Looks Like More Good News For Downtown Dallas and Hobos

Steam Train Maury, king of the hobos, passed away near Toledo, Ohio, in 2006.Downtown Dallas backers are predicting that in the next 30 to 60 days, Savannah College of Art and Design will announce a location in downtown Dallas’ West End. The notion of hundreds of students living downtown has set wonks, developers and hobos atwitter. This would be the fourth physical site for the college, which has campuses in Atlanta, Lacoste (France), and, of course, Savannah. The college also claims to have a campus somewhere on the Internet, but I suspect it wouldn’t be nearly as fun to haze freshmen there and the bonfires would probably be a letdown. The hobo on display in this posting is the late Steam Train Maury, who would have loved to hang out with a bunch of artsy kids at Sonny Bryan’s. Hobo imposters have declined to comment on this development.

Comments

15 responses to “Looks Like More Good News For Downtown Dallas and Hobos”

1. Brian says:

if it brings one tenth of the vitality it has done for downtown Savannah, it will be a joy for the whole city. Nothing cooler than SCAD.

2. Omar says:

Sockhole Willie, Neckbone and Lollipop are crapping their pants over this exciting news!

Like they hadn’t done that already as the natural course of things this morning.

4. CDD says:

SCAD! I would love to take some classes there. Something along the lines of “I still can’t convincingly Photoshop a howler monkey’s head onto my mother-in-law’s torso.” These are the kinds of skills I’m looking to hone.

5. S.E. says:

CDD – Send me the photos and I’ll see what I can do for you. I used to photoshop my manager’s head to a Barbie doll body, so I have some experience. 😉

6. Gina says:

SCAD rocks! That is so cool. I’ve worked with so many talented SCAD folks. And as a new DT Dallas homeowner – big, fat yeah. We need more life down there.

7. Jack Jett says:

This is really awesome for Dallas. Great school with some incredible video artists.

And Hobo’s Atwitter is a great name for a band.

I agree Jack. Let’s start that band. Can I be tambourine girl?

9. J.B. C. says:

I am excited to take night classes.. think about all the artists lectures they will have.

10. Chris says:

I think I read that Coors-Miller was moving to DFW also… yep, I read it here at frontburner…

11. Ramsey says:

Sweetness! As a alumni of SCAD I’m glad to see the school growing so well. Hell, I’ll even go back and get my masters. Underwater Basket Weaving here I come!

12. Daft says:

I don’t get the whole hobo thing of this post.

13. TD says:

This is good news. I’m a graduate of SCAD and I’m hoping an influx of art students might bring some life back to Deep Ellum

14. Mike says:

I will not complain about an art and design school going into downtown. However, I think we should all be a little more skeptical. Is it really a good idea for budding artists, designers and filmmakers to go to a school that costs probably at least $20k/yr? Think of the loan repayments. I’m all for free markets and personal responsibility, but people aren’t rational consumers when it comes to colleges. I don’t know much about the Art Institute of Dallas, but I know plenty of people of culinary students who have thrived at El Centro at 1/10th or less of the price for what they were convinced was a better program. These for-profit educational institutes often have much less effective quality-control programs than the community colleges. But, again, because people assume benevolence on the part of educational institutions, they sign up to better themselves.

15. Roscoe Purvis Coltrane says: