Assistant DA Crashes Into House

News comes to us this morning that Dallas County prosecutor Thomas Gatlin ran his car into a house Saturday, and that by the looks of things (e.g., open bottle of vodka onboard) he was drunk. A FrontBurnervian on the scene sends photos of the incident:

Dining

Dining

Comments

42 responses to “Assistant DA Crashes Into House”

1. CDD says:

Ohhh SNAP. This is pretty much the highlight of my week. I have the number of a great attorney, Thomas. You might recognize him from the table to your left in the court room most days.

2. drew says:

He wasn’t drunk, he was distracted while doing his moonlighting work for Google Maps:

Note window smashed by neighbors to stop ADA from fleeing the scene.

I’m picturing the video to Der Kommissar, in which our Eurotrash man careens through the frame(s), backlit by police-car lights in desperate and doomed flight.

Jesus, I’m old.

4. :) says:

I thought on the news this am they said the window was broken by neighbors trying to turn the ignition off.

When he ran into the house, he kept pressing on the gas pedal and the tires were spinning and causing fumes and smoke.

So the neighbors had to reach in and turn off the car to get it to stop. He was too out of it to know the car was not moving?

All of this, of course, allegedly.

That is what I thought they said?? But I may be wrong?

5. James says:

Drew-That made my day!!

6. Wes Mantooth says:

I think that should be worded as “soon-to-be-ex-Dallas County prosecutor Thomas Gatlin”.

7. Tim Rogers says:

:), you’ve got it right. The note on the pic and your fuller description tell the same story: neighbors smash window, put car in park, take keys.

8. ManDrake says:

He was just following the example of his boss. Mr Watkins has wrecked three cars. Once he hit a house. What’s the big deal!

9. Don says:

Is that a Crepe Myrtle down in the front yard!? Holy crap, Neil Sperry is going to be pissed!

10. dave little says:

what happened to the good old days when you could simply smash your car into a house and not cause a scene? i miss them.

11. Tobie B says:

do ya think he called 1 800 The Dogs?

12. Thomas Gatlin says:

Who builds their *&$^#% house in the middle of the road?

13. dazzling urbanite says:

That’s the trouble with neighborhoods up north – all the houses look alike so how do you know which one is yours after a few drinks?

14. publicnewsense says:

Is there a journalist following up on this by asking (a) what’s he doing in this neighborhood (b) is it possible he had a medical condition such as epilepsy because this sounds more like a seizure than a DWI and (c) is he married and does his wife know where he was?
    Oh, wait. I forgot what town I’m in. All the good questioners have been excused from further participation due to fluctuations in the company stock.

15. publicnewsense says:

And, oh, yeah, is that a personal car or is it a county car (leased and paid for by the county? owned by the county? reimbursed by the county?)

public, according to the story, “An open bottle of vodka was inside the car.”

17. CDD says:

I don’t know much about epilepsy, but I’m pretty sure drinking and driving is not one of the symptoms.

18. Jane says:

Hey unemployed lawyer… I hear Brian Loncar the ‘Texas Hammer’ needs some help with bedpans, changing his dressings and daily walks.

19. Puddin'Tane says:

Btw, Jim Adler is the “Texas Hammer”.

20. publicnewsense says:

Bethany, CDD,
    You don’t know that the vodka was opened in the crash or was already open. You don’t know if someone put it the car when they were breaking out the window. You don’t know if the guy was drunk or if he’s an actual epileptic. And that is why you need good reporters — to ask the questions when you poor sheep are satisfied with the official versions.

Uh….reporters pretty much go by the police report, right – at least initially. The accident just happened, after all.

At least, that’s how it worked when I was a crime reporter.

22. Jane says:

Whoops! Sorry Jim Adler…I get all of you dang lawyers mixed up.
    Thanks Puddin’.

23. Andrew says:

Let’s see. Open bottle of vodka. Car running into a house. Blood shot eyes. Unable to walk. Driver not acting sensibly. It must be epilepsy or lupus. Can somebody page Dr. House, please.

Maybe it’s dropsy. Or pleurisy. Or pernicious distemper.

25. amandacobra says:

I heard he has rickets and the only thing to soothe the pain is a bottle of Grey Goose and a spin around the neighborhood.

And seeing how tenacity is so important in the character of a prosecutor, it only makes sense that he tried valiantly to soldier on through that house even after that brick wall stopped his Pontiac of Justice.

26. Louis Skolnick says:

Classic case of Mopery perhaps?

27. PT says:

I believe that “Pontiac of Justice” is my new band name.

28. Joey says:

amandacobra ought to be in demand next time there’s a writers strike!!! And btw, most cops are in fact smart enough to tell the difference between a medical condition and alcohol intoxication. Give them some credit please…

29. Sean says:

Pontiac of Justice. How awesome!

30. James says:

“Pontiac of Justice” I’m crying…

31. Roscoe Purvis Coltrane says:

You stay classy Dallas.

32. Not Me says:

Don’t worry Mr. Gatlin, I’m sure Rick Harrison out in Kaufman County would hire a fellow drunk driver.

33. Jay says:

Great view of the approach shot courtesy of Google Maps. He just followed the white line straight in. Talk to me Goose.

34. JS says:

Stupid Garman.

35. publicnewsense says:

Sometimes the first story is the correct story….but, still, that’s why you have reporters asking questions….

36. Maybe he was trying to stage the house — bet it’s going to be on the market soon at a very good price. Address? (The things you have to do to sell homes in this market!!!)

37. James says:

looks like he made is way around betline too. with extra stops in Addison..

38. GMOM says:

All of you should write comedy – well, you do, but you know what I mean. This one made me laugh out loud!! Thanks

39. BCG says:

It infuriates me that some people have nothing better to do with their lives than enjoy the misery of others. This could have happened to anyone – be thankful that nobody was hurt.

40. AJP says:

Looks like there is a lot of people with too much time on their hands.