The results are in. The James Beard Foundation has released its latest accounting of award-worthy restaurants and chefs in America. It’s best to think of it as the Oscars of dining.
The roster of semifinalists that was announced last month has been significantly whittled down. North Texas has disappeared from all national categories, except for one: Tiffany Derry’s Roots Southern Table made the cut for Best New Restaurant. (Pause for cheering, hooting, and, if you like, hollering.) Derry also will compete for Best Chef: Texas, a regional award.
Sadly, our other Dallas semifinalists didn’t make it to this round, but we’re proud of ‘em nonetheless: Maricsa Trejo (La Casita Bakeshop) for Outstanding Baker; José for Outstanding Hospitality; Sachet for Outstanding Wine Program, and Las Almas Rotas for Outstanding Bar Program.
Special shout out to Austin’s Edgar Rico of Nixta Taqueria, who earned a nod for Emerging Chef. If you haven’t been to this little spot in a quiet corner of East Austin, go now. (Actually, run.)
The winners will be announced on June 13, 2022 at the Lyric Opera Hall in Chicago.
Best Chef: Texas
- Tiffany Derry, Roots Southern Table, Farmers Branch, TX
- Christine Ha and Tony J. Nguyen, Xin Chào, Houston
- Quy Hoang, Blood Bros. BBQ, Bellaire, TX
- Steven McHugh, Cured, San Antonio, TX
- Iliana de la Vega, El Naranjo, Austin
Best New Restaurant
- Angry Egret Dinette, Los Angeles
- Bacanora, Phoenix
- BARDA, Detroit
- Dhamaka, NYC
- Horn BBQ, Oakland, CA
- Kasama, Chicago
- Leeward, Portland, ME
- Owamni, Minneapolis
- Oyster Oyster, Washington, D.C.
- Roots Southern Table, Farmers Branch, TX