Leading Off (07/21/08)

1. Afternoon radio jock Russ Martin was arrested Friday morning in Southlake on an aggravated assault charge. Why? Tough to say, since the Southlake po-po aren’t talking and neither is Martin. At least Martin doesn’t rock the mullet-and-mustache look anymore; his mugshot would have been much more embarrassing.

2. Rudy Sandoval, the Pizza Patron employee who thwarted the attempted robbery by his co-worker’s father, had the Best Week Ever.

3. Mavericks notes: Dirk Nowitzki scored 32 points to help Germany land the final Olympic berth. Also, Marc Stein floats a rumor that the Mavs might be assembling a Josh Howard-based deal that would bring back Atlanta’s Josh Smith. Or he at least floats the idea that they should.

Comments

48 responses to “Leading Off (07/21/08)”

1. Spamboy says:

His mugshot looks like my student ID.

2. mka says:

Apparently he isn’t taking it too seriously- his myspace profile picture is his mug shot.

3. Not Me says:

Shouldn’t Russ Martin have been busted several years ago for impersonating someone with talent?

4. Lauren says:

That’s what Russ gets for spoiling the end of Dark Knight for his audience.

5. amanda says:

#1- Is the orange stripe ensemble part of his jail uniform, or is this part of his “activewear” collection?

6. DA says:

The po-po aren’t talking? Is there no one left in the DFW media who knows how to obtain a simple (and very public) police report or file an FOI request? Everyone just shrugs their shoulders and tells their editors, “Gosh, the mean ol’ police wouldn’t tell me anything.” Give me a break! That sure didn’t fly with my editors back in the day.

7. carlos says:

DA, puh-leeze! Don’t be so mid-century, Edgar Rice Murrows! As long as we get as many blog entries denouncing Russ as we do of those supporting him, what he was arrested for is irrelevant, not to mention being a little bit rude, IMHO.

8. houston says:

Dirk scores 32 points for Germany. Well, maybe Cuban should start having him drink SauerKraut Juice instead of GatorAid while playing. them maybe he will score for this side of the world.

9. dallasnewsgirl says:

Dear DA,

Here’s how the FOI would work:

1. Submit request
    2. Po-po sits on it for 10 working days
    3. Then they send it to the attorney general asking for ruling on whether they have to release it, citing information that is critical to their investigation that should remain confidential
    4. AG agrees and it is not released, or
    5. AG says to release it, and we get it so long after our request that it isn’t newsworthy anymore.

Technically, the law was changed to say “within a reasonable amount of time” or something similar. In other words, if all it would take is hitting CTRL + P, walking over to a printer, and grabbing the finished product, then that’s the reasonable amount of time it would take to fill that FOIA request. There’s no 10 day rule.

If they have a question that hasn’t already been answered by the AG before, they’d have to send it off pretty darn quick.

11. Bill says:

So what tool on his BatBelt did Russ Martin use? Maybe the Bat-a-rang? The Bat-bola? The Goo-Gun?

12. Tobie B says:

where’s the Smoking Gun when you need them?

Still love ya Russ!

13. Thumbelina Low says:

I must be missing something here. This radio jock beats his wife and you guys think it is cool and funny? If he would have killed her, would you find that hysterical?
    Isn’t this taking the good ole boy syndrome a bit too far. It is interesting on this blog who is innocent until proven guilty and who is guilty right off the bat. If the journalist at D Magazine don’t know how to obtain a police report that is public record, then someone must be covering up for their pal. Either that or they have never dealt with the Po-Po before.

Um, where do you get that, Thumbelina?

None of the stories currently reported mention that.

15. Eric Celeste says:

Quick primer, folks:

This is a blog. Blogs opine, they comment on the news, link to fun/relevant/superficial/important/inane items, and sometimes post pictures from Tim’s son’s swim meet.

Our day job is to put out a monthly magazine. We pull police reports for the stories that we work on that require them. In fact, I have a lawsuit sitting in front of me about one such story we recently published. We pulled a lot of police reports for that. Because we wrote about it. In the magazine. Which is our job.

