Baylor Almost as Good as Mid-Cities Commuter School

ESPN.com is ranking the top 50 college basketball programs of the modern era. They haven’t announced the rankings yet, but they have given us all the rest: the colleges that rank 51 to 300. The worst Big 12 school? Baylor, tied with Brown for No. 266. Ouch. Worse? It ranks behind UT-Arlington (go Mavs!), which ties six others at No. 260. Double ouch.

Update: My nemesis, Tom, points out that they have released Nos. 31-40, a list that features the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (T-town is hometown, whoop whoop!) at No. 39, and are releasing more each day. Refresh often.

Comments

21 responses to “Baylor Almost as Good as Mid-Cities Commuter School”

1. Tom says:

I hate to correct you again, but they are releasing the rankings daily: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3491747

2. Eric Celeste says:

Why you all in my chili this morning, Tom?

3. Tom says:

I dunno. I think we’re the only people reading FB today. A bill for my services is in the mail.

4. will says:

Mustangs? Mavericks? Whatevs.

5. Tom says:

Good catch, will.

6. Eric Celeste says:

I’m going home.

Poor Eric. Need a nap?

8. Jay says:

Eric, how much does a golden hurricane cost downtown?

Baylor class of ’88. Sic ’em.

9. jrp says:

so will Rock Chalk Jayhawk be No. 1 this time ’round, after last season’s championship? or will UCLA hang on? anybody but Duke would suit me fine

and look at Philly Big 5 schools Penn (34) and ‘Nova (31) cracking the top 40 with Temple yet to be ranked

10. Tom says:

As much as I’d like to see my alma mater, KU, be No. 1, I’m afraid that the top five will consist of (in no particular order) Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Georgetown and Syracuse. You have to factor in ESPN’s ACC and Big East bias, combined with the fact that those schools have played for and/or won quite a few titles since 1985. But since former Kansas players are coaching legends at UNC and Kentucky, we’ll take credit for them becoming the schools they are and continue to celebrate the 2008 title.

11. Left of Center says:

Just how does a school score “0 points or less”?

12. jrp says:

check out ESPN’s point system, the following result in negative points on the scale

– NCAA first-round loss to a 12-16 seed … -2
    – Losing season … -3
    – Ban from NCAA tournament … -3

whereas a championship is worth 25 points
    it’s the old 10-7-5-3-1 points scale, ya know

13. Tom says:

Even with the point system, I’m afraid that Duke will get its usual Yankee-style treatment by ESPN.com.

14. Don says:

While my BU program has been stru-gu-ling for some time, and most likely deserves the low ranking, many basketball peeps see this as a program on the rise.

In fact, ESPN has them at #19 for the 2008-2009 preseason Top 25 ahead of programs such as Michigan State and Xavier.

15. Don says:

Sorry. I am an idiot. The link above is for WOMEN’S basketball. I meant to post the link from rival’s which has them considered for the top 25.

My bad.

16. genius says:

Looks like Kansas is looking up to Baylor in the preseason rankings for next year. Also ESPN has ranked Baylor #31 as an overall Athletice program. That is 5th place in the Big 12.

Dont be jealous just because you got a state school education….

17. wyatt says:

UT still sucks.

18. I thought Waco was one of the mid-cities? It is between Austin and Dallas, you know, the place you stop on your way down to a UT home game for more beer or the place you stop to get more beer on your way up to Dallas for TX/OU weekend…

19. j.d.w... says:

One thing you’ll learn about us Baylor peeps – we’re “cup half full” people. We drink the kool-aid that is in said cup and go into every season believing we are just one step away from greatness – only to be quickly dissappointed. We then find some sort of moral victory we can cling to until recruiting begins for the next season. Then the cycle begins anew. Sic ’em!

Don’s so funny. Like chick’s play basketball.

21. Eric says:

Go Mavericks!

Hey, UT Arlington plays at Baylor this season, Saturday Dec. 20. Should be a fun game.