Dallas Diner Wants Good Vegetarian Food

vege.jpgLast week I learned that our own Zac Crain is a vegetarian. Hmm, who knew? Anywhoo, I just got this note from a frustrated FrontBurnervian Foodie:

I just moved to Dallas a few months ago and I’m having a hell of a time finding good food. I’m a vegetarian (eat seafood) and would like your recommendations.

Dude, ask Zac, you’re technically not a vegetarian if you eat fish, but don’t get me started on all of that crap, you know, degrees of vegetarianism. (My girlfriend’s teenager is a vegetarian except for bacon.) What. Ever. I’m short on time here, but our buddy Scott at dallasfood.org has done a fabulous job of reporting on upscale vegetarian. I’ll leave a comments box open below if anyone wants to help this Joe Blow. Back to you, Zac.

Comments

25 responses to “Dallas Diner Wants Good Vegetarian Food”

1. Sean says:

Is the Cosmic Cup still over on Oak Lawn? El Chico has cheese enchiladas.

2. Rawlins says:

Now there’s a hot tip. I’ve always wondered where in Dallas I might find a cheese enchilada.

3. Nancy says:

most cheese enchiladas are dipped in lard and therefore off limits to real vegheads. Rawlins, be nice.

4. Nancy says:

sorry i copy and pasted wrong comment. Most cheese enchiladas are covered in meat sauce or dipped in lard at some point making them off limits. Rawlins, still be nice.

5. Danno says:

First of all, Nancy u da bomb.
    Most Texans ask in horror, Why do you not eat meat?!? My answer.
    20years ago I was on a first date with a HOT Actress, as we were being seated she exclaimed ” You don’t eat meat do you?.. “Of Course not” I said. I never ate meat again.

Here is a list of veggie and veg friendly joints that I frequent.

Website-http://dfwnetmall.com/veg/vsod.htm

Kalachandji’s E Dallas ****
    Vege Suma Cafe- Richardson ****
    India Palace- Lemmon ****
    Glorias- have to ask ***
    Thai Riffic ***
    Thai Taste ***
    Thai at Lovers and Tollroad*******
    Dream Cafe ****
    Fadis *******
    Jasons Deli ****
    BK and Subway have veggie burgers

6. Ron says:

Veggie Garden in Richardson is very good.
    The Buddhist Temple in Richardson is also good, they have a lunch buffett, as does Veggie Garden.
    Maybe the best in DFW is Spiral Diner in FW, it’s vegan and a second location is set to open in North Oak Cliff in the next couple of months.

7. Ron says:

And yes Cosmic Cafe is still there and is very good too.

8. TG says:

Scott from DallasFood.org is awesome!!!

Fish are really dumb. Probably dumb enough to be considered vegetables. So are chickens, btw.

10. Mandy says:

Fadi’s Mediterranean Grill at Knox and 75 isn’t a vegetarian restaurant, but there are a bazillion vegetarian options there, and everything is incredibly tasty.

Fish are really dumb, it’s true. HOT actresses, on the other hand, tend to be brilliant. And bacon is second only to girlfriends’ teenagers in the “trenchant analysis” department.

My suggestion: Austin.

12. Nancy says:

Kirk, two good blog jobs

13. […] Yesterday, I asked local vegetarians to list their favorite spots. Check the comments. Awesome job, vegheads. Keep ‘em coming. […]

14. Kirk says:

NRNN

(Nice response, Nancy Nichols)

15. Zac Crain says:

Since no one has mentioned these yet: Madras Pavillion in Richardson (Coit and Belt Line-ish) is really solid vegetarian Indian, and it has a great lunch buffet.

And the Stoneleigh P has the best veggie burger in town. No question. I’ve tried them all

Also, for a post-drinking alternative to, say, Denny’s, Buzzbrews is greatness. I know someone already gave it a shout out, but it’s worth mentioning again, just for the fact that you can get veggie sausage.

16. Nikki Crain says:

Uh…hello!? I know it’s already been mentioned but zac forgot to say SPIRAL DINER (http://spiraldiner.com/main/index.htm) is opening soon. very very soon..i hope. it is the best.

for Madras Pavillion, please note that the buffet is lunch only and is really the best time to go so you can sample everything and not accidentally get something yucky. dallas might be in the middle of cow country, but you can still get very good veg meals.

17. Elizabeth says:

Zac… Curiosity killed… well, a veggie burger. What kinda burger does the Stoneleigh P have? Are we talking Boca-like, chock full ‘o’ veggies, portabella or what?

Nancy… love the acronyms… But really… You gotta spell out WTGKB for me.

If you’re ever in good ol’ Garland… Siciliano’s (Buckingham and Shiloh) has a FANTASTIC white (mozzerella, asiago, and ricotta) pizza with broccoli, zucchini, and ‘shrooms. Endless garlic rolls… need I say more?

18. Nancy says:

Way To Go Kirk Brewer

19. […] Research has shown that vegetarianism improves health, encourages weight loss, reverses aging, extends life span, and lower cholesterol (time.com). If you smell some bacon and start to feel your willpower weakening, watch Food Inc or McLibel — both movies turned me off of meat for a while… On the other hand, others argue that “as a species… we have been happily eating meat for at least two million years, and probably much longer” (straightdope.com). (Image: Dmagazine.com.) […]