Some blogs may see their mission as something similar to that of a daily newspaper, chasing all relevant news, and committing resources to do that. We, however, are, as it says in the top right-hand corner of your screen, “a daily conversation about Dallas among the editors of D Magazine.”

You may continue.

Not to mention, if you’re that curious, you do not need to be a member of the media to ask for a police report.

Go find out yourself.

17. Lauren says:

Snap!

18. IhateLauren says:

Don’t bring your Snap to this argument.

It’s sad when being on anonymous online now means you can post your witty retorts.

Kachow.

I’m still at lunch btw.

19. Matt R says:

Russ isn’t married. He has a girlfriend that an Observer blog made reference to being the victim, but no other media has made mention of that. Everything I’ve read from various sources(Radio-Info.com forums) has said the assault took place out in public as well as his subsequent arrest. But you can’t trust anything on the interwebs so no one will know what happened until we get official statements. Even if you don’t like Russ or his show, do him the decency of considering him innocent until proven guilty.

20. Thumbelina Low says:

Then the police must have arrested him for being so talented. My bad. However, could your responses be any more defensive?

21. Trey Garrison says:

Thumbelina Low, could your posts contain any more baseless assumptions and presumptions?

22. Thumbelina Low says:

Trey
    That is a big question coming from you. Isn’t that what you have based your career on? Now bnap, round the world, double snap.
    Now move right along and Mz Low will refrain from suggesting anything negative about Russ Martin.

Thumbelina,

We’re not saying that negative things can’t be said about Russ Martin. We’re just saying there should, you know, be some proof.

I don’t know the guy. But as a journalist, I’m a little surprised that the Observer posted an unsubstantiated rumor on the fly like that. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that while the Star Telegram, TDMN, et al probably had access to the same “insider” rumor, they opted not to print it because there was no proof.

24. Trey Garrison says:

“Isn’t that what you have based your career on?”

Feh. You left out character assassination, scurrilous innuendo, prejudiced generalities, and substance abuse.

25. Thumbelina Low says:

Or it could be related to this last bit from the DMN? Now don’t freak out Bethany. I’m am saying that some idiots out there, not me, might think the refusal of the police to comment could have something to do with this.
    Not me though. I love Russ Martin and he has the right to harm whoever he wants.

He runs the Russ Martin Show Listeners’ Foundation, which aids the families of police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty, according to the show’s Web site

26. Trey Garrison says:

Oh, brother.

Or it could just be that they’re still trying to sort this stuff out. If this is indeed a domestic dispute, there is always the possibility that the person pressing the charges will drop them – it happens more frequently than I care to think about.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong. I’m just saying that the rationale behind the TDMN, Star Telegram and virtually every other news organization in the area reporting it identically is not as nefarious as you think.

28. Tobie B says:

Bethany! You slay me.

Thanks for my vocab builder of the day!

Nefarious…I’ll have to work it into my vocab as one of my seventy-five cent words..

29. Thumbelina Low says:

The charge against Mr. Martin is “aggravated assault with bodily injuries with a deadly weapon”. Are you saying that if the victim drops the charges (i.e. payoff) then no crime was ever committed?
    Far be if from me or anyone to suggest that the press might be “nefarious”.

30. Trey Garrison says:

Good lord.

31. Thumbelina Low says:

Trey
    Our Lord Jesus Christ had nothing to do with this. He doesn’t condone violence and he loves you.

I’m saying, Thumbelina, that if the victim drops the charges, the police involvement in the matter is over, until the victim calls again (which is usually what happens in the case of domestic violence calls).

Being obtuse is not a good debate tactic.

33. Matt R says:

New details from WFAA. Thumbelina might have been right about the domestic violence but that doesn’t mean she had the right to condone Russ Martin before she had all the details.
    Since you appear to be religious do you not recall “He who is without sin, cast the first stone?”

34. Matt R says:

condemn, not condone

The thing is, as a reporter, come deadline, you’re kind of in a pickle when it comes to things like this.

Sure, you may have a source that tells you, “Russ Martin pulled a gun on his girlfriend and got arrested.” You may even have the sketchiest deets from a police incident report, or the bare bones paperwork from when he bonded out.

