Dallas’ Ashley Douglas Comes Up Short At Nat’l Texting Championship

Ashley Douglas is a brand manager at The Richards Group. But she’s also a fierce texter. So fierce that she was the Dallas representative at the recent LG National Texting Championship. Spoiler alert: She did not win. After the jump, Ashley shares a bit of a recap of the trip to New York. And you can watch Mo Rocca’s video covering the event. (And, yes, I know I look a lot like Mo Rocca. I’m waiting for him to hit the big-time so I can be a Mo Rocca impersonator.) Enjoy.

—–

The championship was a lot of fun, well-organized, and a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. Of course I didn’t think I stood a chance. I was competing against mainly teenagers who are on summer break and have all day and night to practice. With a full-time job I found it very difficult to find time to do anything else but work.

As the Dallas Regional Champion I was awarded with a new LG enV2 and a free trip for two to New York (I brought a good friend of mine who had never been to the city before). That alone was a great prize, but on top of it I got to compete for $50,000! If I would have won, I was going to come back to Dallas and first throw a huge party. 🙂 Then, I was going to use the money to pay off student loans. As I said, I didn’t think I had a chance in hell at winning. In fact, I was interviewed by Fox and Friends before the competition and told them as much. They thought it was hilarious and thus cheered me on the whole time. However, I surprised everyone, even myself.

I didn’t think I was going to make it past the first round and I knew I would not beat the teenagers with my speed. (Have you seen how fast those 13-year-olds can text?!? I’ve never seen thumbs move so fast!!) I concentrated really hard on the first text and was shocked to find out that I won! Making it to the final round was the first time I actually thought I had a chance at $50K.

I was extremely nervous when the final text came upon the screen. I decided to take it phrase by phrase and not look ahead. Then, I heard the crowd moan and some people say, “Oh man! That sucks!” That’s when I knew I was done for. However, I plowed on through to the end and finished the text message in the nick of time. I was wrong by one letter!!! Can you believe that?!? I missed 50K by one letter!! I put Aba instead of Abc. Oh well. —Ashley Douglas

Comments

6 responses to “Dallas’ Ashley Douglas Comes Up Short At Nat’l Texting Championship”

1. brett says:

lmao…u dnt wn bt u gt clse…..

My head just exploded

2. Wes Mantooth says:

You look most like Mo Rocca when you’re in full seersucker garb and bow tie.

3. El Rey says:

If you feel you are so important that you do not even need to use correct grammar and spelling to communicate, you are an idiot.

I am not bashing the occasional lol or IJS. My anger is focused at the thumb-happy slobs that are busy texting and not paying attention to life around them.

The wise Ferris Bueller once said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

4. jrp says:

went to see Wall-E the other day and this 14-year-oldish young lass in the row in front of me and just to my right began texting two minutes into the movie

i asked her politely (believe it or not) to please stop as it’s distracting

8 seconds later it happened again and i took a more authoritative tone and said simply: “Please stop”

26 seconds later as she was hammering away again, my wife grabbed my arm before i could backhand the girl…just kidding

but i did say loud enough for her folks to notice but take no action “Stop texting during the movie…please”

she didn’t stop and simply put her phone in her oversized handbag and texted straight through the credits

yes, i shoulda told the usher, mgr., her lackadaisical parents, but i didn’t and it really took away from my enjoyment of the film, which is excellent BTW

although the claims from Dreher and Arbey about the movie representing some “Aristotelian view of humanity and politics” seem a bit overwrought, as it’s really just standard summer fare

5. AJ says:

jrp, you need to learn the art of spilling drinks and/or popcorn on idiot kids like this. “Oh sorry, I didn’t mean to…hope your RAZR phone (for $29) is ok!”

Text champion = loser. Especially if you’re over 18 years old. IJS. A-K 47…what?

6. djb says:

You guys are a bit harsh on this girl… Fact is texting is not going away. The bigger problem is a grown up worried about being “distracted” at a children’s movie and confronting a child due to it… be a grown up and read a book, douche nozzle.