Jim Schutze Launches Ugliest Blog on Internet

You can read his explanation here. Short version: he’s got so much to say (about the collapse of daily newspapers) that if he tried to put it all on Unfair Park, he would challenge the supremacy of Robert “Fingers of Fury” Wilonsky. So he has to strike out on his own, here. As I say, the design is almost unbelievably atrocious. The person responsible? Avi Adelman. (!)

CLARIFICATION: As Avi Adelman himself points out in the comments, he didn’t design the site. He is hosting it on his server space. But as you’ll notice in my above post, I didn’t say Adelman designed it. I said he was responsible. Mr. Adelman, by hosting that thing, you commit a crime on the entire Internet. You, sir, are responsible.

Comments

43 responses to “Jim Schutze Launches Ugliest Blog on Internet”

1. Droopydave says:

I thought the design was terrible when I looked at it too! I’d probably put it on my RSS feeds, but, alas, it doesn’t support this. Awful…

2. GrantG says:

Dude, Frontpage 2002 is so…well, 2002.

3. Matt says:

Reminds me a lot of CelesteMedia.net

4. MIssing Dots says:

Dude, he said he might turn that page into a Flogging session. Is that legal?

5. SE says:

I’ve seen Frontpage designs look better than that! It was produced with CoffeeCup Visual Studio, according to the page source. Should we take up a collection for a copy of Dreamweaver for Avi?

6. BigRusty says:

Worst. Design. Ever.

7. SLR says:

Just like a blinkered liberal to go to a deranged gadfly, rather than someone who is actually competent to do it.

8. JB says:

Looks like a Scumpage that should be pissed on.

9. david says:

That design hurts my very soul… please Jim, try again and keep it simple.

Scumpage. Ha!

11. Justin says:

God awful ugly, no surprise Avi had a hand in it, the sites that he has designed look like they work hard to be terrible like it was some kind of contrarian branding scheme.

12. dave little says:

maybe someone peed on it. that’d be ironic, huh? hey, is this thing on? mic check, mic check, two, two.

13. AJ says:

Did I just download a virus? Is that what this site does?

14. Mantooth says:

Wow. Stunningly bad. Is that a picture of Adolf Hitler in the background? How did they forget to put a rotating color rainbow and an obnoxious set of cursors on that site? And MIDI music. It really needs some MIDI music that blasts out right at launch.

15. VM says:

Is he blind? How do you debut that?

16. Josh Pearson says:

Wow, I don’t have the words…

17. Rawlins says:

Like viewing a body. Not a nice body, mind you. One of those ‘they weren’t even cute when they were young’ type bodies.

18. Tim

Are you friggin off your meds?

I did NOT design Jim’s website, I am merely hosting it for him on my server space.

Jim did the design himself, and I have ZIP to do with it.

The next time you want to stick a knife up someone’s butt, please make sure you have it properly pointed.

Avi

19. Billusa99 says:

Well then, Avi, you shoulda stuck your nose in Jim’s business, too, and told him what a gawdawful site he had. What a stupid time to start going soft on us.

20. I just host them, I don’t critique them.

Aw dammit, life just ain’t worth livin’ when now we can’t call it scumpage no more.

22. Tim

I have not broken down a sentence since grade school, but let’s see if I can do it here.

(statement) As I say, the design is almost unbelievably atrocious. (query) The person responsible? (answer) Avi Adelman. (!)

Oversimplified at best, but the point is made – you blamed me for soemthing that is not my doing.

Your retraction is – at best – a poor excuse for humor when in fact you really screwed up.

By your logic, if I design a website for a restaurant and the food sucks, it’s my fault too???

Oh, I got one better than that… I design and manage a DailyCrimeReport.com – http://www.dailycrimereport.com

So does posting all those crime reports make me a criminal too??

Avi

23. typo alert – “soemthing” should be “something”

Hey, Tim, look – I took responsibility for my error! Too bad you can’t do the same.

24. Chris says:

please don’t fight mommy and daddy?

25. Deep Ellum says:

“So does posting all those crime reports make me a criminal too??”

No, Avi. But being a shakedown artist does.

26. AJ says:

So angry. Always angry.

