Where Does Wick Allison Live?

Jim Schutze took issue yesterday with a little ditty we ran in the January edition of the “print product.” We had a look at where the media types live who influenced the Trinity debate. One address we didn’t include: that of our boss, Wick Allison. Jim said that wasn’t cricket, only he put it this way:

I might even have argued in a story meeting that a dot over Allison’s house on Versaille would have been the most interesting dot on the map — sparking, perhaps, the whole question of why a bunch of rich carpetbaggers who are too good to live in the city think they should be able to run the city. I pose that question academically and as a dispassionate observer, not as an expression of any personal bias.

But leaving him out truly sucks. Even [James] Ragland, who voluntarily lives in Paris, Texas, could make a legitimate beef out of this. You can’t make fun of everybody else in town and then conspicuously cover up your own boss without looking like a big fat wing-flapping pigeon-toed awp-awp-awp CHICKEN!

Schutze has a point. We should have included a dot on the map for Wick. But the reason we left it off wasn’t because we were trying to hide his Highland Park address. It was because including Wick on the map would have meant putting two dots on it for him. While Wick’s legal residence is in HP (which prevents him from voting in Dallas elections), he actually lives in Uptown.

Here’s an updated map. The stars represent Wick.

pulse_map.jpg

Comments

43 responses to “Where Does Wick Allison Live?”

1. Jack Jett says:

So you couldn’t note Wick’s address because it would have required TWO dots????

Is there a shortage of dots at D?

2. Don says:

Does anyone else get the same “kick in the nuts” feeling that I do when I see that Jack posted a comment. Ugh.

3. Gwyon says:

What kind of reason is that?

4. Stuart says:

Yes, Don, I do. Jack Jett is the comment king (or queen?)

5. Chuck Norris says:

Watch it Dan, or you’ll get another one.

6. Ron says:

What, is the HP address Wick’s summer home??? How is the address where he actually lives not his “legal” address?

While you should be commended for (being shamed into) amending your map (if only on this relatively-lightly-read blog), this just raises more questions.

I like Dots. I get them when I go to the movies.

8. BP says:

As long as you’re amending the map, shouldn’t the “Ragland dot” really be floating in the air about 3 feet to the right of my monitor?

9. nate says:

What is the other address? His illegal address?
    Is this divorce stuff? Real-estate ventures?
    Why not just issue a mea culpa on this?
    Why doesn’t WICK himself blog on the issue?
    I have a feeling this is a tempest in a teapot; ultimately I don’t care who lives in HP and who lives in Paris, Texas. But by not coming clean…

Keep ‘splanin’, Tim.

10. JB says:

If Wick, et al. cannot comment on the Trinity because they do not live in the city of Dallas, then Schutze, Jett, et al. should not comment on the Bush Library and the Mockingbird Lane expansion in the Park Cities if they live outside the bubble. This, of course, is absurd logic as anyone who lives anywhere near the Trinity, Bush Library, or any type of impacting develpoment in this area will certainly affect all of us personally and businesswise regardless of where our specific property taxes are assessed.

11. amanda says:

Just like Schutze, in his zeal to uncover “truth,” to assign ill intent to everything, and unwittingly drag a few innocents across the coals in his zest for that freaking park.

12. Ron says:

Groundedjett.

Why does his post bother you so much as opposed to others? What does he have to pimp?

13. RB says:

ron:

maybe it’s the frequency of jett’s comments that is annoying. maybe it’s the stupid s*** he says. probably a little bit of both. as far as “what does he have to pimp,” you might notice that he’s the only person whose alias is hyperlinked to a personal website

14. Jason says:

No one is forcing anyone to click on Jett’s link.

15. amanda says:

Don’t talk about her . It encourages her.CATFIGHT looms.

with mud?

17. amanda says:

You got some? Jett maybe be allergic.

Please. There’s gotta be a big bag of it left over from that Trinity stuff somewhere, right?

19. That Jett clown posts so much it’s clear he thinks the comments section are an audition to be a FB blogger.

Hey Jack E. Jett, if people want to read your every thought, they’ll check out your website.

Sincerely,

Ground the Jett, Chairman
    Campaign for a Jack E. Jett Free Society

20. Ron says:

You complaints about Jett are as weak as Tim’s explanation of the “dots”. He uses his real name and comments frequently and for that he is pimping. Why isn’t he posting now?

21. Liles says:

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at that story meeting.

