should have their first amendment rights limited – especially political speech – just because of the size of her pocketbook.

48. Trey Garrison says:

Exactly. Not poor, not rich.

49. Wes Mantooth says:

Grey, wake up and smell the roses. The rights aren’t limited, the distribution is limited. It’s not the same.

Mutter “Dear Leader is a Crackhead” under your breath in Pyongyang and you’ll be lucky if you just wind up silenced and not dead. Scream “George Bush is a Crackhead” from the rooftops in America and you might be applauded or looked at as crazy, but you and your family won’t be imprisoned.

In Pyongyang, the right to free speech is limited. In America, you can speak as freely as you like, and you can distribute that speech as far as your pocketbook and/or public interest will stretch. It’s a fundamental difference.

50. michel says:

You so need to get back to work.

A wretched North Korean can’t just say what he’s really thinking and still expect to get some Pyongyang. Whereas in America, a man of means can speak his mind and have Bush at his disposal.

52. amanda says:

Oh, Daniel, you keep talking like that, and you will definitely not get laid tonight.

53. Grey Tarrison says:

The rights aren’t limited, the distribution [of the speech] is limited. It’s not the same.

So that’s why Harold Simmons is spending all that money, on the limited and thus pricey distribution market for his otherwise relatively valueless free political speech.

If Harold’s free political speech had any real value by itself, why waste those all those dollars on it? That’s what the free Internets are for, to absorb, warehouse, and try to make a marginal click mil on that otherwise unmarketable free speech residue.

Like we do here.

So I should can the bit I’m working up about Yangon? Because, let me tell you, it’s 45 seconds of dynamite.

55. Becky says:

Okay, if history is fair.
    McCain is a self appointed war hero.
    While in captivity he participated in propaganda films, after being tortured.
    Tortured?
    Aside from that disloyalty, just getting shot down, does not a President make.
    He contemplated suicide. He killed civillians and then made a career out of it.
    He was part of the Keating Five.
    He left his ailing and recuperating wife for a younger rich woman. Too big of a wuss to get out and work himself.
    The drawing the “cross in the sand” was lifted from a book for a lie in 2000 that changed to a different lie in 2008. For God’s sake, he flew a modern jet over primitive, defenseless Vietnam, dropping bombs on men, women, and children, from the safety of hus cushy seat. And even with all the heavy armory, he still got shot down. Perhaps it was a sling shot.
    McCain almost drowned in a lake, but a Vietnamese man, one he had been trying to kill, came out with a bamboo pole to save his “hero” ass. Maybe he was under water for too long which gets him confused between the Sunnis and Shites, or how he doesn’t know enough about HIV to know where “he stands on it”, or how many homes he has, or how to read, or how to think, or even where he is for that matter. Not to mention the fact that he has been busted in one lie after another after another. Howver, if we are going by Mr. Simmons theory, then we have go study the history of all McCains friends today, that were active when he was 7. We alredy know his love for John Hagee, and the oh so brilliant Phil (enron loophole) Gramm who would really be a whiner if the Texas media didn’t protect him and Kay Bailey so much. But I digress, backt to the wuss. The old wrinkley wuss. The demented wuss who belongs in a nursing home. More to come

End of Part One

56. IttyBittyWussy says:

Becky, there are 3 wussies in this thread and McCain isn’t one of them.

57. Becky says:

You are right.

He is a mega-ultra-dynamo-wrinkley old tired
    junked out wuss deluxe.

58. El Rey says:

I thought all the kooks went to see the messiah in Denver. What happened, Becky? Did you miss the bus?

59. Becky says:

Yes, you are right. D Magazine has sent two of it’s finest. Now take a look at your messiah, it is in your pants if you can find it.