Highland Park Fountain Demolished

For the past couple days, on the way to work, I’ve been watching workmen tinker with the fountain in the middle of the road, where Oak Lawn turns into Preston. I figured they were just sprucing the thing up. But no. This morning they were jackhammering the fountain. WTF, mate? Surely that’s some sort of historical landmark.

highlandparkfountain.jpg

Comments

17 responses to “Highland Park Fountain Demolished”

1. MIssing Dots says:

One can only hope they are putting in a much grander fountain with the likeness of one Marty Cortland. I know I’d pitch a few pennies into the fountain to help defray the cost of his wife’s spending habits.

2. Jason says:

According to Trey, the sounds you hear emanating from those jackhammers would be called “progress”. Isn’t the fountain just taking up space, requiring maintenance which is funded by WE the Taxpayers! now if you put a Starbucks there, then, hell yeah, you’d have the American dream.

3. Rawlins says:

This fountain is only ‘historical’ if the mid-late 1980s (when it was built) qualify. It is-was called the Priddy Fountain, a gift from a family named Priddy. There were terrible problems with the workings of this fountain from day one, construction horror stories galore. So all I can guess is that the maintenance on this was not covered in the family gift (?) and that the issue was all about high-maintenance upkeep appearances and money. As is, now that I think of it, the case with many of the trophy wife/ man-child golf-a-holic households nearby.

4. Tim Rogers says:

Thanks, Bethany. And huzzah to the People people. Glad they’re not planning to remove it.

5. James says:

I’m surprised the jackhammers haven’t been fined for some sort of noise violation.

6. J. says:

I suppose its partly my fault as my fellow students and I at HP once drove by and threw detergent in the fountain to make it bubble over. I guess it finaly blew out the motor or something.

7. the amanda says:

who hasn’t put tide in that thing…or snider plaza…or smu? good times…

8. Mantooth says:

“Historical landmark” and “Highland Park” don’t belong together in the same sentence unless in opposition to one another. There’s not a thing in HP that wouldn’t be bulldozed in the name of something greater and/or more opulent. I’m continually amazed that HP Village, despite its historical context, hasn’t been razed.

9. Trey Garrison says:

“According to Trey, the sounds you hear emanating from those jackhammers would be called “progress”.”

And I would be right. Thank you for the vote of confidence.

10. GMOM says:

Ever put Tide in the hole @ Turtle Creek and Fitzhugh? Awesome!!

11. Rawlins says:

No, but when I was a kid climbing into those tunnels… and we played ‘Doctor and Nurse’, we did ‘that’ there. Read between THOSE lines. Ah, youth.

12. Amandax9362 says:

Williams Square in Las Colinas, makes it look like the horses are in snow 🙂

13. kt says:

i am bulldozing the fountain for my new 9000 sq ft house. we’re going up!

14. Neal says:

kt — Yay! Please please please tell me your new home will have a turret.

15. Jose says:

Did the photo remind anyone else of this classic album cover?

16. houston says:

wonder if the jackhammer operator and the workers can use their cell phones while demolishing this fountain? guess one could stop this “demo” by calling out IMMIGRATION