Tim: “Ok, where do we put Wick’s dot? In PC or Uptown?”
    Wick: “Hold on a second there, little buddy.”
    Tim: “Why? What’s up?”
    Wick: “I don’t want that Jack E. Jett guy knowing where I live.”
    Tim: “Why not?”
    Wick: “Because my privacy is precious and I don’t want him following me around like a TMZ parasite.”
    Tim: “So we should pretend that you don’t live anywhere? Won’t that raise a red flag with Schutze?”
    Wick: “Schutze is a REAL journalist. No one around here pays attention to honest reporting or the Dallas Observer. It’s that Jack E. Jett freak that I’m really worried about.”
    Tim: “Oh, come on, Wick. It’s just a dot. No one will even notice.”
    Wick: “No dot. Anywhere.”
    Tim: “I don’t know. This is gonna come back to bite us in the ass.”
    Wick: “That’s exactly what I’m worried about, Timmy. No connecting the dots. Not on my watch…”

22. JB says:

I certainly would be worried about Jack Jett biting my ass too.

23. yibba says:

RE: Ron @ January 4th, 2008 at 11:14 am

Have to agree with this. WTF kind of explanation is this?

24. Jack Jett says:

I have been asked to leave this blog due to the Ground the Jett Movement. I think this comment by this person speaks to the real issue….. “I started the groundthejett campaign whent he comments first started.”
    _______

So someone was out to “ground” me when I “first started”. Somehow this person knew he would not like my comments from the get go….MMMM?

One thing I want to make clear is that I have nothing to “pimp” or sell. I have zero interest in working for Wick Allison as a blogger. I have never discussed my career, yet I have used my real name and never tried to hide behind some moniker. While many like to dish snarkiness, some of the same don’t appreciate the taste of it.

So Grounded, you were off base on that one. My confusion lies in the fact that I found most of the comments witty and smart. I enjoyed reading them.

Sorry to those of you who I rubbed the wrong way. I hope that some of you will continue to question authority as we know they are not alway right.

Peace,

Jack (don’t look at my website) Jett

Word of advice….Don’t say any thing negative about Wick, Tim, or Rod Dreher if you want to continue to post under your current moniker.

Thanks Tristan!

26. amanda says:

You are welcome Beth. Glad we got something acomplished.

Wick still didn’t get dots. He got stars.

28. amanda says:

Let’s clarify that there are 2 Amandas on this chain, okay?

29. Ron says:

Are there more than one Ron? What happened to Jett.
    I thought there was only one Amanda on this site. I have seen about 3 Bethany’s which is odd since that name is uncommon. I think that Don and Chuck Norris might be the same person, and I suspect that could really be Chuck Norris himself. How awesome would that be?

30. amanda says:

I am the Amanda that has been posting on the site since they allowed commenters. I don’t know of any other and haven’t seen any other.

amanda #1

I’m so confused, Thing 1 and Thing 2.

32. Ron says:

Can someone explain why Jett makes a comment questioning the lack of dots and this group attacks him for it as if he had just created a jihad? Then if you look at those who made the comments about throwing mud in his face are the same group that have bashed everything he has said, yet contributed nothing to the conversation other than that. Even the Ground man admits he tried to stop him (Jett) before when he first started. I suspect that this group might be dominated by those who Jett calls to task.
    Is this a blog or a venue for Wick to vent without discussion? I think Liles has the right understanding of what is going down.

Ok…first, tongue – cheek – now.

Me, I was merely hoping for some man on man mud wrestling.

I think if you go back and read the posts – this time with your tongue planted firmly in your cheek – you’ll find that some of us were subtly (perhaps too subtly for some, I guess) commenting on some of the absurdness going on with the whole, “Let’s stop one poster from posting because we don’t like the fact that he hyperlinks” thing.

34. Don says:

First let me clarify, I am not Chuck Norris and I am not voting for Huckabee.

My initial comments stemmed from the constant, and I mean constant, peppering of Jack posts. When timed correctly, his posts are amusing and I like that he pokes Wick with a stick. However, the comments sections were turning into the Jack show. Everything in moderation, buddy.

35. Tim Rogers says:

You guys are the best for keeping this thread going longer than 38 comments. For the record, Liles, Wick doesn’t attend story meetings. Stopped about two years ago. Schutze was right: we should have dotted Wick. But we didn’t dot him not because he told us not to (trust me, he is no longer involved in the day-to-day) but rather because we were lazy and/or scared and didn’t want to broach the subject of his multi-dottedness with him.

Come on, guys (and gals). Let’s shoot for 50 comments!

36. Topham says:

So did this Allison person rend the very fabric of the space-time continuum, thereby allowing him to exist in two places at once? In other words, what’s up with the two addresses?

37. Ron says:

—————–

38. Cassie says:

Wick has a homestead exemption on his HP home… so who lives there?

39. Julie says:

Re: GTJ….

That’s so Dallas. Afraid of anything that’s a little different. Hey, Mr. GTJ–there’s lots and lots of interesting people in the world, most are different from you, and that’s what makes the world a fascinating place to live in.

I for one would like to see Jack Jett back on here..because if he’s not here, then the narrow -minded GTJ’s of the world win.

Come Back Jack!!