RE: iPhone Lines on Knox

I pass the queue on Knox at least twice a day traveling back and forth from work. It has barely shrunk in the days since the new iPhone’s release (even today it was about 15 to 20 people deep). Do I think my 5-day-old 3G is worth hours of waiting in line? I don’t know. As my sweet dad pointed out in yesterday’s comments section, I didn’t have to find out:

The reason that Stacey did not reply is because she received hers on day 2 from Mom and Dad who braved the early lines (at NorthPark).

I’m so not worthy.

Comments

10 responses to “RE: iPhone Lines on Knox”

1. Nuts says:

We live in Texas, it’s the summer…Why in the world would you stand in line outside the Knox Apple store when you can do the same thing at Northpark in cool comfort. Then again, I’m not the type that waits in line for a phone.

2. Claire says:

Someone mentioned that NP doesn’t have a steady flow of phones.

3. Josh Davis says:

Ugh. Re-post @ Nuts:

“No one is at North Park because it has been sold out for days. Knox is the only store with a steady, refilling supply. Us que’ers (uncomfortably close to another word) generally do our homework.”

4. Wes Mantooth says:

These lines will look very foolish when the Android phone launches. IJS.

Of course, there is this:

If you really want to know when they’re available, and where.

6. Tom says:

Just wait until word gets out that the new iPhone won’t save you from this: http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2008/07/17/the-dallas-rapture/

7. When I was at Chuy’s on Sunday, I saw a bunch of people in line at the Knox St store when it was 100 degrees out. I love tech stuff, but I don’t get waiting in line for hours for a phone.

Is it true that you can’t use free (non-apple) apps?

8. Jason says:

Two things to fix on the iPhone.

1. Battery life
    2. Need to be able to run apps in the background. If you want to use an IM client, the app has to be open on the phone. If you browse over to your calendar to look something up, you are disconnected.

9. Josh Davis says:

Running apps in the background would only cause a greater strain on problem number one, but both are true.

@ Michael: Unless you are technically proficient and would know how to work around such an issue, you can only use apps downloaded from the iTunes Store. But there is a pretty good selection of free apps in the store. My favorites: Shazam (identifies artist and title of any music it hears i.e.-on the radio ect, then provides a link to buy it through iTunes), BoxOffice (one touch movie reviews & showtimes), and Jott (voice recorder that saves to an online database to be listened to later).

10. Jason says:

@Josh

I had a 3G Treo for a while and the battery literally lasted 6 hours tops so I had to dumb down the data connection to EDGE to make it last.

Apple is going to have to find a way to fix this (apps in the background and battery life). Having an IM client running in the background has to happen.

The best way to fix it is to have the phone dumb itself down into EDGE except when you are using Safari or a designated application. 3G is best for Google Maps and Safari, but not needed for mail, IM, and other text based apps.