Comments

19 responses to “Angela Hunt Pops Steve Blow in the Mouth, With Words and Pictures”

1. MIssing Dots says:

I heard His Pen Is Huge.

At nearly 11 p.m. last night, after Angela called him out on it, he added a couple of quotes from her into the online edition of his column.

But the headline remained. “Angela Hunt Meddles…”

Did Salazar meddle when he went, or was it OK since his conclusions differed from Angela’s?

3. Chris says:

since when is it ok to print a story without contacting the primary person IN the story?

Shouldn’t his editor have said “hell no”?

Exactly, Chris.

And the attitude over at TDMN:

Completely condescending. I mean, do I think Angela Hunt can do no wrong? No. She has the fallibility chip just like the rest of us.

But Steve Blow knew contacting Angela Hunt prior to printing his column would ruin his wanna-be-snark-cum-buffoonery of a column, so he didn’t. Why ruin a perfectly good, uninformed rant with the truth?

5. Hoya says:

Since maybe as far back as 1987 the mission of The Dallas Morning News and its outsourced exurban columnists like Blow has been that of a placebo to journalism, or maybe a vaccine, its purpose to lock up and lock out as many otherwise journalistic binding sites as possible and thus to displace the possibility that any news gathering, reporting, or opinion leading organization might inveigle itself into the market and begin making trouble with too many questions and answers.

Who’s going to believe a slick monthly mag where them women don’t even wear bras or a weekly tabloid rag with naughty ads in the back while we still have Sunnyvale’s Andy Taylor to set us a-right? Not Opie and Aunt Bea, nosirree.

6. Tom says:

@Chris: Not only did Blow’s editor say “yes,” he wrote the blog post that Bethany linked to.

7. Wes Mantooth says:

It really is amazing that DMN circulation is sinking with such must-reads as Blow and Jacquielynn Floyyd.

8. Jenny The Elephant says:

Why can’t we all just get along?

Damn, just send me to Whoville. You humans are making me sick.

9. East Dallas Eccentric says:

Why didn’t Steve Blow go snorkeling at The Great Barrier Reef instead of Steve Irwin?

10. Hoya says:

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Magic Kingdom of TDMN opinion leaders they’re now excitedly discussing using rain barrels to solve Dallas’s water shortage problems. The forecast does say it might rain come August.

Itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout…

Admit it, it would be funny to see Steve Blow accidentally ingest a super-large dose of psychedelics. And as long as there is some chance, however small, of that happening, his existence brings you a tidy measure of joy.

12. Bill Marvel says:

Folks — especially journalist folks — love to pick at Steve Blow. Obsessively, like some kind of scab or pimple. What’s that all about? If he were as negligible as everyone keeps insisting, how is it that all the nay-sayers keep reading and riding him?
    Could it be a kind of reverse snobbery? I’m the first to admit his aw-shucks just country-boy me tone can be wearying. But, by God, he connects with a whole bunch of readers in a way that most journalists can only pray for. He has the art of saying what a lot of folks — not necessarily journalists — have on their mind, and, as a bonues, every so often they and Blow are dead right.
    By the way, for those on this blog that do not understand: There’s a difference between a column and a news story, and while columns sometimes entail original reporting — and Steve quite often does some really noteworthy original reporting — columns can also be spun out of a news item, no further reporting necessary. Opinion columns are not discussions or tit-for-tat, and it’s really hard to imagine what a call to Hunt would have added to this one.

13. Bill Marvel says:

I note, by the way, that a common phrase that I used that had nothing to do with naughty body parts got asterisked. This is what happens when you turn editing over to a robot.

14. Grumpy Demo says:

Steve’s mad because Hunt engaged in a factual investigation, you know something that journalist are suppose to do if they were professional or don’t work for Belo.

Another day, another DMN story or column that was nothing more than a rewrite of a City staff’s press release.

I learn more about Dallas in five minutes reading D and the Observer than a month of the DMN.

15. dazzling urbanite says:

OK Bill, we’ve always liked you.

But the perspective from the Sunnyvale Savannah can be tiring.

16. Chris:

It’s Mr. Blow’s M.O. When he did his rant on me (which, incidentally, I enjoyed enormously), he couldn’t even be bothered to send me an e-mail [my e-mail address appears at the bottom of all of my columns], which I found surprising and disappointing in the extreme (disappointing, of course, because it deprived me of the opportunity to trifle with and condescend to him).

Can I just say that when I scroll really fast down the page, all I see is “Blow in Mouth?”

18. I am a little confused by the “Blow Bashing”? From what I read the column was attempting to point out that dealing with Jenny is not in Angela’s job description. I am not a Steve Blow fan but, I do find it a little concerning that Angela is taking on issues that are not in her district when there are many issues that do need her attention.

That being said, I am in favor of sending Jenny to the best institute possible. I think Steve is using his column to suggest that Angela make this responsibility of other council members. (Even if the column is written with a childish, “I am going to tell mommy on you” attitude.

19. LM says:

This is one story that trancends liberal vs. democrats, carnivore vs. vegan, Greenpeace vs. NRA. Blow blew it.

Wait…Maybe it’s all a ploy! Maybe it’s a “there’s no such thing as bad publicity” stunt. Wouldn’t put it past the DMN, they’re desperate.