Quick Going Weekly, Celeste to Be Light $20

Just got off the phone with Alison Draper, the publisher of Quick, and she tells me the DMN this morning announced that her youth-aimed paper is going weekly. You know why I always loved Alison? (Used to work with her at the Dallas Observer.) Because she has no problem lying to my face and telling me it’s for my own good, which is why I bet Tim a few weeks ago the paper was going to continue being published five days a week. Gotta love that in a publisher. Now I owe Tim $20, which just absolutely kills me. Trust me, I’m going to get Draper to give me that $20 in beer money at some point.

Dining

Dining

Comments

36 responses to “Quick Going Weekly, Celeste to Be Light $20”

1. DallasWill says:

Not that quick is any champion of journalism… but I will miss the daily… it was one of the only things that worked for an archaic paper…

This is me speaking as a target demographic who got roped in.

2. Tim says:

Rumors of more changes happening at the DMN this week as well. Tim R., you might want to email your mole.

3. Amy A says:

Awww, I really liked my daily Quick fix. It was fun and easy to carry in my purse.

4. Kevin says:

Will the name change? What’s not quite Quick? Ovaltine?

5. JHS says:

QUICK accomplished it mission of destroying the other “A.M. Journal Express” from 4 years ago. Now QUICK can disappear into the sunset/sunrise. I guess the one plus side is the DART rail might be a tab more newsprint free of debris!

Now if we could be a few more free WiFi Hot Spots at the DART stations so I can have my iTouch interface with WSJ.com and USATODAY.com

6. Tim Rogers says:

Adam asked me how much of today I would spend saying, “I told you so.” Let’s find out …

7. Neil says:

There was (is?) a simple way to improve Quick’s circulation:

Page 3 girls.

Or, at the very least, front pages like the one shown in this blog post regarding Obama’s trip to Germany (NSFW):

8. Eric Celeste says:

Rumor wins again. This will embolden Tim to post every blind e-mail he receives. So, get to sending ’em, folks.

9. Tim Rogers says:

I’m trying to decide what I’ll eat for lunch today. Oh, I know. I’ll have the Told You So sandwich.

10. brian says:

what will happen to Gordon Keith’s column?

11. Towski says:

@brian-

they’ll put it on TV, where it will become even more akward and self-important.

12. poke27 says:

It should be good for quick. I’ll miss my daily lunch read though. They have had a few really good events though as of late. The times, they are a changin..

13. Towski says:

More importantly, what will happen to Hot Potato Salad?

14. poke27 says:

leah shafer’s article on thursdays are always super funny as well.

15. Ldub says:

totally agree, poke27. I’ve been to quite a few of the events this year and i hope they don’t slow those down.

Oh and I swear Shafer is reading my mind when she writes her articles.

16. amanda says:

I hear the I TOLD YOU SO tacos are better…

What kind of sides do you get with the I Told You So sandwich?

18. publicnewsense says:

Re: Quick — How can anyone miss something that really isn’t there?

19. amanda says:

It comes with criticism of the press club, and for $1 more you can throw the new board candidates under the bus.

20. amandacobra says:

Uh oh! Looks like someone left the open bar at the Quick’s Big Thing awards open a little too long.

Open bar? Where?

22. poke27 says:

Quick’s big thing? sure, but i was referring to the more recent events like the SATC thing at LFT, the cool down event with absolut and diesel, the Ed Hardy thing, the palomar, Just seems all the good summer events have been thrown by Quick, which has been refreshing to not have to see envy everywhere and who wants to go to mod lux’s events. just looked at the website though, pretty horrible. hopefully that will change with the paper.

23. Julie says:

I read Quick every day, and I’m bummed. What am I supposed to do, read the boring-ass Morning News? Quick has (or had) all the news I wanted, plus personality.

24. publicnewsense says:

If Quick had all the news you wanted AND personality, perhaps you need to reassess the shallowness of your existence. Be sure to register to vote.

25. Jason says:

Will a once-a-week Quick be the new Met?

26. amandacobra says:

Note to DMN and Belo: try to be less “boring ass” next time.

27. billh says:

Leah is both funny and thoughtful. I always enjoy those columns.

28. Mr. Funny Guy says:

Jason- I thought D Magazine was the new Met, only without the roller skates.

29. Tiny B says:

You’ll never see that money again.

30. Gordon Keith says:

I farmed out column-writing to LEP interns moons ago. Hard to imagine, but righting has never been my strong soot.

Look for my next media adventure- blog comment leaving.

31. hipperthanthou says:

D Magazine is the equivalent of the aging boomer who wears a small, tight ponytail and tries very hard to come off as a bored and cynical Xer and so very hipper than thou.

32. P.J. Johnson says:

Quick has done what few other newspapers do: It brought young readers to a newspaper. I moved from Dallas years ago and still read Quick online. Self-indulging blogs will never replace the news that you can hold in your hand – or even online – that’s provided by an unbiased source.

Though unlikely, I hope the Morning News reverses its narrow-minded decision and instead funnels more resources into the product.

In the meantime, thank you to the Quick staffers who have given us creative, fun content. Find a newspaper who still cares about its readers.

33. monogodo says:

Great, now how am I supposed to kill 15 minutes of every day?

34. Abraham Melton says: