Why Earmarks Matter

In the past when I’ve complained about GOP earmarks and praised Dallas’ Jeb Hensarling’s fight against them), readers (mostly Republicans, defending Republican excesses) tell me to stop fretting, earmarks are only a tiny component of the federal deficit. That may be true . But Conn Carroll of the Heritage Foundation now has a chart up which argues for a correlation between increased earmarks and out-of-control government spending. And that doesn’t even include the attendant corruption (hello there, Sen. Ted Stevens).

Comments

8 responses to “Why Earmarks Matter”

1. Thumberlina Low says:

The Heritage Foundation? Don’t they still believe in WMD’s?

2. LOC says:

Besides the gratuitous Jeb reference, what’s the Dallas connection to this piece? At least let me know what earmarks we’re benefiting from when posting about them.

3. PR says:

Does this include earmarks for Vegas strip clubs?

I’m still dubious about this “no earmarks thing.” There are a good half-dozen ways to work an earmark into an appropriations bill without making it scream that it’s an earmark – unless you know what you’re looking for and have a whole lot of time. The tell-tale sign is when the amount eventually budgeted is more than what was asked for.

5. Wes Mantooth says:

I’m still dubious that this is actually Wick. Little to no postings for months, and now what, 4 in one day? Sounds like something sneaky, sis.

6. Jack Jett says:

I’ve been trying to find out where the word
    earmark originated from. I can’t find
    hide ner hair about it.

Anyone know?

7. amanda says:

Jack, I didn’t wiki it, but my Dad said it was an agricultural term…marking the cattle, sheep, etc. Prior to slaughter or during a drive as the ones you wanted for yourself.

8. Peterk says:

farmers will cut a notch in the ear of livestock to show it is their’s. similar to branding. (wiki doesn’t have everything, I googled it)
    earmarks are registerd just like brands