Local Church Buys Hellboy Ad Time

I’d like to share a text I got from Eric, who is enjoying his last day of vacation. It reads:

Just saw commercial advertisement for Park Cities Baptist before Hellboy II. Incongruous much?

I don’t know. Seems like Park Cities hit its target. I’ve been trying for years to get Eric to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour. Maybe sitting in that dark theater at NorthPark, the message is finally getting through.

Comments

10 responses to “Local Church Buys Hellboy Ad Time”

1. the cynic says:

Remind Eric that Jesus didn’t spend a lot of time in churches. He went to the seaside and markets where the fishermen and reprobates hung out. Makes perfect sense that PCB would advertise in a dark theater before Hellboy2. Fish where the fish are.

2. Backer says:

You’re right, but you’re wrong Cynic. Jesus ‘fished’ among the people, but He also went to Synagogue “as was His custom”. Refer to Jesus at age 12 having a good ole time with the religious leaders.

3. Tim W. says:

Actually, I think there is something to the theme of Hellboy and Hellboy II that churches have grasped as closer to The Message than the name of the movies would indicate. I haven’t seen either of them, yet, but our church was screening the first one just last week.

4. ms says:

Of course there are similarities: in both cases you’re absorbed in a fantasy world. Fortunately Hellboy is over in 2 hours, while a lot of you are still sitting in the Jebus theater, being sold on $4 sodas and never understanding that the lights mean wake up.

5. Jesus says:

ms – I need to see you in my office immediately.

And bring your id card and the keys to the building.

6. Larry Cooper, Sr says:

Have fun burning in hell for eternity, ms. Jesus is not to be mocked.

7. Oh know!!!! I am going hell! Oh fuck, what shall I ever do? I’ll vote for mcaain! Maybe I can go to heaven when w3 k1ll all the ev1l d03ers!!!

8. Debi says:

MS, Stephen Crowley–sorry those of us who represent Jesus often fail to show Him as He is. I hope you will separate some of our judgmental comments from Him. He did not come to condemn the world but to save the world (John 3:17)

9. Larry Cooper, Sr says:

Although Christ did come to laugh at those fools who actually think Barack Hussein Osama’s socialism is what this country needs.

10. McCorky says:

I can’t figure out whether this post is ironic.