Martina Moravcova Heads for Her Fifth Olympics

I’m just now starting to get my five rings on. Till now the only thing I’d paid attention to was the horrible smog in Beijing. But the husband of the woman you see here sent me a heads-up that has me looking forward to some natatorial action. The greatness that is Martina Moravcova will be competing this year in her fifth — fifth — Olympics. I met Moravcova in the spring of 2004, as she was gearing up for what she thought at the time would be her last Games. I’ll always remember the dollop of mayonnaise I wiped from her Slovakian chin. Since then, she was inducted into SMU’s Athletics Hall of Fame (its only female member). She and hubby Martin still live in Dallas. I’ll be pulling for them both. (photo by James Bland)

Comments

6 responses to “Martina Moravcova Heads for Her Fifth Olympics”

That not smog. That fog. That nommal this time of year.

2. Pony up says:

At the Hall of Fame induction, she was incredibly humble, extremely charming and very inspirational. In formal attire, she looks like a runway model.

3. MIssing Dots says:

was it really mayo?

4. kerry larsen says:

This is almost as good as free pizza. Check it out– http://www.mypulcinella.com/dallas

5. Roscoe Purvis Coltrane says:

Sara Nordenstam (’06) – Swimming, Norway
    Flavia Rigamonti (’06) – Swimming, Switzerland
    Michael Robertson (attended 2003-04) – Track and Field, USA
    Angela San Juan Cisneros (’08) – Swimming, Spain
    Denisa Smolenova, first-year (incoming) – Swimming, Slovakia
    Aleksander Tammert (’06) – Track and Field, Estonia

Probably won’t hear anything about it on the news since NBC does such a bad job with the Olympics and all the other networks ignore it all together.