But the only things you can go on are what you can confirm. Unless that source was there and saw it, it’s not really a source. Knowing most newspapers’ stance on unnamed sources, it’s also a last resort, and usually used if you can find other paperwork to corroborate what that source is saying.

And that’s generally saved for a big investigative piece, not a 2nd degree felony that may or may not stick, and that a good half dozen hundred other people are sitting in Lew Sterrett for right now.

IMO, Richie Whitt didn’t do any of his fellow reporters any favors by throwing up what was at that time a rumor and then leaving town. Sure, it’s a blog. But a journalist is a journalist, and the same litmus of sourcing should apply when it comes to things that could get you in a libel suit.

36. Puddin'Tane says:

If we’re talking about Martin then the victim was probably a stripper from The Clubhouse….

Oh, but if she’s a stripper then she’s not a victim. My bad.

37. Gene says:

According to the stories, Martin “was served with an arrest warrant for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury.”

Can these words mean something other than pistol whipping? For example, if I show you my gun and then punch you with my fist, am I also committing “aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury”, or is it “with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury” only if I cause the bodily injury with the gun, not just with my hand?

38. Hillbilly Beau Monde says:

Man, I was hoping it was some kind of death-match between Russ Martin and Larry North, but no such luck. Could it have been Martin’s stripper du jour?

Y’all are killin’ me…

39. IhateLauren says:

Oh Oh Snap Snap

40. Lauren says:

I was listening to his show on Friday and i’m pretty sure he mentioned something about calling off his engagement. He wouldn’t go into details but he said there was a 50/50 chance that he wasn’t going to marry her.

The wfaa article mentioned russ had no history of domestic disturbance at home, so i’m assuming the complainant is his fiance and not a stripper. Does Southlake even have strip clubs?

41. IhateLauren says:

Lauren probably did it, she called the popo. Hopefully Judge Coffee will take care of business

42. Puddin'Tane says:

Who says Martin’s fiance isn’t also a stripper?

43. Jack Jett says:

I only listen to Sirius in the car and then it is usually Stern. Did Russ Martin at one time have a partner that he did radio with?

Regardless, Mr. Martin should hire Bethany
    Cochran to represent him because she has the ability to determine fact from fiction.
    If the gun doesn’t blow, then let Russ Martin go. Don’t these things usually just add to the ratings and help get them a raise.
    I don’t remember Russ Martin being so buff. He must be working out a lot.

44. mka says:

Friday was a best of- so I doubt he was calling off his wedding on air that day. Also, it could be any number of people in his home, his fiance isn’t the only person.. He isn’t taking it too seriously by any means.

I never said he never did or didn’t do it. I merely explained why the majority of the local news outlets reported it one way versus another.

As someone who has sat on a board of a family violence organization and someone who has had to cover an awful lot of the more tragic outcomes, I’d hardly be OK with someone committing violence against a family member.

46. Thumbelina Low says:

Bethany
    This is from the police report.

Martin grabbed his 27-year-old fiancé “by the hair and threw her around a room in the house,” according to the affidavit It also says Martin pulled out “chunks of hair” from his fiancé’s head.

He then kicked her full force in the thigh leaving a bruise on the woman’s thigh, it says. The affidavit says Martin then pulled out a pistol from behind his back and “intimidated” the woman with the gun.
    ————
    Sounds a bit like an early O.J. Simpson.
    Now, I know it is not true. It couldn’t be.
    It’s RUSS MARTIN for God’s sake. Quick Bethany find some large words that would defend this action. The police report they found bruises and missing hair on his girlfriends head. She must have done it herself because RUSS MARTIN never would.
    ——————
    I pray for his soul and her health. May God Bless them and keep them safe. May Bethany Cochran find a way to blame it on the girlfriend.

Pookiepants,
    At the time of our initial conversation, there was no concrete information as to what happened.

As I said before, I would never condone domestic violence. Why don’t you scroll up and read what I posted previously? I never once defended Mr. Martin. I defended the coverage of the event.

48. Spamboy says:

(yawn-stretch) Sorry, I’ve been sleeping all day — have they convicted and executed Russ Martin yet? No? What kind of Texas is this!?