How To Derail The DISD: Get Rid Of Jack Lowe

The Dallas public schools are making huge progress, with nearly 40% of its schools recently named exemplary or recognized. But some people don’t like the price of progress, especially when it threatens their cherished patronage programs. For the first time in decades, the DISD has a superintendent (in Michael Hinojosa) and a board (led by Jack Lowe) who are committed to a radical program of improvement. Here’s how it could all go wrong.

Comments

30 responses to “How To Derail The DISD: Get Rid Of Jack Lowe”

1. Hinojosa Fan says:

Hinojosa parks the closest of anyone to the back door. What does that say?

2. jack says:

Have you been reading about how TEA rates schools. Of course not because that doesn’t fit your agenda. Even the DMN reported how the TEA gives exemplary or recognized ratings to schools that aren’t deserving . I don’t see you writing about that what a tool.

Question mark after schools. Comma after not. About between reported and how. Eliminate the extra space between deserving and the period. Period after that. Capital W on what.

When insulting someone on an education post, it’s always wise to make sure you’re appearing to be educated, yes?

4. AS says:

Bethany I owe you a drink.

5. amanda says:

Jack, what are you expecting?

So, you think D should publish an in depth report on an issue the DMN already covered? That’s not “news” or “entertainment,” and not something I would expect to see in D.

What I do expect from D are new fresh perspectives, such as the article linked above. Sure, here are lots of things “wrong” with the DISD historically, BUT… I applaud a look at something they are getting “right.” There are thousands of parents who see the progress, and are encouraged by it.

6. DallasWill says:

And I owe you two!

I really don’t know what came over me. I see stuff, and I have to copy edit it.

8. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent and TOD says:

Jack, “Even the DMN reported……” As if they are without bias and should be our trusted source for news.

The asterisks belong on Carroll and HP elementary schools where:
    1) only one population group is present/counted and
    2) science is not tested in elementary school because of the grade configuration (K-4 vs. K-5.)

Fewer Tests and in Fewer Sub-Groups = Higher Ratings

I maintain that the ratings system has penalized diverse schools not because the students aren’t up to the test but because the results are sub-divided into so many more groups. Then the entire school’s rating has been based on its lowest performing sub-group.

I recently learned, the exceptions issue means that there would have been 5 fewer recognized schools in Dallas had last year’s criteria been used – 95 vs. 100. Explaining the rankings was needed but focusing on Dallas ISD few exceptions was standard fare for DMN.

It wasn’t until Pearce H.S. lost its Recognized rating a few years ago that a DMN reporter, whose children attended Pearce, took the time to finally explain the system in the newspaper – almost 20 years after the system’s inception. In the meantime we’ve lost many families to private schools and the suburbs because of a system that essentially rewarded segregation.

Visiting Adamson, an unacceptable school, changed reporter Gary Jacobson’s opinion in favor of the district. It was the only education piece by DMN, in my memory, where I learned some things myself. If reporters visiting an unacceptable school came away with a positive opinion, what would they think after visiting one of our 100 (or 95) recognized and exemplary schools?

As long as reporters stay camped out in the Central Services records department, we’ll never know.

9. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

dang. sorry about that TOD typo again.

10. diahh says:

Having been a student at DISD and knowing people who have worked for the district, i can say without doubt there is no way in h*ll i’d allow a kid of mine to attend school here. I was having a conversation with a DISD employee about five years ago and mentioned that there didn’t appear to be many caucasian kids at any of the schools that i see, she got a big smile on her face and said “no, there aren’t”. She seemed pretty happy about that fact, just a disgusting human being with a disgusting attitude.

11. Wick Allison says:

Diahh, “… about five years ago” I thought George Bush was a pretty good president. IJS.

12. LakeWWWooder says:

diahh,

Around here private school kids are begging their parents to let them go to public school. When the parents relent, they find they’ve been wasting money.

13. AS says:

Court oversight was removed because the demographics of our city changed with formerly “young professional” apartment complexes turning into family factories. Kids in areas of northeast Dallas (where few kids had lived pre-early 1980’s) had to travel miles to get to the nearest school, wasn’t this exactly what had caused court oversight in the first place?

And it wasn’t just happening in northeast Dallas, but far north and west Dallas too, where older schools were literally bursting at the seams. Which explains why the first bond had to address these overpopulated schools that were failing too many students. With a white student population of about 5%, it’s hard to argue that these improvements were for the benefit of “white” Dallas.

