A few weeks ago, I had a lovely lunch at Flower Child in Inwood Village. The restaurant is part of the Phoenix-based Fox Restaurant Concepts (True Food Kitchen, The Arrogant Butcher, and Culinary Dropout). The menu is inspired by “food enlightenment” and promises to serve “healthy food for a happy world.”
I ended my meal with a muffin-style lemon cake. After the first bite, my mouth exploded with lemon. As a gluten-free diner, I was amazed at the texture of the cake. Even though gluten-free baked goods have come a long way, most desserts and breads lack the texture of the gluten-maximus alternatives. This lemon wonder was wet like a rum cake. That is because it’s made with olive oil.
I urge you to eat this cake or, if you are so inclined, make it at home. I’ve secured the recipe! You can substitute whole wheat flour if you prefer.
3 whole eggs
1 1/3 cups evaporated cane sugar
4 tsp lemon zest
6 1/2 ounces coconut milk
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp vanilla paste
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (freshly juiced and strained)
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (or flour of your choice)
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer or with a hand mixer, combine eggs, vanilla and 1 1/3 cups of sugar. Whip for approximately 10 minutes until fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl, combine oil, zest, juice, coconut milk, and water. Slowly add to mixer until fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, 3/4 cups of sugar, salt, soda, and powder together. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Add flour mixture to the wet mixture in thirds, mixing until combined before each addition.
5. Spray and sugar-coat muffin pans; pour the batter evenly into each opening.
6. Bake in a 315-degree oven for 13 minutes. Rotate pan and cook an additional 13 minutes on the low heat setting.
7. Cool completely before unmolding from the pans.
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cup organic powdered sugar
1 tsp fresh squeezed and strained lemon juice
1 fluid oz coconut milk
1. Whisk ingredients together until smooth. Wait until cakes are cooled before drizzling the glaze over them.
Makes 12 cakes.