Comments

17 responses to “The “Lowest Greenville” War Zone”

1. Jessica says:

with the starting price for the smallest of homes in the area rising to over $300K, the residents are gonna push out these types of businesses…

2. Tom says:

Rising gas prices also have contributed. People who live and work in the 972 are less likely to make trips into the 214 on Friday and Saturday nights when it costs more to fill up.

3. Bill says:

The economy has nothing to do with it. Those bars/restaurants sucked. You guys ever eat at some of those places? Gag me wiff a spoon!

4. S.E. says:

The $300k houses may push out the bars and clubs, but it’s not like developers are looking to pour money into anything right now. The drugstore chains, Starbucks and some banks are holding off on expansion plans, and those are the only businesses that would stand a chance in that neighborhood. I wonder how long those buildings will stay empty.

5. Michael says:

I agree with the above but will add that the neighborhood has deterred North Dallasites from coming down as well. I love Teppo but the area is a bit creepy at night especially on weekends. I always am sad to see any business fail but hopefully if the bars go away the replacement business will encourage more diversity in the area.

6. Jessica says:

I think the unforunate future for greenville ave is antiques and boutiques. In other words, another area that snider plaza can brag about being better than.

7. thomas says:

Even Lower G’ville is slowing down like Lowest.

I respectfully disagree with you, Jessica. I’d say higher density redevelopment is in the works for Lower and Lowest. Businesses on the ground floor and lofts on top.

8. billh says:

Ate at Nandina’s on Lower Greenville on Saturday, wonderful meal, no problem parking. My son played at the Cavern many times. We were there until all hours, never had a single problem. Parking is a pain, but we used valet.

9. LakeWWWooder says:

Recruit the Andres Brothers to lease out these spaces. They are locals who have the long-term interests of the city in mind. And they are doing a great job on Henderson.

I don’t have any financial interest in their company – other than my Cochran Heights home has gone up 359% in value since they starting revitalizing Henderson.

10. Jason says:

Parking, Parking, Parking.

Don’t fret – this is part of the cyclical bar and restaurant business. Plus, lower Greenville is looking like Deep Ellum. Run down and dirty.

11. E. Dallas Denizen says:

“New apartment, retail complex going up on Greenville http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/072908dnbusgreenville.f71b9ae.html

12. DM says:

Jason:

Deep Ellum’s woes have just about bottomed out. Locating our ad/production business located in the district has proven to be a great decision. With DART, new construction and large land deals happening, we intend to stay and be part of the revival. (and yes, this is kind of an ad).

13. jrp says:

the biggest problem, at least in my not-so-humble opinion, with businesses on the ground floor and lofts on top is who over the age of 22 wants to live above a restaurant or bar?

i have no idea why someone with a family would live in that “uptown” area, but i guess some do, although i doubt many Texans want to live in high density areas. the ones that do, move to NYC, LA, D.C. etc.

and that whole multi-use malarkey simply isn’t feasible in today’s market no matter how much real estate agents/developers want to believe it is

look at the fiasco that is GloryPark in Arlington…if Mr. Hicks is having trouble finding adequate financing and tenants then that doesn’t bode well for a possibly similar, albeit smaller, development on greenville

14. jrp,

No way you can compare Arlington to Dallas. Arlington has no public transportation. I predict that people will go to the cowboys games, then go to downtown Dallas/uptown/etc to have a drink and hang out.

With all of the corporate relos that are starting to jump off, all of these apartments and townhomes will be filled. Lower Greenville is a max 10 minute commute to downtown.

A lot of money is made in real estate on the buy. If you bought smart you can afford some short term pain you’ll ring the cash register in time.

I know several people who are from other places, graduated from college and bought townhomes in this area.

Despite Michael and Jason’s like-yikes-Scoob trepidation, and over Jessica’s objections, it is precisely the grit of Lower Greenville that may prevent it from becoming another Snyder Plaza. It’s a very cyclical place, and its latest incarnation finds it as a stomping ground for bellicose, profoundly ill-bred frat boys drinking more than they can handle and “slumming it” with sociopathic, deeply ignorant inner-city cheese dealers. The kinds of establishments that cater these idiots are here-today-gone-tomorrow by nature; just by happenstance, several of them have hit the skids at the same time. Coffeehouses, hipster boutiques, etc., would do better here than anywhere else in town — certainly better than Deep Ellum (no offense, DM). As for Snyder Plaza, no hipster would be caught dead there. (No big fan of hipsters, but it’s a very legitimate demographic.)God bless Kuby’s, but they really should just rename that whole area Cotton Island.

The question is whether “better than anywhere else in town” is good enough. Is that a canary I hear, or have the frat boys just stopped honking the horns of their Broncos?

Let’s see if I can say this on a family program: Imbeciles.

17. CBS says:

Daniel: Broncos, really? that’s so 90’s (or was it 80’s). I think you were thinking Yukons, but whatever. Frat boys are a legit demo as well. I think I will start a charity with that tagline.