Leading Off (7/16/08)

1. Thomas Hickman, a Red Lobster executive from North Richland Hills, committed suicide and tried to stage it to look as if he were murdered. He tied helium balloons to a gun, figuring it would float away and not be discovered after he shot himself. Kinda brilliant except —

2. Michael Young drove home the winning run with a sacrifice fly in the 15th inning of the All-Star Game, which ended around 12:30 this morning. I finally turned off the TV and went night-night at about 12:10. Oops.

3. First Rolando Blackman let one of his condos at the W go into foreclosure. Now our own Candy Evans reports that he no-showed for a closing on Bella Nora, the historic White Rock home on which he’d put a contract. Ro, say it ain’t so.

Comments

8 responses to “Leading Off (7/16/08)”

1. GuiltyBystander says:

Four Rangers (two starters), one in the HR contest (who wound up setting a record for dingers) and a game-winning hero … naw, Dallas’ only daily decided it wasn’t worth the money to send beat writer Evan Grant to NY.
    Also, the game story had Michael Young performing a magic trick. It described his 11th inning single (that should have won game if not for a missed umpiring call) but it had “Young” being tagged out at the plate.

2. Rawlins Mole Removal says:

It’s a shame when the All-Star game lasts longer than breast augmentation surgery.

3. WGC says:

It’s worse, in a way, that channel 4 — a Fox affiliate for crying out loud — did not send Mike Doocey to cover the game. I mean, Hamilton’s a huge story with an obvious local tie-in. Channel 4 should have been there to follow him and his teammates precisely because a local sports guy could have brought us something so much better than anything out of the mouths of Chris Berman, Joe Buck or, heaven help us, Tim McCarver.

4. El Rey says:

Michael Young’s sacrifice fly in the 15th was a thing of beauty and talent. I almost brought my M.Y. bobblehead to work with me today.

5. Spamboy says:

Guess Ro’s not going to get back his good-faith deposit?

And who the F closes on a property in the middle of the month?

6. El Rey says:

Is #1 for real? I skimmed it the first time and I didn’t recognize the name. When I reread it, I realized it was the method that was noteworthy and not the ‘who’. Wow. That is some kind of crazy.

7. j.d.w... says:

In case you missed this one: Coppell police investigate possible cougar sightings. I think they love that recycling that headline…

8. CopyCat says:

I worked with Tom occasionally when I waited tables at RL through college. He was a genuinely nice person. So shocking, so sad.