Leading Off

1. The Mavs’ blockbuster trade for Jason Kidd is off for now, as Devean George refused to be included in the deal. No, I’m not Kidding. (Nailed it!)

2. An arrest warrant has been issued for ex-DART chairwoman/current forgery suspect Lynn Flint Shaw. I’m guessing sending a letter to DA Craig Watkins from DA Craig Watkins, absolving her of all charges, would only lead to more trouble.

3. High on my list of things I root against: homeowners associations.

Bonus Item: Lost, featuring Dallas’ own Elizabeth Mitchell, has been awesome this season. Will it get even awesomer tonight? And who are the Oceanic Six? Discuss.

Comments

15 responses to “Leading Off”

1. Josh Pearson says:

Devean George is my new favorite player.

2. julie says:

Homeowners Assoc are a necessary evil. Just wait until YOUR neighbor builds a theme park in their front yard, or erects an oil well in the back yard. Or lets the grass grow as high as their roof.

3. Nathan says:

Gee, that reminds me to write a check for my HOA dues. Oh wait, am I late? Hello, late fee…if it extends too much further, I guess they can put a lien on my Knox/Henderson condo because of a $250 check. Yeah, that makes financial sense.

4. Don says:

HOA’s are not a necessary evil. I live in a community that has deed restrictions, not an HOA. You know what, no one has built a theme park in their yard, or let their grass grow 15ft tall. Why? The city actually enforces the laws that are already on the books.

Point 2: If you have to have an HOA, it should be run by members of the community, but not those who live in that community. All too often I read of stories where it’s obvious that someone on the board has a personal vendetta against the person in question.

5. the amanda says:

HOA are not “necessary” by any stretch of the imagination. The constitution does not aford us the “right” to be free from the visualy offensive yard art. As to oil wells and them parks, or tall grass those are already prohibited by zoning,local laws, the fire marshall, and code enforcement. So we “need” another pseudo governmental authority? I don’t think so. Also, HOA’s are usually run by annoying busybody gadfly types with zero life. They are the same pathetic creatures we avoid at parties and at work. The HOA becomes the only thing that gives their lives value. I dare you to smite my garden gnome collection…

6. Chico Harris says:

The city can’t enforce private deed restrictions — neighbors have to sue one another to have them enforced.

That’s why we’ve seen a lot of Neighborhood Stabilization Overlays in Dallas that basically follow the private deed restrictions that are already in place. This moves enforcement from individual neighbors (an expensive and divisive process) to the city.

As far as HOAs, I dunno. Buyer beware.

7. Spamboy says:

The Oceanic Six are my HOA.

8. Curious says:

I’m in favor of any enforcement arm that keeps Adam’s living room furniture off of his roof, whether code compliance or HOA’s.

9. Don says:

Chico,

I didn’t mean to imply that the city enforced deed restrictions. That’s what I get for writing before my first cup of coffee.

10. jh says:

Zac, re your bonus item: Everybody in the Lost blogosphere knows who the Oceanic Six are. Jack, Kate, Hugo, Sayid, Jin and Sun are all spotlighted in Season 4 episodes, with flash-forwards to the post-Island future. Also spotlighted in other upcoming eps: Desmond, Juliet, and Michael. The latter presumably doesn’t count as one of the O6, probably because he assumes a new identity later.

11. MIssing Dots says:

Curious,

When HOAs don’t allow furniture on the roof then usually that furniture ends up in the lake. Just ask Tim.

12. Curious says:

Missing, you are right. I cannot deny the link between Tim and various sightings of inappropriate barcaloungery.

13. david says:

I obsess over Lost. Despite the people featured in the flash-forwards, we only know Jack, Kate, and Hugo for sure (http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Oceanic_Six). Sayid, Jin and Sun aren’t a done deal. And in fact, Kate might not be part of the Oceanic Six even though she did get off the island. Due to being wanted by the law, she might still be in hiding. My bet is Sayid, Claire, and… duh, duh, duh… Benjamin Linus. It’s a long shot. But since no one will see it coming, I’m calling it.

Okay, I’m a geek. I’ll stop now.

14. Mike says:

Kate got off the island, for sure, but she can’t be one of the Oceanic Six because of her criminal past. So it’s likely seven got off the island, if not more.

15. julie says:

Does that island have an HOA?