Bible Courses for Texas High Schools Approved

Don’t see how this could possibly go wrong.

Critics contend that the board standards for the course are so vague and general that many schools might unknowingly create unconstitutional Bible classes that either promote the religious views of teachers or disparage the religious beliefs of some students.

Oh. That’s how.

Comments

17 responses to “Bible Courses for Texas High Schools Approved”

1. JaeTex says:

I think there’s a few typos in that quote.

I’m pretty sure that they meant “knowingly create unconstitutional Bible classes that both promote the religious views of teachers and disparage the religious beliefs of some students.”

At least that is what is going to happen and what (I suspect) the Board actually wants.

2. queuno says:

The best colleges will ignore said classes when considering admission, so I can’t see this having a large impact…

(Even the most prominent of the religious colleges in America don’t consider Bible courses in enrollment…)

3. Patrick says:

Actually queuno, part of this is a result of feedback they received from Texas Universities. They wanted kids to be more prepared on this subject when entering college. It has appeal in classes like English, Philosophy, Geography…

4. Don O'Treply says:

When do the unconstitutional Rigveda (Hindu) classes start? The Diamond Sutra (Buddhist)?

I could go on but there is a long list here:

The Christian Bible is one of HUNDREDS of “holy books”.

5. “The Christian Bible is one of HUNDREDS of “holy books”.”

And one of the least interesting, IMHO.

Can you imagine if the Vedas were dumbed down to the level of The New Testament?

6. J.B. C says:

The only reason the words “Church and State” are linked to the Constitution is from the Supreme Court. Nowhere in the constitution does it say there is a “separation between church and state”.. it came from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson. But I believe the government should not endorse any one religion over another.

I took a few classes in Undergrad about other religions including one on Islam and Hinduism. I found it educational and helped me understand other people and cultures. Plus as a designer exposed me to all sorts of great imagery.

Took one on “Christian Ethics”. I can remember an especially tense moment in the room talking about Columbine… people were yelling but it created great discussion from all religions.

I think they just need to monitor the curriculum see if it is asking hard questionst then make it an elective class… that way you sign up for it and you are not forced to take it.

Agree? Disagree?

We still have electives in High School right?

7. monkey god says:

If Jesus had the choice between bible theology and wood shop in his senior year, we all know what his choice would be.

8. Ed Cognoski says:

jaetex is right. The standards are vague expressly to allow local schools to teach religion in conformance to the deliberately vague standards. The argument that the people behind the state law were not interested in establishing religion in our schools is thus demonstrated to be a lie. There’s a commandment against lying isn’t there?

J.B. C is wrong. “Wall of separation between church and state” is Thomas Jefferson’s description of the First Amendment. The First Amendment is part of the Constitution, not some Supreme Court invention.

J.B. C also says “they just need to monitor the curriculum.” He does know, doesn’t he, that the SBOE wants the curriculum to err on the side of teaching religion? That’s why they left the standards vague.

9. J.B. C says:

monkey god that was a great line. Touché!

10. J.B. C says:

Ed,

You are right that Thomas Jefferson wrote the “separation of church and state” about the First Amendment. He wrote it in a letter to a Baptist church. Most of it which I stated in my comment – check it out its there.

But it was not used in any type of policy, law opinion, or as a force of change until almost 100 years later by the Supreme Court in a 1878 and then again in 1947.

It was the Supreme Court that brought that particular letter to light and made it a “force” in law making policy for the United States. Without the Supreme Court it is highly doubtful the sentence would even be used in such a way. That’s not to say that the idea of “Separation of Church and State” is wrong. But I am just telling you where it came from.

I was not commenting on the actual plan by the SBOE I was just talking about my own experiences.

I don’t care if people teach religion – they just have to be objective and make sure they aren’t teaching this as truth and that it is an open discussion involving all view points.

11. Larry Cooper, Sr says:

I am praying for Susan’s lost soul. If the New Testament is too “dumbed down” for you, may I suggest reading the Scripture in the original Greek? May Jesus have mercy on you, Susan, and whatever “non-dumbed down” god you worship.

12. monkey god says:

You guys are over thinking things. Just because something is written on a peace of paper doesn’t make it so. Ask the people who were slaves what the Bill of Rights ment to them. This country was built by greed. Ask the native americans how they got screwed over by the so called christian U.S. government.

13. J.B. C says:

Man… all that guilt and you didn’t even have anything to do with it.

I kid! I kid!

As my grandfather once said “you can’t change minds on politics and religion.. you can only hope to understand the other side. Grab me a beer kid.”

14. JNJ says:

Monkey God,

Jesus flunked out of Wood shop first, then got involved in the Religious movement!

Just ask Joseph

15. monkey god says:

JNJ
    Jesus would upset Joseph with one sentence. “You can’t tell me what to do because your not my real dad.”
    Susan Thorton
    Sad to see a life coach that would be-little the religion of others.

16. Harvey Lacey says:

Put me down for thinking teaching Christianity as truth to high school students is okay. Not because I have faith in Christianity, I don’t. I do have faith in teenagers though. They will cut to the chase and the teacher will be the one on the run, guaranteed.

17. Wick Allison says:

Susan Thornton and Don O’Trepley: It’s wonderful to find fellow Veda students on FrontBurner! However, to your point(s), the Bible is a classic of Western literature. Please forget religion for a moment. Think literature. Before students go on in college to learn English literature or history or Western culture, they should have a minimal grounding in the book that our writers and thinkers learned from/rebelled against. Eastern philosophy should be required for all liberal arts students in college, but that’s college. We simply cannot allow our sectarian divisions or the church/state argument to overrule the reality of how Western thought developed.