Comments

6 responses to “Why One Lovely and Talented Republican Will Vote For Obama”

1. Arec Barrwin says:

When Christine writes “Barack Obama embodies a new worldview,” I wonder what worldview she’s talking about — when Obama isn’t spouting empty platitudes and feel good rhetoric, his
    proposals are pure socialism, correction – communism, straight out of the teachings of Saul Alinsky and Karl Marx. It’s all centered around government control over everything from the energy industry, to home mortgages subsidized with our tax money, to government run healthcare, etc. etc.

2. Tim Rogers says:

Christine wrote in her op-ed: “As a man, I find Mr. Obama to be prudent, thoughtful, and courageous.”

Listen, I work with Christine, and I find this statement shocking. Because Christine doesn’t looking anything like a man.

3. Long Memory says:

Christine wrote: I’m tired of “wedge issues” that seek to divide one small portion of the electorate from another. I’m tired of exploiting ignorance and fear to raise money from little old ladies or to turn out the base. I’m even tired of hearing candidates endlessly invoke the name of Ronald Reagan, a man whose presidency ended a generation ago.

Given that she was once a part of the base, I an incredibly refreshed. I hope she can keep her feeling of adventure after all the mud that will be thrown around between now and November. (I’m not even taking into account the mud that’s being thrown around right now.)

4. Bobby Ewing says:

Arec aka Senator McCarthy: Obama = Karl Marx? I guess that would make Hillary an agent of the Russkies? And the movie business is obviously infiltrated with them. We better hold some hearings on the Hill about this. Get people to name names.

5. Ana M. says:

Aforementioned “freshness”, as one of the most common words used by Americans to explain an appeal of Mr. Obama, never ceases to amaze me.

Maybe to US-born person his proposals sound revolutionary and new. But, being born in Soviet Union, I already had a chance to experience first-hand both Universal healthcare, government freezing prices (or, in American case, mortgage rates), and “fair re-distribution” of income… Ha! Even obligatory community service for college students sounds like “Back in USSR” to me. – And then I remember how those great on paper proposals worked out, and understand why it was meant to happen. So “rotten” seems to me more adequate word to describe Obama’s plans than “fresh”.

Again, having attended Soviet history lessons at school, I know why socialist ideas might sound appealing. But living inside this system made me realize value of free market in every aspect of life. And I’m surprised to see how many people are willing to give it up. (Except for really rich people, who won’t have to deal with Universal healthcare and other govermnent-sponsored services anyway – so they aren’t losing that much by choosing whoever amazes them most.)

6. Little d says:

Christine is Lovely and Talented but I,a disappointed Republican, urge her to give Barack Obama a good, hard look before the March 4 primary.