27. Justin says:

Lame! Avi fakes indignation to drum up traffic for his crime site (which is only marginally less ugly than Jim’s site).

28. Lame, my butt!!

The whole purpose of blogging on this D site is to drum up more visitors and even magazine subscribers.

Do you think any of us are doing this for our altruistic health??

Heck, even Tim can fake righteous indignation when it suits his goals.

Avi

29. Groud the Jett says:

Do I need to start the Paddle the Adelman’s A$$ campaign?

30. Dee Rag says:

I would have to see an employee of D magazine design a site without the money of a Ebby Halliday or the promise of Best Webmaster.

Shultze’s honesty will always rub the arrogant and self indulged the wrong way. It is not about the look of the site, it is about the honesty it will produce that frightens Lil Timmy and the rest of Wick’s boy toys. A verbal lashing by any of the D folk is a badge of honor among the non pretentious. It is far superior than a Best of D or a Katie Award.

31. david says:

“Lil Timmy and the rest of Wick’s boy toys”

I have the title for my next comic book.

I’m conflicted. I love reading Jim Schutze’s stuff. I really do. However, I can’t look at his website without cringing. That’s not being pretentious — I just enjoy good design.

Schutze’s response: “Hey, I’ll say this for my web design. Apparently, judging from the vehemence of the response, it was so bad that it wasn’t boring.”

So bad that it wasn’t boring? I think boring would be better. Your current design is distracting from your words. No hate. Just keep it simple.

32. Jim Schutze says:

Don’t blame Avi. I am the source of all evil, the Beelzebub of Blogs. He offered. I was too cheap. I am contrite. I am turning myself in for a makeover today. Tim, I swear, I would shoot myself over this, if it wouldn’t be such a waste on account of my being so cool in every other way imagineable.

33. Tim Rogers says:

Jim, if you shot yourself, I’d make love to your corpse. That’s how highly I think of you. I feel certain that Jim 2.0 will be a huge improvement, and I’m looking forward to it.

34. Jim Schutze says:

Funny. I’ve never seen you at any the association meetings.

God damn it, we are all poorer men if we cease to use Avi as a repository for our seething contempt. What’s more, he doesn’t seem to mind, as it gives him reasonable cause to be hostile, which in turn is so amusing as to delight the benighted cubicle farmer.

For the betterment of society, I assert plainly that Avi designed the abominable scumpage in question. Whether it’s true or not, it’s the right message at the right time to help this nation heal.

36. Miss M says:

If Tim makes love to Jim’s corpse, would that make me a necrophiliac by association if I, in turn, let him make me forget that I am a lady?

Let’s try it.

37. Peg says:

I have to jump in here. I’m Schutze’s little sister. I saw Jim’s site and thought, wow, that’s ugly, but did this make me have a cybertrantrum? No, it didn’t. Did I offer to re-do his site for him? Well, no but that’s HIS fault, he didn’t even ask me because he thinks I’m a dork! But I think he’s a brilliant writer and you guys are bubbleheads for wasting so much energy on the site design and not the content. Okay, I haven’t read it either, but STILL! gawd!

38. JimS says:

Oh, my God, Peg! My sister! Are you still alive?

Thanks a lot, Peg. It will come back to you.

40. Peg says:

Yes, Jim, I AM still alive and I am still a brat. I’m thinking of doing an online auction of JimSchutze-facts your readers might enjoy, like your childhood nickname, or why Mom & Dad used to make you wear that funny costume, you know, good stuff.

But first I’m going to read your wanky story (http://www.jimschutze.org/default.htm) about the newspaper guy. It makes me sad that these publications are dying. I love newspapers; remember when Mom used to put the Detroit Free Press in the blender with Tang powder and then fry it up for us for breakfast? Did you like that little link I put in there to your story? Now will you pay me back the money you owe me?

41. JimS says:

Wow.The flood of memories. I owe it all to FrontBurner. Of course I remember I have a sister. Now. And in fact I remember our mother’s special mischief in the kitchen, which I have resolved in my heart as a very early precursor of women’s liberation.

42. rl says:

Wow – Jim your site DOES suck. I would think Avi could design something better than that…

Avi – you suck at designing websites.