Will Woodrow’s Own Anthony Randolph Be a Bust?

Randolph, an NBA prospect out of LSU, is almost assured of being picked somewhere in the first round of tomorrow’s draft. And, according to ESPN.com stats guru John Hollinger, he has the biggest potential to be an NBA flame-out of anyone in this year’s potential draft pool. Here, Hollinger writes:

Seen in many quarters as a high lottery pick, Randolph has virtually nothing in his statistical record to justify such a lofty selection. In particular, his woeful ball-handling numbers are a major red flag. Randolph had more turnovers than any prospect except Beasley and Thompson, but those two players had every play run through them; I’m still waiting to find out Randolph’s excuse. Additionally, his 49.9 true shooting percentage is alarmingly bad for a guy who is supposed to dominate athletically. He can block shots, and the fact his team was such a mess probably didn’t help his numbers any, but gambling on Randolph with a high first-round pick looks like the basketball equivalent of hitting on 19 in blackjack. Hey, maybe the dealer throws out a 2 and everyone thinks you’re a genius, but chances are you’re going to bust.

The Dallas Morning News, in its laudatory profile today, acknowledges the “bust” concern as well. All I know is, the guy has Tayshaun Prince-style wingspan. That’s got to count for something, right Wick?

Comments

12 responses to “Will Woodrow’s Own Anthony Randolph Be a Bust?”

1. Eric Celeste says:

Someone without commenting power e-mailed me the following reply:

After I read the Morning News article this morning on Randolph I found myself asking why write that big a piece on him, Randolph, when you have another big guy from Dallas, Darrell Arthur, who just won a National Title at Kansas and is a first round pick as well. Arthur played on a great team with other great players. (5 KU players are projected to be picked in the draft Thursday) Give me a kid like Arthur who knows what it’s like to play under the brightest lights any day. 20 points and 10 rebounds in the Championship game? Give me Arthur any day.

2. jrp says:

good call, Bethany, and Arthur’s gotten plenty of pub the past year or so while Randolph kinda flew under the radar despite his considerable talent

similar and true story about two twins that’ll be freshman on the Kansas squad next year

they’re both about 6’10” and won two Pa. state championships while playing at Prep Charter HS in south philly, where my sister teaches English

mi hermana failed the twins right before the state tourney their jr. year only to watch the charter school’s president decide “to not enter the grades into the system” prior to the tourney, putting an I for incomplete instead of an F, which woulda meant they’d be ineligible to play in the tourney

obviously my sister was incensed. so the prez called a meeting with the twins, their mother, and my sister that devolved into a shouting match where my sister said something to the effect of “your one son is dyslexic and the other can’t read above a 5th grade level”

to which the mom retorted “don’t matter ’cause they’re going to the NBA”

and sure enough they probably will

i can’t make this stuff up

welcome to our American school system where for many “you either slingin’ crack rock or got a wicked jump shot”

3. Zac Crain says:

Nice Biggie reference, jrp. And good (but sad) (but not surprising) anecdote.

On to Eric’s post: guys like Anthony Randolph scare me. They’re special athletes but that doesn’t always translate to basketball skill.

There have been unpolished, super-athletic guys who sort of match his profile–like Josh Smith of the Hawks–who have worked out just fine, but those guys showed at least a glimmer of on-court dominance. It was more something that needed to be harnessed rather than taught.

Anthony Randolph strikes me more as a guy who looks awesome in warm-ups and that’s about it.

4. Freeze says:

I disagree on Randolph. The bust-potential on him is high enough to where I can’t argue against him falling out of the lottery, but I think he’s got a real chance to be one of the top five players in this draft five years from now. I think people aren’t giving him enough credit on the offensive end (he’s a better shooter than Josh Smith). As for Slim Shady, he’s got a stress facture in one leg and a kidney problem that’s scaring away a bunch of teams (according to Bucher).

5. Zac Crain says:

Freeze, come on: Bucher?

6. Eric Celeste says:

You know how I know I’m gay? I like guys with length who can play both ways. That’s Brandon Rush, and I am in the tank for him. No way Mavs can get him, unfortunately, as they probably can’t do anything other than buying a late-20s pick. That probably means the guy Norm and The Mayor love: Chris Douglas-Roberts.

7. 1924 says:

Celeste, we’re with you on Rush. He goes hard inside, and has shown a gentle touch down low.

As far as Randolph goes, Pitino came into the restaurant when he was here recruiting the kid and seemed to imply that the jury was still out on his true ability, which still seems to be the case. As for us, we’re rooting like crazy for the local kid no matter what happens to him.

…but we would also like to add that we’ll take 6’8″, 275, 6 pts, 7 boards, 1.5 blocks, and defensive disruption over 7’0″, 215, good-outside-shooter-for-a-big” anyday. The former is a recipe for a 5yr-$55 mil gig, while the latter sounds like playing out your rookie contract then moving to Israeli ball. (we heart Newman Smith’s own, Jason Maxiell)

We truly hope Randolph works hard and is the stud so many think he can be.

Viva la Woodrow!

“guys with length?”

“He goes hard inside, and has shown a gentle touch down low?”

Mur. Mur.

9. wWw Spirit of '76 says:

Harumph. They said the same thing about our classmate, Alton Lister. 17 years in the NBA proved them wrong.

10. Zac Crain says:

I remember Alton Lister:

And I bet he remembers Shawn Kemp.