Bring It On, Edouard!

I know I’m not supposed to like hurricanes or tropical storms. I know they are terrible, terrible things. But the truth is I do like them. When they hit Texas and Dallas is 108 degrees, I really like them. The reason I like them is because of clouds. I love clouds. I love clouds that block the sun. I love clouds that cause the temperature to fall 5 or 10 or 15 degrees. So allow me to be the first — and perhaps only — person to officially welcome Edouard to our shores. (But, much as I like you, dear Edouard, what’s up with the crazy spelling? Did you pass through France? Wasn’t that out of your way?)

Comments

14 responses to “Bring It On, Edouard!”

1. Not Me says:

by all means let’s welcome the destruction of property and disruption of peoples’ lives so wick can feel a little cooler. what a tool.

2. DGirl says:

I’m with you, Wick. Beinvenidos, Edouard.

3. shrinkrap says:

Maybe it’s the odd spelling but I’ve heard multiple local and national news anchors including Judy Woodruff on “The News Hour” refer to TS Edouardo.

4. jrp says:

happy clouds…yeah

5. Neal says:

Not Me: “by all means let’s welcome the destruction of property and disruption of peoples’ lives so wick can feel a little cooler.”

The destruction and disruption – if any – will happen in Houston, so who cares?

If it cleans the air and makes Houston smell better, I’ll write a check to the Red Cross and deal, IJS.

7. AndyN says:

Screw Houstin, bring on the cat 5 storm with a northern shift towards DFW. Roaches survive nuclear attacks, Houston will survive the storm. Rain please!

8. Spamboy says:

Freakin’ French storms. Or as I like to call them, “Freedoms!”

9. Puddin'Tane says:

“The destruction and disruption – if any – will happen in Houston, so who cares?”

“If it cleans the air and makes Houston smell better, I’ll write a check to the Red Cross and deal”

“Screw Houstin, bring on the cat 5 storm”

My family are in the Houston area so may a tornado be visited upon all your houses.

See how this works?

If the tornado comes and moves my house to a better neighborhood, like it did for Dorothy, should I complain?

11. Can’t we all get along? Reports from Houston are that there’s little of note to this weather event, making it a non-event event.

Mark it down that I’m defending Wick, but I think his point was that he just wants it to rain. I want it to rain, too. My yard is browning, trees are suffering and the water utility for my neighborhood is draining my wallet.

Must we always be so snarky? I know, I know, this will only lead to a snark-bite with me wearing a bulls-eye, but really. Flash back to the ’80s for a few minutes and recall Phil Collins singing “I wish it would rain.”

12. AndyN says:

Oh come on. I was smiling when I typed that. Don’t take the internet so seriously. I’ve got family there too, and if it was really a serious storm, they’d probably be camping in my spare room right now.

13. Dorothy says:

I loved all the above posts and laughed through every one of them. We need to laugh more. There will come a time when we can’t. Bring on the snark. Thanks for making my morning.

14. El Rey says:

Having grown up on the saltgrass prairie of South Texas, I think anything less than a Cat 3 storm is just considered heavy rain. The people of South Texas are used to it. Am I the only one to notice the hype given to the little hurricanes, lately? They really are non-events.

Hurricane forecasters have overestimated the strength and number of hurricanes to make landfall for the past three years. Every time the ‘predictions’ come out, the global warming types come out of the woodwork… What a racket!