14. diahh says:

@ Wick

Fair enough. I may be putting too much weight on past experiences, but it’s hard not to given the troubles the district has had over the past fifteen years or so.

@ LakeWWWooder

Private school kids wanted to go to public schools back when i was a student too. Not because they thought the schools were better, but because they thought they would have it easier in public schools and have more fun.

15. Tim Rogers says:

@ diahh: My son attends a Dallas ISD school (go, Hexter Hawks!). Our experience there has been wonderful. Just as I shouldn’t extrapolate from that experience and mistakenly think every school in the district is wonderful, so you ought not to extrapolate from your (apparently bad) experience (and, as Wick pointed out, your five-year-old conversation).

16. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

diahh, So far, you’re just making a broad generalization based on a shallow analysis of anecdotal data. So here’s one datapoint from just one of the 20 plus Dallas ISD high schools. It’s the matriculation list for recent graduates of W. T. White:

I can also provide a list for Hillcrest and TJ. And, I’ll bet LakeWWWooder will chime in too. And then I also point to: http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gerald_casey00.html

17. diahh says:

@ Tim

I think there have been enough problems with the DISD that parents should think long and hard before sending their kids to any school under its authority and not take anything for granted.

@ Louisa

It’s not shallow to me. A school not only needs to perform well, it needs to be run by good people that you can trust not to corrupt your kid.

18. Amy S says:

Tim, your kid is in for a great experience. Hopefully Ms. Tesa G. (Hexter mom, or soon to be) will have a math team there like she did when she was a teacher at Kramer Elem. Phenominal program, know you’ll be blogging about those Saturdays spent waiting for your kids to finish taking MATH TESTS.

diahh – you cannot tell me that going through public education did not toughen you up more! You could let this one person drive you off, or you could shove it down her throat and help make the change. XOXO.

19. Amy S says:

BTW – blog novice here, what does IJS stand for – and TOD?

20. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

Amy, TOD means nothing. A few weeks ago, I was typing and hit enter too soon. The typo stayed there until I fixed it today. IJS=I’m just saying. I had to ask the same question myself awhile back.

21. Tim Rogers says:

@ Amy S: I am well-acquainted with the math competition. Indeed. Tesa has already “corrupted” my boy.

22. AS says:

Yes, I blame her entirely for my son’s 720 math score on his SAT. Bad girl!

23. diahh says:

@ Tim

Glad to see you’re happy with your school. You should enjoy it while you can because the spanish first policies of Hinojosa and Lowe will eventually catch up to your school and put it back in the failing category again regardless of boundaries and busing.

24. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

diahh, There you go again with a broad generalization based on a shallow analysis.

Here’s another datapoint about trends which is anything but grim: http://backtalkprestonhollow.typepad.com/back_talk_preston_hollow/2008/07/some-things-abo.html

I love what one of my favorite teachers said to a parent who expressed concern about the demographic changes at my beloved Nathan Adams Elementary, “How dare you imply that I can only teach one kind of child.” As for Nathan Adams, this year it posted perhaps its highest TAKS results in the school’s history and even higher than when the Anglo population was much larger.

25. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

Amy S and Tim, The only negatives about the math teams are 1) they’re limited to the few campuses with a teacher willing to devote a great deal of outside time and 2) when your team whips the elite private school’s b*tt, the privates often try to lure the teacher and the top kids to their school.

26. diahh says:

Is that right? So Tim pointing out that students who can’t speak english were the cause for his schools low test scores is fine, but my pointing out that those who currently run the DISD are perpetuating the problem is a “broad generalization based on a shallow analysis”? No, of course not. That’s just a condescending line you use to belittle those who don’t obsess on the DISD 24 hours a day and mindlessly cheerlead for it as you do.

“How dare you imply that I can only teach one kind of child.”

That type of politically correct pablum has become sop for DISD employees and its supporters and is only intended to divert peoples attention away from the fact that those currently running the DISD are putting the welfare of hispanics over all other students and turning the DISD into nothing more than a daycare for illegal immigrants. And yes, i know, that’s just a “broad generalization based on a shallow analysis”.

Here’s another datapoint about trends which is anything but grim:

In the late 90’s the DISD was a national joke, it doesn’t take much to be better than that.

27. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

and where did Tim say that?

28. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says:

Never mind. I just read your link to a 3 year old story. Add to that your reference to the ’90s and I give up.

29. diahh says:

Actually, i apologize for that obsession remark. I may not agree with you, but i shouldn’t criticize you for paying attention when most people don’t. And i give up too.

30. Louisa Meyer, Dallas ISD parent since 1993 says: