Tim Rogers Is the Hole to Alan Peppard’s Doughnut

Several of you have pointed me to today’s Peppard column, wherein he not only calls me his nemesis but also the hole to his doughnut and the Snidely Whiplash to his Dudley Do-Right. It’s all in reference to something I wrote in the “print product,” an important idea for reforming the ad valorem property tax.

I’ve had about enough of Peppard. I take property taxes seriously, as any homeowner should. Maybe Peppard doesn’t own a house. I don’t know. But I’m here to talk about substantive matters and advance a discussion that’s essential to this city’s survival. If all he wants to do is gossip about the rich people he’s met, that’s fine. I find it execrable.

I’ll turn comments on.

Comments

28 responses to “Tim Rogers Is the Hole to Alan Peppard’s Doughnut”

But did you touch Cher’s butt, Tim?

I think he just wanted to bring you up so he could say in print that he touched Cher’s butt.

2. MushMouth says:

Better than being the hot dog to his doughnut.

/nod to Jackie the Jokeman

3. DFWPotentate says:

Tim: Instead of getting mad, why don’t you address his criticisms directly?

If that doesn’t work, challenge him to a fight during recess.

4. El Rey says:

Peppard does have a fancy HP home to call his own, but methinks his wife does the pork fetching. His logic confounds me though. Let me see if I can use his logic to place a value on my home:

While my property is part of the noble history of this fair city, what occurred there is far more important. As John Neely Bryan was surveying his fair land into marketable plots, he discovered his future wife, whose family lived on the banks of the glorious creek (White Rock, for those not in the know). Later, the land was sold to the good Dr. Samuell, in whose home a houseguest sexually assaulted another houseguest and minor celebrity. After the Samuell family passed on, George Dealy was riding his fancy automobile through the countryside. The honored and glorious mayor had quite the full bladder, so he relieved himself on the tree in my backyard. Therefore my home should be worth a $$$Gazillion dollars.

Or you could just go touch Cher’s butt and make it all even.

6. allison says:

I kept waiting for the point of his article and then it ended.

Potentate: Probably because you can’t respond to Peppard’s blog comments without them being held for approval. Good luck with THAT.

8. Mike says:

Tim’s plan is stupid but I don’t get the point of Peppard’s column.

9. microdermer says:

What have we learned?
    1. Triple Chin is a celebrity groper.
    2. Tim got his name in bold print in the high profile column, no easy feat.
    3. Triple Chin can’t argue Tim’s point, but just regurgitates a Who’s Who of rich Dallasites associated with said residence.
    4. Tim’s point about revamping proprty taxes has some validity, but the “Pontiac of Justice” is still out on that one.
    5. Triple Chin likes donuts.

Personally I’d rather see alternate sources of taxation for city, county and school funding; part property (decreased reliance), part penny or two county sales tax increase, part state income tax w/ a county funding component.

10. Jay says:

You know who’s a name dropper? Sting.

All he could do at dinner was talk about famous people he knew. I said to him, Gordon (he only let’s a few people use his real name), give it a rest already. That Sting. What a name dropper.

11. Billusa99 says:

“Poppa Chubby” Peppard makes absolutely no sense at all. But, he does reconfirm that he really is the worst writer at the DMN.

On the days Steve Blow is silent, that is….

12. Drew says:

Touching Cher’s butt then saying “I got you babe”? Shudder.

Why are you Alan’s nemesis, Tim? Ever met the guy?

Admit it, Tim. You thrive on even the smallest amount of controversy.

Isn’t nemesis a word best reserved for people with their own action figures?

14. KE says:

Peppard owns a house on Beverly Drive worth about $750,000.

15. JS says:

I have no idea what the hell the point was of that trash. The donut hole analogy escapes and confuses me, resulting in tired head. Peppard has gone way down hill since leaving the A-Team.

JS, I think it’s about sex, but I could be wrong.

17. DM says:

Being all ADD, I just glanced at that and thought it was a headline written by Eddie Izzard:

“Tim Rogers is an A Hole and Alan Peppard is a doughnut”

sorry, I’ll try to focus better this afternoon.

18. Tim Rogers says:

Drew, I admit it. I thrive on controversy (and Hennessy). I know Alan and consider him a friend. Not good enough that either of us has been to the other’s house. But I’ve had drinks with the guy and regularly exchange e-mail with him. So I got a smirk out of the mention in his column and consider it an honor that he called me a hole.

I put up this post to draw people offsides. But I thought I gave plenty of clues: faux superciliousness, use of the term “execrable,” saying I didn’t know whether Peppard owned a house, and, most obvious I thought, telling everyone that I’d turn on the comments (an antiquated practice that we and every other blog gave up a long time ago).

19. JS says:

New band name: Excrable Doughnuts?

20. jrp says:

i was still in my stance when they snapped the ball…

thought i caught an overt sarcasm there but never sure with the D crew. and execrable is a great word, regardless

it’s generational with these geriatric DMN columnists, man. i beleive we Gen X journalists want full discourse among the masses, hence blogs

too many baby boomers that are still at newspapers and earning twice as much as many reporters just seem to want to write about who they know, how they meet them, and what drugs they did(n’t) take with them

the shite that peppard, steve blow, james ragland and jackie floyd write about is so far from what i discuss with friends over beers that i look at their columns now as trite comedic articles. because they’re not serious, are they? they’re trying to be funny right?

21. J.Paul says:

I think Peppard just wishes he knew how to quit you Tim.

22. the cynic says:

J.Paul saved the day. I was starting to nod off wading thru too many inane posts about a-holes and bold-faced donuts when J.Paul made me chuckle. People, PLEASE don’t make me wade thru 2-dozen posts for a chuckle or I’ll sign off (another archaic term, fellow information superhighway surfers) and go watch Geraldo re-runs.

23. Tom says:

Amen, jrp. DMN columnists are preaching to the baby boomers. Bloggers are all about the Gen X experience. The two mix about as well as oil and water.

I once tried to write a blog, Steve Blow style, but I snotted my screen.

25. Jack Jett says:

The day I read in Alan Peppard’s column that Michael Reagan preferred eating burnt toast while staying at The Mansion, was the day I realized I wasn’t in Hollywood anymore.

26. DFWPotentate says:

Bethany is rather disgusting.

27. Mike says:

All those fancy, boring parties where people get their picture taken for local media apparently benefit good causes. But I can think of little that’s less beneficial to society than being a society columnist in Dallas of all places. Jesus.

28. I did a video of this house months ago — just re-posted on DallasDirt. Mr. U has the most amazing office I’ve ever seen and oh, they have spent major bucks on interiors. I mean, major!